Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

Tascam DR-70d mods

(1/2) > >>

ts:
Anyone still modding these? Reached out to Busman. No answer. Thanks.

Charliebrm:
I'll perk up if there's anything new to read about it. I have a DR-70D I scored when it was added to inventory of a clear out sale happening a week after the customer returned within a week after they bought it. It doesn't get the use it deserves but I really like the physical format so I'm hanging on to it. Just bad timing with my current changes in situation.

voltronic:
I used to own a modded DR-70D, modded according to Jim Williams' specs. Cheesecadet did the same, and I used the same shop he recommended to mod mine.

It made an improvement, but in retrospect I wouldn't do it again. No disrespect to any modders, but I think these mods (Busman, Oade, etc.) are no longer worth the incremental improvements they make for the cost, because we now have reasonably-priced professional-spec recorders available. The mods may replace opamps and caps, but they aren't going to do a major overhaul to the input stage or install a better ADC.

If you want something better than a 70D that does 4+ channels, sell it and put the money towards a Zoom F6 or Sound Devices MixPre-II 6. The step up in quality is not small, especially in self-noise (a particular weakness of the 70D). If you only need 2 channels, get a Zoom F3.

goodcooker:

--- Quote from: voltronic on September 22, 2022, 09:51:12 PM --- The mods may replace opamps and caps, but they aren't going to do a major overhaul to the input stage or install a better ADC.

--- End quote ---

This is exactly what Doug Oade does when he modifies a recorder - new opamps and caps IS a "major overhaul" to the input stage.

His modifications also accomplish other things which are useful for concert recordists like lowering the sensitivity to give more headroom in loud recording environments but also providing better filtering from the noise created in the circuit by the display.

. A lot of people here are recording concerts with large sound systems - not marching bands or choirs - so would benefit from things like a concert mod on a deck like the DR70d.

ts:
So the JW mod could be done by any electronics repair shop? I have a local guy that's pretty good. I would just present him with the parts list and the note from JW and my guy would know what to do. I guess.  :shrug:

https://www.rocelec.com/part/TISLME49720MA-NOPB

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version