Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Money Well Spent?  (Read 2530 times)

Offline pjl100001

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Money Well Spent?
« on: November 02, 2004, 03:40:39 PM »
I recently went out and got a Sony 3000es receiver and a pair of JBL E-80 floor standing speakers.  I have 4 little sharp 2 way speakers that I'm using for the sorround channels and I plan on getting a sub and center channel speaker soon. I'm using an Onkyo DV-CP702 6 disc changer, as well as playing music from my computer, cable tv, playstation 2, and turntable.  Now my question is... after going out and dropping about $1400 on this stuff, would I have been better off going a different route?  I mainly use the system for CD audio stereo playback so I'm thinking a higher end 2 channel system may have been smarter, but the sorround is phenomenal when I do watch DVDs.  What would my options be in the $1500 price range if I did return my new equipment and decide to go 2 channel?  Anybody have any suggestions?

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Money Well Spent?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 03:49:01 PM »
I think the sony 3000es is an AMAZING unit for 2 channel playback of digital source material.  I presume you're feeding the cd changer's signal to the sony via spdif and not analog connections.  Personally, at your pricepoint, I can't think of a better receiver for 2 channel reproduction of digital source material.  I'm personally unfamiliar with the jbl speakers -- perhaps you could do better on that end by auditioning a bunch of speakers and picking a pair that sound more musical to you.  I'm VERY satisfied with how my sony 5000es receiver pairs with my '80s vintange b&w dm220, the imaging is outstanding, especially compared with the carver front-end I used to run.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 12:28:21 PM »
I've got a 3000ES too.  Best money i've ever spent in all of my audio persuits..both recording and playback.
Darrin is right ya know.
feed the sony PCM, pipe it out in "2 ch direct" mode and be AMAZED at what you paid vs. what you hear.

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 11:58:56 AM »
I am giving the 2000es a spin pretty soon after the reviews I have read from you guys...thanks for all the outstanding info. must save up for some nice monitors.
2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

Jason B

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 10:40:59 PM »
I have the 5000ES and really love it. I'm getting ready to use it as a processor only though, and run 5000ES > Adcom GFA7805. I would really like to have the Cary Cinema 5, but even with getting it at cost, I still can't justify throwing down that much money on an amp right now.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2004, 06:52:30 AM »
well...I dont really know how to compare the "amp" section of Sony.  I"m not sure if the magic is lost by altering that signal path at all.  why are you moving to a different amp?
PCM > Smaster upsample to DSD>straight into digital drive amp gain stage > D/A > speakers.
thats pretty fat.  I think the magic is the in the DSD upsample.  not sure if the digital drive amp is really "all that" as well, but I suspect it is.

I would like to try out an amp sometime....send the "pre out" from the sony into it and see if it maintains that wonderful 3d soundstage.

Jason B

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 08:09:00 PM »
I am getting the Adcom for a couple of reasons:

1) I've got to have the boom. My 5000ES is mainly for home theater, and not 2-channel playback. The 2-channel playback is reserved for the Legacy Focus 20/20's and the Cary Rocket 88. The Sony just doesn't have enough "oomph" for me when it comes to HT.

2) I have actually been a little dissapointed with being able to hear the noise floor of this amp during quiet passages in movies. Movie playback level for me is between 15 and 22 on the volume knob. When the volume is up around 15, I can hear the speakers hissing during quiet moments. That sucks. The processing of this unit is outstanding though.

The Adcom is 300 hardcore watts per 5 channels. That amp pounds with an HT setup. I think after getting the Adcom, I am going to sell my brand new JBL E100's, and pick up a set of Definitive Technologies bipolar BP7000SC's. These things rock harder than any other tower speaker I have heard (in this price range). Those paired with the Def Tech Super Cube II sub, and I've got IMAX theater volume levels in my living room. The Super Cube II has a powered 1800 watt, 14" driver, with two 14" radiators. The bipolar towers also have the powered 14" driver and radiators. I beleive that even the Def Tech center channel has an upward firing powered sub in it.  :o

-J
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 09:02:15 PM by Jason B »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com