Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Hot plugging non-bus powered interfaces  (Read 1521 times)

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am a real American
Hot plugging non-bus powered interfaces
« on: February 22, 2006, 08:35:51 PM »
Wondering if anyone can shine some light on this question of mine.  I have a m-audio interface that im running with a 4-pin firewire connection.  It says strictly that i should not hot plug bus powered firewire devices, but it also doesn't clearly state i can hot power 4 pin firewire.  i would like to run in the interface any my external harddrive at the sametime, but only have one 4 pin firewire in on my laptop.  any ideas?  i don't want to throw the money on the usb cable for the hard drive...im broke

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Hot plugging non-bus powered interfaces
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 11:23:07 PM »
I hotswapped my Firewire Audiophile....oops. They didn't write the instructions clear enough for me :banging head: and I thought I fried either the FA or the firewire port because neither worked after that. Turns out that I just had to reset the firewire port and it worked. M-Audio claims hotswapping can damage the device and/or the port...this instance scared me into not hotswapping...and it was kind of a pain to reset the firewire. If I were you I'd either get a firewire hub, a firewire expansion card, or just turn the computer off while swapping devices....I wouldn't take the chance because it could cost you more $$ in the long run.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.17 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com