Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The sound of Nak mics  (Read 14129 times)

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
Re: The sound of Nak mics
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2005, 04:30:48 AM »
Zhiano,

Yep, I bit on that one pretty bad....now I feel like and ass.  But only b/c I lost my head a bit there.  I wished people were more sensitive about what they say.  I defended the Nak crowd (even though I am not officially a Nak owner anymore) and tried to make Stlram see that he was trying to 'stir the pot'.  He even made the 'Insert your favorite sports team' degradation analogy.  I think I mentioned in earlier in my Yankees comparison.....you yell 'they suck', and you've just stirred the pot.  I don't think he read any of my comments except for the last one I made.  Not like he said that but how could someone say they have tired of the Nak sound and then turn around and says he trades with Matt Hiles who is a HUGE Nak fan and runs those mod 700s on Dead tour currently?  I am trying to catch the little discrepancies in his statements, which to me are pretty flip-floppy. 

ANDY

Offline stlram

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2005, 09:44:48 AM »
Every recording instrument compresses the sound to some degree and some more than others. Technology is not at a point where it can 100% recreate the dynamics of the original source. Also, there are other types of compressions which occur that consist of macro and micro dynamics within the performance its self. Sometimes equipment can create aberations with both or any of these types of dynamics. This is a fact and not someting I made up. When you become aware of these variables they become more apparent with in the recording.

As for my feelings on the Nak sound it remains the same. I've done some thinking about people's feedback and it seems to me that folks generally agree that Nak has a house sound that some do not find annoying. Other's admit that they have definate aberations but enjoy the sound and yet other's like my self find them somewhat annoying.

In summary, it seems that folks are drawn to nak's because of their history and perceived value to sound factor and not because they find them to be true to the source. Yes I know, no mic is true to the source but in the case of nak they deviate in a differant way which draws attention. Again, some are sensitive to this and others aren't.

As for Matt H. and our past and future trades, as I said I am always appreciative of a copy of any show and having multiple sources of a show is of great value for all the obvious reasons. I don't think Matt is offended that I may think Naks are over hyped and that they IMO sound less accurate than other mics. 

As I stated, in what I thought was a somewhat funny but accurate analogy, Nak 300 maybe the equal to cheap wiskey, it'll get you drunk for less money but then again maybe others think that Schoeps, BK and Neumanns are over priced yuppy crap. Sorry if this offended you but that is why I presented the similar tendency for folks to over identify with equipment much like a sports nut and the need to seperate our emotional affections from our objectivity.

BTW another mic on the used market that I think is better than the CM 300 and can often be purchased used for around the same price is AKG's 300 series.

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2005, 03:47:24 PM »
Every recording instrument compresses the sound to some degree and some more than others. Technology is not at a point where it can 100% recreate the dynamics of the original source. Also, there are other types of compressions which occur that consist of macro and micro dynamics within the performance its self. Sometimes equipment can create aberations with both or any of these types of dynamics. This is a fact and not someting I made up. When you become aware of these variables they become more apparent with in the recording.

As for my feelings on the Nak sound it remains the same. I've done some thinking about people's feedback and it seems to me that folks generally agree that Nak has a house sound that some do not find annoying. Other's admit that they have definate aberations but enjoy the sound and yet other's like my self find them somewhat annoying.

In summary, it seems that folks are drawn to nak's because of their history and perceived value to sound factor and not because they find them to be true to the source. Yes I know, no mic is true to the source but in the case of nak they deviate in a differant way which draws attention. Again, some are sensitive to this and others aren't.

As for Matt H. and our past and future trades, as I said I am always appreciative of a copy of any show and having multiple sources of a show is of great value for all the obvious reasons. I don't think Matt is offended that I may think Naks are over hyped and that they IMO sound less accurate than other mics. 

As I stated, in what I thought was a somewhat funny but accurate analogy, Nak 300 maybe the equal to cheap wiskey, it'll get you drunk for less money but then again maybe others think that Schoeps, BK and Neumanns are over priced yuppy crap. Sorry if this offended you but that is why I presented the similar tendency for folks to over identify with equipment much like a sports nut and the need to seperate our emotional affections from our objectivity.

BTW another mic on the used market that I think is better than the CM 300 and can often be purchased used for around the same price is AKG's 300 series.

Jeeze, I feel out of the game hear on the perceived Nak bashing discussion. I'm still working on our major house move & having our hardwood floors refinished so I have been internet "homeless" due to my home based PC and DAW are packed and we have been workin our asses off to get the damn place remodeled before we get all settled.

