Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I am about to leave to go tape my first show.  (Read 5875 times)

Offline Bdifr78

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
I am about to leave to go tape my first show.
« on: May 19, 2005, 06:13:56 PM »
Hey Yall,

I am going to leave in about 40 minutes to go to the Funkbox in Baltimore to tape soulive.  Then tommorow I am going to Haymaker Festival.  Does anyone have any last minute advice or words of wisdom to bestow upon me before this oh so special occasion?

Thanks,
Joe
Neumann KM140s>Bumblebee MIAGI-II XLRs>Lunatec V3>SD722

Offline hzgone

• Needs to get out more...
Re: I am about to leave to go tape my first show.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 06:14:44 PM »
have fun and +T for your first show
http://db.etree.org/hzgone
http://dead.no-ip.info

AKG 391's>MiAGi-II Silver Cables>V3>VX Pocket V2>Fujitsu 2110

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

Offline Bdifr78

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 06:22:58 PM »
don't self-patch, double check everything, have fun
+T

so,... pre-show jitters?

Well as far as jitters not really.  I have been going to very many concerts over the last few years but this will be a totally new experience.  So I guess I am a little anxious.  What do you mean by don't self-patch?

Joe

Offline ethan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 06:25:36 PM »
Hey Yall,

I am going to leave in about 40 minutes to go to the Funkbox in Baltimore to tape soulive.  Then tommorow I am going to Haymaker Festival.  Does anyone have any last minute advice or words of wisdom to bestow upon me before this oh so special occasion?

Thanks,
Joe

Make sure you eat before the show
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Offline Bdifr78

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 06:37:45 PM »
Alright I am heading out.  If anyone has any more advice or such keep it coming.  I still have my first festival taping tommorow ;D

Offline macroint

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Jeff's List
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 06:46:37 PM »
I am going to leave in about 40 minutes to go to the Funkbox in Baltimore to tape soulive. 

I'll be there...remember, new guy buys.
Peluso CEMC6>PS-2>AD-20>NJB3

SUPPORT LOCAL MUSIC
http://baltimore-taper.blogspot.com

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 06:48:30 PM »
Bring a pen and pad.  Write down what you ran, what config, distance, etc.   That way you can figure out what you like and what works for you. 

You also need to learn the "dude, i'm busy setting up can you hit me up after the show" or the "does this look like a fucking pole for you to lean/grab onto"

Have fun and good luck!

Offline Bdifr78

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 02:48:44 AM »
Ok I am back.  While setting up I found out that one of my mic cables was bad.  So I recorded anyway with just one channel.  Now I know I am biased but I listened to the right channel only in my car, and it sounded amazing.  I have a front aux jack on my head unit in the car for the ipod, so I just plugged the jb3 into it.  It really sounded awesome. 

I need to thank the hell out of macroint.  He lent me a clamp, well actually 2 clamps.  My mounting bar did not fit the clamp he brought but the shock mounts did so I put one on each clamp.  I really would have been clueless without his assistance while setting up.  He even ran downstairs for both sets and grabbed a setlist.  On top of all that he then offered to lend me a pair of mic cables for the weekend.  So I am gonna swing by before I head out to Haymaker and pick up the pair of cables.  The show was excellent and I am just shocked by how good it sounds, even on one channel only.  I know understand why so many people run this rig! 

Does anyone know how I can edit the right channel to the left as well so its a mono recording but actually plays on both sides?  I am currently using audacity for software.  I am gonna screw around with it as soon as I finish transfering it from the jb3. 

Peace,
Joe

Offline macroint

• Jeff's List
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 03:34:19 AM »
The show was excellent and I am just shocked by how good it sounds, even on one channel only. 

That show was the bomb...Soulive is cool, love what they do with Mellow Mood, but the Sam Keninger Band made a fan tonight. They were smoking! It could sound like crap, and you'd still think it's awesome...but I believe you. I love the C4's and, as usual, the sound was perfect at the Funkbox.

I've seen alot of good bands, whether at the Funkbox or elsewhere and the Sam Keninger Band was the first time I ever wanted to get my picture taken with a band. One of the perks of having a yearly pass is knowing that when I ask management about getting a picture, they'll take me seriously. Unfortunately, when I went to the green room after the show, the drummer had run to her car....which is a damn shame because she was the reason why I wanted my picture with the band. She had a shit load of intensity in that set. Oh well, me with Sam and the rest of the band is still cool....unfortunately, I didn't get a copy from the photographer tonight.

SUPPORT LOCAL MUSIC

Offline Bdifr78

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 03:46:14 AM »
Unfortunately, when I went to the green room after the show, the drummer had run to her car....which is a damn shame because she was the reason why I wanted my picture with the band. She had a shit load of intensity in that set.

Umm...yeah she was amazing.  I heard about 5 different people comment on how unbelievable she was tonight.  WOW!  I really enjoyed both acts.

Offline ethan

• Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 09:38:33 AM »

... but the Sam Keninger Band made a fan tonight.

