Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: microphones/recording  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Casketkrusher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
microphones/recording
« on: January 06, 2005, 09:38:21 AM »
Recently I've basically decided that I'm dedicating myself to writing/recording/performing music. I don't want any more of this sitting around playing video games, or sitting on the computer all day. Problem is, as much as I've been writing and recording music for ages now, I really have no idea what it is I'm doing. The biggest change in my recording now is that I'm not going to be recording by plugging my guitar/bass directly into my recorder. I'm now mic'ing actual instrument amps. Question is, what kind of mic do I want for that. I'm using a dynamic mic now, and the recordings all sound kind of,....distant or something. Like the music is loud enough, but at the other end of a really huge room. Also the dynamic mic picks up a lot of other noise that I don't want it to. Best example being the fact that I tap my foot to keep rhythm. From what I understand, a good condenser mic should be able to focus in on the amplifier I point it at, and block out at least some of the other noise around. However, it could be that I'm stupid, and I'm misreading things.

My question is, when I go to buy a microphone that isn't $20 and doesn't come from a pawn shop, what am I looking for so that when I record a guitar or bass amp, the recording sounds like what the amp sounds like?

I'm well aware that my recording equipment will need to be replaced/upgraded at some point, but for the time being, and in the future, will a dynamic or compressor mic probably show better results for a home studio setting?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com