I really don't have the energy or the desire to "constructively" comment on stlram's interpretation of the sonic characteristics of the Nak series mics, but I do feel (personal opinion here) that he does indeed suffer from some hearing damage (hee hee) :P While I do tend to agree somewhat with his comments, I find that if these mics (especially the 700's) are used close to the sound source (not from the section but FOB or on-stage) these mics can make some damn fine sounding tapes when used with a modern pre/AD combo (although there is definitely some coloration to the sound that is not always desirable to some "golden ears").

Ever hear any SKB on-stage recordings made by Dr. Bob??? He used (which are my mod 700's now) CM701>D5(as pre)>D7/D8 recordings at HSMF and other various venues that are really very, very nice sounding recordings. My biggest gripe with the Nak series mics is the self noise factor. They tend, especially compared to today’s newer designs, to be very noisy at low SPL levels. For louder bands its not much of a concern, but at acoustic recordings I found the self noise factor to be annoying enough to warrant upgrading to a much higher end mic (not to mention they don't have enough high end emphasis for MY liking and I found at times the low end to be over bloated and loose (muddy), especially the 300’s). I ran the 300’s and 700’s into a straight D8, AD-20, MX-100,  wMod UA-5, MX-100>mod UA-5 combo and a V3. I found the best results where with my V3 when I used the lowcut (HPF-2) for small club venues but once again found the high end to be not enough for my liking. Matt H. is prob one of tapers out there who continues to consistently still use his mod 700’s for all his taping needs (I only use mine now for select shows & a allow a taping buddy to borrow since I run my MG’s pretty much 98% of the time). I have many of Matt’s recording & he records plenty of shows. I found his CM701 > Mme  combo to be one of the best sounding Nak700’s combos out there and actually better sounding than the 700>V3 combo that I & Tony (ts) have used. My guess is the coloration that the Mme has counteracts or neutralizes any negative sound characteristics the 700’s may have. The V3 however is so transparent that it really emphasizes any negative or positive sound characteristics that the mics may have thus producing what some find undesirable (thus explained in many different, technical, descriptive manners).

This is just my .02 from my experience with all the Nak CM series (for exception of the CM1000’s which I have not had the opportunity to play with). Back in the day these mics were very decent mics for the money, stealth looking (black finish), batt operated and very durable. Yes the AKG’s and the upper end mics are all much better – BUT, the Naks did have there place in the taping area and in certain situations can really produced nice sounding tapes for the initial investment.  I loved to go on and on but alas I see no value rambling.

Nak-on 8)

LoS
Microtech Gefell SMS2000's (M20 & M21 caps) > Luminous Audio Monarch II's or Audio Magic Silvers > MixPre 3
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661
Core Sound Stealthy Cardiod mics > Battbox> Tascam DR-7

Former Nak CM300 & CM700 Vet (CP1, CP2, CP3 & CP4 caps), MX-100

Its 420.....24/7.....365!! :-)

Offline stlram

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2005, 03:52:07 PM »
Sammy,

Excellent feedback. Now that's the kind of objective and humors feedback I was looking for!!!!!!!! Now where would you suggest I get my hearing tested! ;D

Ray

Offline zhianosatch

• Needs to get out more...
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2005, 04:04:26 PM »
Zhiano,

Yep, I bit on that one pretty bad....now I feel like and ass. But only b/c I lost my head a bit there. I wished people were more sensitive about what they say. I defended the Nak crowd (even though I am not officially a Nak owner anymore) and tried to make Stlram see that he was trying to 'stir the pot'. He even made the 'Insert your favorite sports team' degradation analogy. I think I mentioned in earlier in my Yankees comparison.....you yell 'they suck', and you've just stirred the pot. I don't think he read any of my comments except for the last one I made. Not like he said that but how could someone say they have tired of the Nak sound and then turn around and says he trades with Matt Hiles who is a HUGE Nak fan and runs those mod 700s on Dead tour currently? I am trying to catch the little discrepancies in his statements, which to me are pretty flip-floppy.

ANDY

eh, it happens! :) :P

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2005, 06:17:11 PM »
Sammy,

Excellent feedback. Now that's the kind of objective and humors feedback I was looking for!!!!!!!! Now where would you suggest I get my hearing tested! ;D

Ray

Ray,
There is always Wal-Mart!  ::) But honestly any taper (or concert goer that is pushing 40 such as myself) should have their hearing tested. I too have seen hundreds and hundreds of concerts; not to mention I work for a very large aerospace company as a factory support engineer in a high noise work environment (i.e. - big bore rivet guns, power feed drilling equipment, etc). All this high level or even constant low level SPL's over time WILL degrade you hearing. Most commonly the high end frequencies. Ever have ringing in your ears for no reason??? Tall tail signs of hearing loss (can also point to other medical conditions, but common among those with hearing loss).

