Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Q Regarding Partial SBD Source  (Read 2298 times)

Offline ol' dirty taper

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I've been riding with the ghost...
    • Ancient Earth
Q Regarding Partial SBD Source
« on: May 29, 2022, 07:57:55 PM »
Taped a show a few years ago that I am finally getting around to mixing with board and the board source is fine on the left channel throughout, but on the right side it does not come in until around the 8 min mark.

Is there a way to copy the left side over and make it not sound so flat? When the channel source does come in, the sound is full and warm - with both left sides, it sounds a bit flat.

Attached is a photo of the source.

To work with, I have Audacity and RX7

Appreciate any advice before I just scrap the board.
Mic : Schoeps MK21 | Microtech Gefell M300 | Beyer MC950 MC930 MC910 CK930 | Line Audio OM1 | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-X Omni | Beyer TG L34C | AT831s
Pre : Aerco MP-2 | Naiant Littlebox
Deck : SD MixPre 10 II | SD MixPre 6 II | Sony PCM-A10 | Zoom F3
Pho/Vid : Sony a58 | Panasonic ZS100 | DJI Osmo Pocket

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Q Regarding Partial SBD Source
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2022, 09:33:04 PM »
I've used an imager plugin with limited success. Sounds better that way, but no where near a full stereo recording.

It does look like iZotope makes one, but I've only used Waves.

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/ozone-imager.html

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2022, 12:32:27 PM »
Many times i end up accepting temporary mono as the best choice.  Sometimes a bit of an IR (impulse response) reverb of a suitable space will help.
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2022, 03:31:14 PM »
Use Soundforge to Repair that section, using the "Copying other Channel" function.  You'll need to do a couple more steps if you just have Audacity, just cut the left channel section you need, change it to the right channel, and add it to the right.

Use Ozone Imager on the repaired section to "Stereoize" it to your preference, and blend it in until the section sounds acceptable.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline ol' dirty taper

• Taperssection Member
    • Ancient Earth
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2022, 03:56:50 PM »
Thank you all for the input, I am running on a mac so no sound forge here. Will try the copy/paste Ozone method. The plugin was free on the izotope website.
Mic : Schoeps MK21 | Microtech Gefell M300 | Beyer MC950 MC930 MC910 CK930 | Line Audio OM1 | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-X Omni | Beyer TG L34C | AT831s

Offline ol' dirty taper

• Taperssection Member
    • Ancient Earth
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 02:00:53 PM »
I ran the ozone plugin twice, once in each mode (I/II) and you can hardly hear the transition. Thanks all for the input, going to try this on some other tapes now...

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 03:13:24 PM »
I ran the ozone plugin twice, once in each mode (I/II) and you can hardly hear the transition. Thanks all for the input, going to try this on some other tapes now...

Glad to hear that, man.

One more (free) essential tool for your "Make Great Tapes" toolbox.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com