Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Kinda taping related .... need some opinions FAST !  (Read 2099 times)

Offline Xpanding Man

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Homer meditate now
Kinda taping related .... need some opinions FAST !
« on: December 29, 2005, 04:10:49 PM »
Nothing like the last second....

I have a band  ( www.swingfromthehip.com ) and tonight we have a gig (private party, good $).   We use the Bose tower system PA, with the subwoofer, running into a 12 ch Mackie mixer.

We've always had problems getting good levels from our board when i tape, mostly due to the fact that someone who purports to know about live sound insisted that we should have the amp on the bose at about 5 or 6, and to keep the master level on the mackie as low as possible (usually around 1.5 - 2 for our style of music and the gigs we do)

does this make any sense to anyone ? i've been playing around with it and it seems to me that the sound is clearer, with less hiss, when the mackie is at 5 and the amps on the bose are at 2.   plus the tapes come out better.

so, the question is, what is generally accepted as a better practice: crank the amps and limit the mixer, or crank the mixer and limit the amps ?

The ships of state sail on mirage & drown in sand (R.Hunter)

open: Busman Actives / ADK TL's / MK012s > V3 > DR70 / iRiver
stealth: AT 943 > Church Uglybox > Tascam DR2

Being Taped: 
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, Olsondoc (Languedoc Copy), Mod Midi Strat, SG, 335, etc. 
Effects: Too many
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe II
Acoustics: Martin D-35 / Gitane DG-250 (Selmer Style) / Kick-Ass German Archtop (Glasl)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Kinda taping related .... need some opinions FAST !
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 04:13:17 PM »
i've been playing around with it and it seems to me that the sound is clearer, with less hiss, when the mackie is at 5 and the amps on the bose are at 2.   plus the tapes come out better.

I'm no help other than to say: sounds like you have your answer.  :)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline SparkE!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 04:41:42 PM »
Noise-wise and interference-wise, it's generally best to use the highest amount of gain in the front end of your amplifier chain and back off on the output if you need to.  If your guy is doing the opposite of that, he probably learned on a PA that needs to be cranked in order to bias up properly. (Think tubes.)
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline Xpanding Man

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Homer meditate now
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 10:34:26 AM »
i've been playing around with it and it seems to me that the sound is clearer, with less hiss, when the mackie is at 5 and the amps on the bose are at 2.   plus the tapes come out better.

I'm no help other than to say: sounds like you have your answer.  :)

true  :D   tape came out great, sound was decent in the hall, but it's always tough to tell over the din of people talking/laughing/eating/drinking etc.   like most of my tapes, it sounds better in the peace and comfort of my living room

+t
The ships of state sail on mirage & drown in sand (R.Hunter)

open: Busman Actives / ADK TL's / MK012s > V3 > DR70 / iRiver
stealth: AT 943 > Church Uglybox > Tascam DR2

Being Taped: 
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, Olsondoc (Languedoc Copy), Mod Midi Strat, SG, 335, etc. 
Effects: Too many
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe II
Acoustics: Martin D-35 / Gitane DG-250 (Selmer Style) / Kick-Ass German Archtop (Glasl)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 08:03:40 PM »
cleanest will be unity (-0- gain).  The amps are at -0- when all the way UP.  This would be the unity setting and is where you should set it unless you are getting funky sounds due to a bad pot or something.  Same with each channel on the board.  The gain stage in the pres on the board (like any pre) will sound a little different at different gain levels.  Usually lower gain on the pre is best.  In a perfect world you would be able to keep your chanel faders at or near zero, your pre gain low, and your main fader at or near zero.

My $.02

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline SuperDave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Now that's a mandolin!
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 08:20:19 PM »
......  Usually lower gain on the pre is best........
That's true unless your running your monitor mixes from an auxiliary on the board that's pre-fader.  In which case you'll want the channel pre's to be as hot as they can be(without going over unity of course).
I'm gonna go put my spacesuit on boys, then lets get this dirty cocksucker in the air! ...

Open Rig: ADK A-51 TL's > Oade Warm Mod UA-5 > Iriver H120/JB3
Stealth Rig: AT853 > SP-SPSB-10 > Iriver h120

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 08:20:29 AM »
yes... the reality of the mater is you do have to mix the show/monitor mix.
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com