Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audacity - No sound on headphones on iMac  (Read 2998 times)

Offline voodoostrat

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Regular
Audacity - No sound on headphones on iMac
« on: July 20, 2022, 10:14:27 PM »
Greetings,

I was trying to get a matrix together on my old MacBook Pro, it is getting slower everyday. I decided to try on my kids 2020 iMac (Catalina). I installed Audacity version 3.1.3. I loaded the files and start to mix but I get no sounds outta my headphones (wired). I checked on youtube but all I could fine is dealing with bluetooth headphones. Has anyone had this issue? Can you please share any info on how to resolve.

Much Thanks,

Strat
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 10:44:18 PM by voodoostrat »

mcfoster

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Audacity - No sound on headphones on iMac
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2022, 11:40:36 AM »
have you checked the drop box and or preferences on audacity, and the sound output of the mac? I am always changing mine between headphones and my stereo output.

Offline J.Maye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Formerly Phan2001
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2022, 12:21:50 PM »
Im using a macbook pro with that same Audacity and its coming out of my headphone jack just fine. I run the headphone jack to an older set of speakers.

I cannot get it to kick over to bluetooth which is a pain in the ass, but the wired headphone on my mac is working fine when I set the system output to headphone.
AKG CK91/92/93/94>mk93/h98>se300b>BM2P+ua5>M10
Or
CA ST11 (C,O)>9100>M10
Busman T mod R4

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2022, 03:08:32 PM »
Im using a macbook pro with that same Audacity and its coming out of my headphone jack just fine. I run the headphone jack to an older set of speakers.

I cannot get it to kick over to bluetooth which is a pain in the ass, but the wired headphone on my mac is working fine when I set the system output to headphone.
Once you connect the bluetooth cans to your Mac, have you rescanmed audio devices via the transport menu? That's how to get bluetooth devices to be available as an option.
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline voodoostrat

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2022, 12:47:55 PM »
My wired headphones work fine on all other apps on the iMac, only issue is on Audacity.

Older version of Audacity works fine on my MBP.

Offline voodoostrat

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2022, 01:29:20 PM »
I tried again just now on the iMac. I went into settings > sound > output and it only showed iMac speakers option until I plugged in the headphones then external headphones/headphone port appeared. I enabled that option and still nada, no sound. I took the advice and checked the preferences in Audacity > devices > playback > enabled external headphones then pressed play and got this error message.

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2022, 02:54:34 PM »
I tried again just now on the iMac. I went into settings > sound > output and it only showed iMac speakers option until I plugged in the headphones then external headphones/headphone port appeared. I enabled that option and still nada, no sound. I took the advice and checked the preferences in Audacity > devices > playback > enabled external headphones then pressed play and got this error message.

Is it possible some other app is open that has taken possession of the headphone jack? I've gotten error messages like that sometimes when I have multiple audio editors open at once.

Offline voodoostrat

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2022, 06:32:11 PM »
Ok. I figured it out. I found an article that said to go to Audacity menu > transport > click on ‘Rescan Audio Devices’. I clicked and didn’t see anything obvious occur, clicked it another time but still nothing visible. Loaded up a recording, pressed play, no error message…this was a good sign, hit the volume up and we were in business. Here is the link that helped me out.

Thanks to those who chimed in on this post. Appreciate you guys.

Thanks,

Strat

https://www.cmuse.org/audacity-not-recognizing-headphones/
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 06:49:24 PM by voodoostrat »

Offline voodoostrat

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2022, 09:36:33 PM »

Once you connect the bluetooth cans to your Mac, have you rescanmed audio devices via the transport menu? That's how to get bluetooth devices to be available as an option.

You were on the $$. I read it as you were referring to getting the bluetooths active. Thanks!

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2022, 04:41:31 AM »
Had the same issue myself, solution burned into my brain 😀
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.157 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com