Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: transfering TCD-100 to Hard drive  (Read 1825 times)

Offline muddguts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Just Passin' Thru
transfering TCD-100 to Hard drive
« on: July 27, 2005, 03:48:10 PM »
this complete taping noob doesn't want to waste anyone's time here but I have searched for DAT>HD transfer instructions/FAQ and came up short. Obviously it's been discussed here at TS, so that means my search wasn't "exactly perfect". If someone can point me in the right thread direction I'd be very grateful.

thanks for your time and patience, I apologize for the waste of space.
Do you like George Thorogood & The Destroyers? My little tribute them:
http://thorogoodconcerts.com

Depechemode1993

Re: transfering TCD-100 to Hard drive
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 04:54:36 PM »
well it depends on what type of soundcard you have. if you only have a line in input on your soundcard you can go with a 2 sided 1/8 inch male connector from your D100 to your soundcard.

if you have optical ins or RCA ins to your computer go buy a 7-pin optical. you can buy them at core-sound.com they cost $45 and they give the best results. so setup your recording program on your HD set the levels and press play. you should be good. if I am missing anything guys add in!...

Ryan

+T ;D

Offline muddguts

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Just Passin' Thru
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 05:38:00 PM »
thanks for you helpful reply Ryan. A friend just loaned me the TCD-100 so my ears are still soaking wet!
If anyone does have a link for other helpful hints I'd be glad to received them either here or via PM.

thanks again

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 05:43:53 PM »
I use my Edirol UA-5 for transfers. It plugs right into the usb port on my computer.... not sure if it's a bit perfect transfer though?
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 06:32:08 PM »
first off, the "proper" way to transfer from a dat or other digital medium to a computer, etc. is "digitally" (i.e. preserving the integrity of the zeros and ones originally recorded to dat). 

Unfortunately, by itself, the D100 does not have an internal digital output for doing this.  The digital data can, however, be exported from the d100 via a proprietary cable that attaches to a small rectangular jack on the bottom of the d100 (commonly called a 7 pin connector).  Does your friend have one of these connectors? 

If your friend does have 7 pin connector with a digital output, then you'd need to have a soundcard (or usb device) capable of "reading" the digital data being fed to it (called a digital spdif signal) into your computer.  Not all soundcards are created equal for this task, so if I haven't lost you yet, happy to follow-up with further suggestions/clarification.

Bottom line, however, without a the 7 pin cable with a digital output and a computer soundcard capable of accepting a digital spdif signal, you're only going to be able to transfer dats to your computer using an analog cable.  This will definitely compromise the soundquality of the recording since it will be different than (inferior to) the pure digital master recording you started with.

Offline muddguts

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Just Passin' Thru
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 06:44:46 PM »
that is the exact kind of information I was looking for dnsacks. I had been reading a bit on the topic before I posted and while most of it went over my head, I did get the idea that I needed to make sure I didn't lose any "information" in the transfer. That I needed to make sure my HD file was the same as the master DAT. ('scuse the poor descriptions) 

The recordings I made over the weekend aren't as good as they should be but I'm fairly positive I was the only taper so I don't want to degrade the recordings any further. (for those curious, it was George Thorogood & The Destroyers I taped.)

thanks for the hints and tips, I'll take any and all I can!

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 07:05:25 PM »
great -- assuming your friend doesn't have a digital cable for the d100, you'd probably need to spend at least $150 to get both the digital cable you'd need AND a soundcard capable of importing the digital music (you'd then need a cd burner to make a copy from your pc).

If that's doable on your end, let us know and we can provide more specifics.

Another option, find somebody who'd be interested in transerring your dat master for you

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com