Sam 0wnz! Glad you liked him. Did you pick up his studio album cause it rips too.

-e

Offline macroint

• Jeff's List
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2005, 11:20:57 AM »
Sam 0wnz! Glad you liked him. Did you pick up his studio album cause it rips too.

I checked the merch table, but only saw stuff for Soulive...both bands are coming back tonight for a repeat performance, so I'll give another look-see.

SUPPORT LOCAL MUSIC

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2005, 11:50:19 AM »
Nice job Joe. OFOTD had it right, carefully document EVERY detail of your recordings. You can start critically analyzing your recordings and make adjustments from there.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline Bdifr78

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2005, 12:23:20 PM »
So I downloaded the trial version of soundforge lastnight and copied the right track to the left.  I am completly satisfied with the sound for my first recording. 

After listening to the first hour or so of the show in the car today with both channels I realize that it is not as amazing there it is somewhat lacking in lowend and feel that Alan's Keyboards could be much more prevalent.  But it is far, far, far better sounding than I expected for my first taping.  Especially with the gear mishap.  But it's all good now.  And the cables that macroint lent me are from leegedy! :o  I have to thank him once again.  I can't say it enough. 

Chanher, thank you for you support and for the great sale of the UA-5.

Yeah I am gonna get a small note pad on the way to haymaker.  I figure I am not too concerned with those little details yet.  But with the opportunity to get between 5-7 shows this weekend I don't think I justify not taking notes. 

It's raining like hell around here today, and it looks like it will be raining all day today and tommorow afternoon in Spotsylvania for Haymaker.  I am prepared but I don't want to fuck up and ruin my gear while setting up in the rain.  I will be leaving in about 30 minutes.  Anybody have any quick bad weather taping advice?  I have read the recent thread on that, but am wondering what people do to cover up gear while setting up in the rain. 

Joe

Offline ethan

• Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2005, 12:49:30 PM »
Anybody have any quick bad weather taping advice?

Trashbags to put all you gear in and phatty wind guards to keep the rain out of your mics.

-e

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2005, 03:50:17 PM »
  I figure I am not too concerned with those little details yet.

Writing things down was absoultely the best thing I ever did when I first stated out taping.   Write down what config  you ran your mics.  I have used my notes to run different configs at the same bar to really know what sound best in a particular room/venue.   Most of us kill brain cells pretty good at shows so I can always go back and look at ,y notes.  I'll usually make them before the show right after I get set up.   I have notes all the way back to 1989 from various bands and venues.  Takes alot of the guesswork out of taping for me. 

I read once wher Dan Healy had logged every venue he ever worked it.  Can you imagine how much help that would be.  To actually know where the sweet spots were. 

Congrats on your first taping experience!  Welcome to the dark side!

Offline Bdifr78

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2005, 02:37:29 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for the advice.  I just got back from Haymaker.  Read the post about it.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=42708.0

Joe

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2005, 11:23:25 PM »
Congrats!   Welcome to an addictive hobby! 

Offline Bdifr78

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2005, 11:46:54 PM »

Tell me about it!  I just got back from my first few days taping and I have spent ever minute awake today, except for the hour I watched Deadwood, on messing with the recordings and looking for better cables and such. :)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2005, 12:11:07 AM »

Tell me about it! I just got back from my first few days taping and I have spent ever minute awake today, except for the hour I watched Deadwood, on messing with the recordings and looking for better cables and such. :)

analog cables ala xlr mic cables are VERY important in the chain IMO, once the cables hit digital tho, it matters a lil bit less

but yeah, get yourself some great recording cables possibly off of leegeddy, he sells silver clad cables worth every penny for $150 a 15 foot pair, and like I said, you will HEAR a difference, the detail/clarity will really improve your tapes IMO
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Bdifr78

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2005, 01:22:46 AM »

Tell me about it! I just got back from my first few days taping and I have spent ever minute awake today, except for the hour I watched Deadwood, on messing with the recordings and looking for better cables and such. :)

analog cables ala xlr mic cables are VERY important in the chain IMO, once the cables hit digital tho, it matters a lil bit less

but yeah, get yourself some great recording cables possibly off of leegeddy, he sells silver clad cables worth every penny for $150 a 15 foot pair, and like I said, you will HEAR a difference, the detail/clarity will really improve your tapes IMO

Yeah I am leaning heavily in marc's direction for the cables.  Lemme ask, If I was trying to spend a little less money.  He said he could make me some canare cables for half the price.  Would there be any real differnece between marc's canare cables and the kindkables version?

Joe

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2005, 01:33:23 AM »
I got some Canare's from marc, good stuff.  Everyone around here has nothing but good things to say about Ed from Kindcables too. Marc is my man though, after doing the phantom mod to my at831's he agrees to fix them free of charge after I hear some static in one of the solder points that wasn't even part of the mod.  quality service.

IMHO mics are the most sound-impacting device in the chain, then preamp, and adc and cables can go back and forth depending on gear/situation. I do know one thing though, and that is that marc's miagi silvers are in my future...
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 46 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com