Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Home theater digi-cable of choice?  (Read 3652 times)

Offline Rob D.

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
Home theater digi-cable of choice?
« on: June 29, 2004, 04:55:26 PM »
'Lil home theater help here  ;) I need to buy a 12' digi-cable that will feed from my DVD (way up top) to my amp (way down under) and both componants support toslink and RCA digiutal interconnects. The fibre cable is more expensive so I'm just curious there's an aduible difference? I don't mind throwing more money at a cable if it improves quality, I just don't like throwing money at for the sake of it.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Home theater digi-cable of choice?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 07:34:34 PM »
bits are bits, I'd go with the coax -- in fact, any video cable (rca>rca and 75 ohm impedence) would work just about as well.  That said, if possible, I'd try to minimize the distance between your dvd player and your receiver as shorter cable runs are preferable.

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 09:14:34 PM »
I prefer coxial over optical for digi sound with my home theater, find better bass response with the coxial, plus its less fragil for when my 2 year old decides to fuck around and plug everything in wrong ;D
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 04:41:45 PM »
bits are bits, I'd go with the coax -- in fact, any video cable (rca>rca and 75 ohm impedence) would work just about as well.  That said, if possible, I'd try to minimize the distance between your dvd player and your receiver as shorter cable runs are preferable.

yes and no.  bits are bits when sent correctly with no jitter.  however, bits are no longer bits if you have a lot of jitter.  a 12' run is a VERY long run, imho.  I use www.bettercables.com now for ALL my cabling needs.  I find them to be very reasonably priced for their cabling, the quality of their work, the quality of their customer service and honestly- they have the best cable sub 1k ive ever heard.

Offline Rob D.

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 07:16:04 PM »
I spent the extra coin and bought the toslink. Since I'm using a 12' length, I better go with the fibre. Thanks for all the help!
Now I'm gonna chill for 3 hours and 20 minutes as I watch The Return Of The King in 5.1 surround   ;D

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2004, 01:24:32 PM »
rob, i dont know that i would have gone with toslink, you get more potential jitter out of fiberoptic cable than you do out of coax

Offline Rob D.

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2004, 02:29:48 PM »
rob, i dont know that i would have gone with toslink, you get more potential jitter out of fiberoptic cable than you do out of coax

I didn't know that. I KNEW I shouldn't have listened to that Best Buy kid!   >:(
Oh well, I must say I'm very happy with the surround sound. I've always listened to the TV audio from just my floor monitors and the DVD video through the VCR. Now I can see the video through the S-video cable and the center channel's doing just what its suppose to do. What an improvement!   :D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com