Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stock UA-5 Mod and Power Supply  (Read 2867 times)

Offline Laurent

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • >:D Ninja
Stock UA-5 Mod and Power Supply
« on: August 07, 2022, 06:32:04 AM »
Hello,

I still have a stock UA-5 that I am using to record instruments and I would like to improve its field usage capacity.

First, what is the external Power Supply that people would recommend buying nowadays (Hopefully without any hack) to make it usable everywhere along a macbook?

I tried to contact Busman a couple years ago to see if he was still running his mod service but never received any answer by mail. Is he still doing his standalone.improvement mod? Should I consider doing some mod myself on a stock UA-5?

Is the UA-5 really too old a piece of gear and it wouldnt be effective to use at all?

UA-5 used to be this forum champion at some point so I thank you in advance for your excellent advices  :)
Sound Professionals SP-CMC-4 AT853 (c/h/o) > Church Audio CA-9100 > Zoom F1
Stock UA-5

Offline fireonshakedwnstreet

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • David
Re: Stock UA-5 Mod and Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2022, 08:42:34 AM »
Another fellow UA-5 user! Easy to power this thing outside with no hacking or mod needed. Buy the following:

Female-to-Female Adaptaplug Power Cord (6-ft.) - https://www.amazon.com/Female-to-Female-Adaptaplug-Power-Cord-6-ft/dp/B0081U7BZS
Adaptaplug M x2 (one for UA-5 and one for battery)
Talentcell 12V 6000mAh battery (this will power the UA-5 for approximately 5 hours) - You can use any power supply that is 9-12V

Take one Adaptaplug M and connect it to the power cord by flipping the Adaptaplug so that it is tip negative (the UA-5 is reverse polarity). Take the other Adaptaplug M and connect to the other end of the power cord, plug that into the battery. Turn on the battery and power up the UA-5. If the UA-5 does not turn on, the polarity is wrong on the Adaptaplug on the back; just connect it the other way to the power cord.

I am sure others will add in other ways to power (I use old DVD batteries myself).

If you want any mods contact Doug Oade: https://www.oade.com/. Just explain to him what kind of music you are recording and what he recommends. If you are using a computer you will not need the DigiMod, just whatever flavor (Warm, Presence, Transparent) that would be best for your application.
Mics: AT 3031; AT 853Rx (c, o); Samson C02; Studio Projects C4 (c, o, h); Nak 300/Tascam PE-125/JVC M510 (cp-1, cp-2, cp-3, JVC M510 superdirectional caps)
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 MkII; Tascam DR-70D
Pres: Edirol UA-5 (Oade PMod & WMod); Marantz PMD661 (OCM); Marantz PMD620 (Oade WMod); Naiant MidBox; Shure FP11 (x2)
https://archive.org/details/@fireonshakedwnstreet

Offline Laurent

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 07:14:46 PM »
Thank you very much for your swift answer.

Is there much of a polarity issue with a standard item like this one?
I dont have radioshack available in France, those adaptaplug looked right though.

I remember now OADE mods were only performed on OADE UA-5s maybe this rule would have changed, I risk very little in sending an email...

I think I would go with the "USB switch" digimod, I found this back for further reference. The issue with common mods was usually postal costs. Maybe I'l be better off getting just a digimod an no upgrade on components. We'll see what Doug says about this...

Thank you again, I think there used to be +rep buttons back in the days, I send you a spiritual one instead ;D
Stock UA-5

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 07:36:36 PM »
^I think that there are UA-5 Digi mod instructions here on TS..  somewhere.
I’ve never done it, but I think that I remember it was a fairly easy DIY mod that a person could do themselves..  maybe.
Or ask The Oade Brothers..  or Busman.

Edit:  link to UA-5 info:
https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=14389.msg178660#msg178660
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 09:58:22 PM by yug du nord »
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2022, 09:02:47 PM »
Doug Oade still mods them.  Added + mods to both my ACM and W models.
Is the UA-5 really too old a piece of gear and it wouldnt be effective to use at all?
No, it adds a great coloration to certain mics.  Really enjoy mine with my AT3031s.  Highly recommend a mod if you are thinking about stepping into one.
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Offline Laurent

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2022, 06:50:37 AM »
Thank you Yug, I found this tutorial to be still available after all those years for future ref.

Anyone knows about the polarity of the battery? Maybe I should get the standard double tipped cable and strip it in the middle to reverse it?

Thank you for your tips ;)
Stock UA-5

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com