Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: runtime for 9v lithiums in sonosax?  (Read 2187 times)

Offline dr.ph0b

• Local Crew
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • powpow!
runtime for 9v lithiums in sonosax?
« on: August 04, 2004, 01:45:10 AM »
anyone ever use 9v lithiums instead of alkalines?  what runtimes did you get?  tia
sold :(  MK4v->KCY->Sonosax SX-M2/LS2->modSBM1->M1
m-s: mk8/mk4v

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
Re: runtime for 9v lithiums in sonosax?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 07:38:15 AM »
I just went looking for the current draw of the sax and on the sonosax website it said "12V DC to 24V DC, minimum 30mA, maximum 80mA" .....my guess is that the 9 volt lithum won't work.  The two internal 9 volts must be in series giving you 18volts DC.

If it DOES work.....than that 9 volt lithum would power it for a LONG TIME (50 hours).
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline wacky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 09:28:16 AM »
I have a beyermv-100.....different beast alltogether (but same box), but in my experience Lithiums last upwards of 7hrs. The majority of the battery goes towards providing phantom power.
Both units use internal 9v's for power....

I once got some bad lithiums from Rat-Shack that only lasted ~3hrs, but that's the exception rather than the rule.

From others experience, 9v NiMH batteries are worthless.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 03:12:36 PM »
Wow, 7 hours for lithiums is very low.  I used to have a beyer mv100 and would run 9v lithiums in it and got about 25 hours.  I ran regular 9v alkalines in it a couple times and got 6-7 hours.  I seem to recall that the beyer uses slightly more current than the 'sax, so I'd imagine you'd get at least 25 or maybe 30 hours.

Also, I once kept running the beyer on lithiums once the blinking low battery light came on to see how long it would go (for an amfibian show--no offense to phish and tom marshall fans, but that band just sucked).  It ran for over 2 hours after the low battery indicator came on.  After taking the tape home to listen though, it started distorting at about 1:30 or 1:45 due to the phantom power not getting enough juice I'd imagine.  Anyway, bottom line, if you want to be daring, you can run it until the low battery light comes on and then keep going and change it at the end of the set and you'll still probably be fine.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 05:25:02 PM »
Doh.....sorry.  Gotta stop posting when I first wake up.
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com