Its no joke.....I've been trying to get myself to purchase a pair of those fancy/smanchy attenuator earplugs the musicians wear. You can preserve what hearing you have left, but you need to get in and have it tested to benchmark where you are now, then test again 6months later to evaluate the level of degradation is occurring. I was kind of ribbin ya at the time, however if you do have some level of frequency loss, it CAN effect your ability to evaluate your recordings (in terms of sound capture) to a certain degree compaired to someone with perfect hearing. HOWEVER, experience and knowlege doesn't degrade over time as you get older but rather increase as you get older (although some would argue that fact).

Bottom line - clean the wax out dem ears o taping brother!! hee hee   ;D

Peace,
LoS
Microtech Gefell SMS2000's (M20 & M21 caps) > Luminous Audio Monarch II's or Audio Magic Silvers > MixPre 3
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661
Core Sound Stealthy Cardiod mics > Battbox> Tascam DR-7

Former Nak CM300 & CM700 Vet (CP1, CP2, CP3 & CP4 caps), MX-100

Its 420.....24/7.....365!! :-)

Offline stlram

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2005, 09:10:01 AM »
Actually, I test my hearing several time per year with a test disk I have at home. My hearing drops off significantly after 16k, but that is fairly typical for someone my age. I have also been wearing ear plugs at concerts and when I do sound for sometime to save my hearing.

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2005, 09:28:58 AM »
I wish I could get more technical with my input in this thread. I don't think the CM1000's have any of those characteristics that losammy refers to with the 300's and 700's :(. The only problem I had with the 1000's was a boomy bass. The 1000's came with a separate power supply that has roll off. Sank warned me of this when I had them modded to 48V, but I told him the V3 has 2 position roll off. Failed to use it first time out and the wrong position second time out, so I did get some boom. Everything is fine now. Nice crisp highs, fat lows and nice mid. Maybe Matth will jump in. He can go into much more detail about the 1000's than I can.
Haven't used my 700's enough yet. Matth has modded 700's and his thoughts for my full 700's were to use the 0db barrel when running into the unbalanced 1/4 in. inputs of the MX100 and use the -15db barrel when running balanced straight into V3. Doing that he felt the Nak self noise was minimized. Modding the 700's to 48V should help with the noise factor(???), but it will mean I'll need power supplys if I ever decide to run a 3mic mix with the MX. For now I'm leaving my 700's unmodded.

Offline stlram

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2005, 11:05:56 AM »
TS,

From what I remember Matt telling me he likes the 700's more than the 1000's but that was a few years back and some things may have changed. I do know he has been running a 3 mic mix. I'll have to look at the most recent DEAD run he sent me to see what he has been doing.

The boomy one note bass is something I've always found with naks, both the 100's, 300's and the 700's. I guess using the roll offs on the V3 could adjust for too much boominess but that is basically using equalization to compensate for linarity problems with the mic. But then again you've got to do what you have got to do and if it works, well then do it.

Ray

Offline jk labs

• Taperssection Regular
  • Straight wire!
    • Mics, pre and ADC...
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2005, 01:55:54 PM »

Matth has modded 700's and his thoughts for my full 700's were to use the 0db barrel when running into the unbalanced 1/4 in. inputs of the MX100 and use the -15db barrel when running balanced straight into V3. Doing that he felt the Nak self noise was minimized. Modding the 700's to 48V should help with the noise factor(???), but it will mean I'll need power supplys if I ever decide to run a 3mic mix with the MX. For now I'm leaving my 700's unmodded.

Interesting discussion. I'm just watching, for the most part :-)

But this noise issue I'd like to comment on. (Well I was going to ask for definitions of "macro and micro dynamics" but I've decided to be nice - it's weekend pretty soon and all). 

Where was I? Yes. The two major contributors to the selfnoise is the condenser element itself and the electronics buffering/amplifying the signal. When you put the -15 dB pad into the circuit, you lower the noise (and signal) from the condensor element but leave the noise contributed by the electronics alone. That way one could form an opinion on what part of the total noise is contributed by the capsule and what is contributed by the electronics.

Just modding for 48 Volts operation will not lower the self noise generated within the mic. However, if the mod also involves doing surgery beyond what's needed then the possibilty does exist that such a mod lowers the selfnoise.

A third thing that's natural to mention here is that the output impedance of the unmodded battery powered Naks  are quite high. A high source resistance means a POOR match when connected to low-noise inputs typical of high-end mic preamps (expecting 200 ohm or lower mics). The upshot is noise.  A properly designed "48 Volts mod" will however be able to effectively eliminate this contribution to the overall noise. 

Jon

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com