Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Advice needed for recording with Sony PCM M10+Roland CS10 Binaural  (Read 1695 times)

Offline aero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Hello there,
I'm testing a pair of Roland CS-10EM binaural microphones/headphones with my Sony PCM -M10.

Initial impression is that is a lot better than expected.
I had the Ambeo set from Sennheiser but apart from the fact that it broke down after a week the sound of the Rolands seems much better.

However I wanted to ask some advice on which recording setting to use.
I noticed that feedback comes in pretty fast, if you try to have a good recording level and a good monitoring level.
It is indeed noted in the manual that feedback might present itself (the Ambeo didn't have this particular problem so much).

At the moment the only setting that always works seems the one to leave recording level on 'auto' and mic sensitivity to 'low'.

Any advice on how to best set this combo?

Any feedback much appreciated :)

Val

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Advice needed for recording with Sony PCM M10+Roland CS10 Binaural
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 06:08:17 PM »
About all I could suggest would be to set the recording level so that it modulates well, but doesn't overload, and then set the playback level so that you don't get feedback - if you get feedback I'd say your playback level is set to an ear-damaging level!   Also, consider using Comply foam buds which hold the earphones much better in the ear which helps them not to fall out mid-recording, and isolates the mics more to avoid feedback.

Offline aero

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 04:39:37 AM »
Thanks that's good advice, I'll try to get better earbuds

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 08:44:22 AM »
My advice is not to use monitoring on critical recordings. It will affect the recording when you least want it.
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RĂ˜DE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

Offline aero

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2022, 09:16:23 AM »
My advice is not to use monitoring on critical recordings. It will affect the recording when you least want it.

That actually crossed my mind and I might do it from time to time, thanks for the advice :)

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2022, 09:24:27 PM »

Depends on the environment - with well-fitting buds and no monitoring, I sure wouldn't cross a road.  Seriously.  If monitoring is set to a real-life level (ie no amplification above what you'd hear anyway) there should be no problem.

Offline DATBoy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2022, 11:00:01 PM »

I've used this setup for a long time. I disagree. It's completely optional to monitor on anything - critical ones or not. If I remember correctly, by not monitoring ANYTHING while recording, you are likely saving some power from the recorder's battery. However, I monitored everything while recording through those roland binaural mics because it was easy for me to find an ideal spot for, let's say, during an opening act and also for future reference. If the sound wasn't optimal, I could move around and figure that out while recording. Sometimes you just don't have that luxury of an opening act and just have the main act. Then it really becomes a problem because moving while recording could compromise quality - however if it sounds like shit from the start anyway, what have you got to lose? Do you want a recording that you know could sound better or just stick it through like it is? I always keep a pair of these on me, but I haven't used the mics in a long time because I found the bass from the recordings got a little heavy compared to good quality cardioids. That was an issue for me despite using a 12 volt battery box. I also don't think the earphones on the CS10 for playback are good enough because they also display more bass than others out there.

If you choose to monitor, then do what Ozpeter suggested - try to keep it at a reasonable audible level, but try to refrain from a full blast 30 on the PCM-M10.

One thing I would highly recommend with these - USE A BATTERY BOX and DON'T be reliable on the plug in power!!! They are more prone to Brickwalling / Distortion without it!

The PCM-M10's dial to level 4 recording, or at least close by it, via a line input battery box is a good "sweet spot" for me.

The one benefit I found with these that they are good secondary mics for my cardioids. I use them still for monitoring while recording on the cardioids and also as a backup just in case.

Also... I was slowly not becoming a fan of loud people around me anymore on binaural mics. Seems to happen more when I record. What gives? How do these assholes appear out of nowhere like that and magically stand next to me and no one else?

PS. another good thing about these mics is that you won't have to worry so much about them moving around on you. Sometimes that becomes a problem with these other cardioid clip-on mics depending on how they are clipped, which if they are misplaced somehow, it compromises the ideal stereo sound you wanted.

PSS. Also, don't use these mics with an Andrea USB-SA-1 at a loud concert. Bass gets way too exaggerated and near distortion. No ability to turn off the device's plug in power for true line in feeds.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 11:07:07 PM by DATBoy »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com