Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA MMA-A cable issue  (Read 4045 times)

Online WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
DPA MMA-A cable issue
« on: November 12, 2021, 04:38:46 PM »
I have had two lightening-to-microUSB cables crap out in the past few weeks, for two MMA-A d:vices which I have been using for the past few years.  The cable outside insulation near the lightening connector has cracked (both about 2-3 years old, used but not mistreated or jerked around much).  While I have a new cable on order from DPA, I don't feel like continuing to spend $70 for a piece of junk cable.  Does anyone have another source, known to work with the MMA-A (to iPhone), preferably cheaper and/or more durable than the garbage DPA provides??

Help!

Jeff

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maplewood, MN
Re: DPA MMA-A cable issue
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 08:08:04 AM »
Hello Jeff,

Checking to see if you were able to find a suitable replacement cable? 

Thanks,

David
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Online WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 08:34:44 AM »
Hello Jeff,

Thanks,

David

No luck far.  DPA will not give any info on what is needed (clearly the cable has to provide power from the iPhone to the MMA-A and take an audio signal from the MMA-A to the phone, have not found any that do this nor have I found anyone who will try to make one) and offered me a 10% discount on their unsatisfactory cable (I can do as well at B&H with the Payboo sales tax break).  I think the US DPA guys don't know, and the Danish ones do not answer.

For the Sonosax SX-M2D2-to-iPhone the Apple camera dongle works fine, but that does not require any power from the iPhone, the dongle does not help with any cable I have tried for the MMA-A.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 09:08:33 AM »
Hello Jeff,

Thanks,

David

No luck far.  DPA will not give any info on what is needed (clearly the cable has to provide power from the iPhone to the MMA-A and take an audio signal from the MMA-A to the phone, have not found any that do this nor have I found anyone who will try to make one) and offered me a 10% discount on their unsatisfactory cable (I can do as well at B&H with the Payboo sales tax break).  I think the US DPA guys don't know, and the Danish ones do not answer.

For the Sonosax SX-M2D2-to-iPhone the Apple camera dongle works fine, but that does not require any power from the iPhone, the dongle does not help with any cable I have tried for the MMA-A.

Thanks Jeff!  The cable that I need is the one that will "provide power from the iPhone to the MMA-A and take an audio signal from the MMA-A to the phone".  That's pretty disturbing that the DPA support staff isn't offering support on their product.  Please let me know if you're able to find a suitable cable to connect the iPhone to the MMA-A.  I need a cable soon and I really don't want to send DPA $70 for a "disposable cable" that won't hold up to normal use.

thank you,

David

Online WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 10:30:20 PM »
Cables for the Shure MV51 and certain IK Multimedia mics look like they should be providing power from an iPhone via lightening port connection to a micro USB, and replacement cables for these are much less money.  However, even if they are wired correctly, the micro-USB connection on the MMA-A is quite snug, and many ordinary USB micro cables that I have won't even plug in to it.  If you have to grind down the exterior of the micro USB end, whatever possible gain you get from a more robust lightning connector end (if in fact it is better) would be offset by a funkier USB micro end.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 11:16:32 PM »
Is it any different than a micro-USB  <> Lightning cable you could buy from Amazon?

Couldn't hurt to order a few from Amazon. They take returns. If they don't work...send them back.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Online WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2021, 11:46:50 PM »
I have a few such cables.  None of them work.

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2021, 10:28:57 AM »
What an unfortunate set of circumstances and I'm sorry to hear about these issues. I've always been concerned about the connecting cable, although that was more related to the micro-b end as they always seemed somewhat fragile to me. It really makes you wonder what is different about the cable and the design. There are only 5 connections on the micro-b cable and 8 on the lightning. In a quick Google search, it appears there are some "customizations" including resistors on the power connectors - perhaps the MMA is expecting some unique form of resistance?

Are either of the lightning cables showing any signs of the pin 4 failure shown below?

mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Online WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2021, 11:04:08 AM »

Are either of the lightning cables showing any signs of the pin 4 failure shown below?

No.  The non-DPA cables are new.  The two "bad" DPA cables both still work, but the insulation near the lightning end is frayed and cracked, exposing the wires.  I have used them with electric tape patching, but this leaves me concerned that they will fail with the least stress.

DPA charges more than double what Shure and IK Multimedia ask for their longer micro-USB-to-lightning cables.  Clearly they expect us to believe there is some magic sauce there.  If you know any reliable computer USB/lightning techs who might be able to dissect and build a copy, I'd be happy to provide a cadaver to operate on.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2021, 06:59:35 AM »

No.  The non-DPA cables are new.  The two "bad" DPA cables both still work, but the insulation near the lightning end is frayed and cracked, exposing the wires.  I have used them with electric tape patching, but this leaves me concerned that they will fail with the least stress.

DPA charges more than double what Shure and IK Multimedia ask for their longer micro-USB-to-lightning cables.  Clearly they expect us to believe there is some magic sauce there.  If you know any reliable computer USB/lightning techs who might be able to dissect and build a copy, I'd be happy to provide a cadaver to operate on.

Hello Jeff,

Have you tried either one of these cables?

https://www.moon-audio.com/shure-kse1500-micro-b-to-lightning-cable.html?sku=shure-kse1500-microb-ltn-8%22&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzMGNBhCyARIsANpUkzMLaprS6RUHfShCa-zpatP0BPPlX4bWoNlGag9x6hx7lX0zq2kUoFsaApq2EALw_wcB

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IPCab8PMUSB--ik-multimedia-ip-cable-8pmusb-in-lightning-to-micro-usb-cable

thanks,

David

Online WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2021, 11:57:52 AM »
I have not tried them, but I might give the Shure cable a try.  The micro USB end of the IK cable looks too fat to fit in the MMA-A slot.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2021, 11:12:18 AM »
I have not tried them, but I might give the Shure cable a try.  The micro USB end of the IK cable looks too fat to fit in the MMA-A slot.

I ordered one of the Shure cables.  It should be here next week.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline Niels

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2021, 11:21:04 AM »
FWIW, I am on my 3rd IK micro usb -> lightening cable which I use with my iRigPRE HD. It is the usb end that fails, it is very sensitive to bending close to the plug.
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RØDE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2021, 04:23:18 PM »
Might be wise to heat shrink any currently working cables for a few inches at either end to create a more robust strain-relief.  Good to use several overlapping layers, longest installed first with progressively shorter ones each following layer, which makes for a nice progressive bend as moving away from the connector along the cable.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Online WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2021, 10:12:14 AM »

I ordered one of the Shure cables.  It should be here next week.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Look forward to hearing if this works!

Thanks.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com