Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Outlaw Audio Model 990  (Read 5726 times)

Offline bkirby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoeps/MGs > M148/248 > SD722
Outlaw Audio Model 990
« on: April 05, 2006, 02:48:15 PM »
I am considering ditching the separate room for 2 channel and keeping everything in one system along with the home-theater. I have been searching around for a surround theater processor preamp that covers almost everything in the theater realm, but also excelling in the 2-channel audio realm. I have been looking at this Outlaw Audio preamp and have been quite impressed so far. Anybody have any experience with Outlaw Audio? Anybody have any better ideas? I have a feeling if I move my 2-channel gear to a different room upstairs, it will get less use than in the den which is right by the kitchen where most everyone hangs out. Any thoughts? I like the Arcam AVP700, but it's still a bit pricey! The Adcom 860II is another choice, but I have never been much of a fan of the Adcom pre's (although I have no experience with this model). I guess I am just looking for other options that would be up to about $1200. Not really interested in a receiver as I like to crank the VR2s and I like having the 200WPC power.

Gear to be used:
Sony XBR 34" HDTV
Onkyo DV-SP800
Outlaw Audio model 990 (pre/processor)
Adcom GFA-5500 (front 2 channels)
Adcom GFA-7000 (remaining surround)
Von Schweikert VR-2 (front)
Von Schweikert VR-1 (rear)
Von Schweikert LCR-15 (center)
Pinnacl Baby Boomer Plus (sub)
The remaining two channels will be added later for either 7.1 surround or in another zone...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 09:45:39 AM by bkirby »

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Outlaw Audio Model 990
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 05:36:02 PM »
Emotiva DMC (www.av123.com)
Emotiva UL's
Anthem AVM30
Parasound Halo c2
Parasound (new classic line)?

The above will probably sound better than the outlaw.  Decent stuff at a good price, but crappy looks!  What are you looking for as far as features?

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 05:43:36 PM »
You might try sending an email to Dave at MicSupply.  I think he has/had Outlaw gear in his home system.  It sounded good to me but I didn't make a study of it and it's the only exposure I've had.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 09:01:00 PM »
there was a pretty sweet outlaw unit featured in a very recent edition of Stereophile.... it has some really high tech interfaces and stuff.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 09:35:35 AM »
Emotiva DMC (www.av123.com)
Emotiva UL's
Anthem AVM30
Parasound Halo c2
Parasound (new classic line)?

The above will probably sound better than the outlaw.  Decent stuff at a good price, but crappy looks!  What are you looking for as far as features?

The Emotiva DMC, Anthem, and the Parasounds are all a bit more than I want to spend, but the Emotiva UL is interesting. I will have to do some research on that one. Features all seem about the same in this price range for processors, but some with slightly better bells and whistles. The Outlaw seems to have everything I would need except the HDMI ins and outs (which is more for future). Thanks Scott... +T
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 09:41:10 AM by bkirby »

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 09:37:22 AM »
there was a pretty sweet outlaw unit featured in a very recent edition of Stereophile.... it has some really high tech interfaces and stuff.

I read the article on the Outlaw receiver in Stereophile and that's what sort of caught my attention to Outlaw. This unit still seems fairly new and I may just give it a whirl. Thanks... +T to all...

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 04:45:20 PM »
Just an FYI, I decided on the Outlaw due to the fact of multiple outputs for amps and speakers in other rooms. Thanks for the info. I let ya'll know how it sounds once everything is received and broken in. Can't wait for all the new gear coming in!!! :D

Offline jbraveman

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 01:16:05 PM »
Just an FYI, I decided on the Outlaw due to the fact of multiple outputs for amps and speakers in other rooms. Thanks for the info. I let ya'll know how it sounds once everything is received and broken in. Can't wait for all the new gear coming in!!! :D

FWIW I've been very happy with my Outlaw 1050 reciever. Very solid  and sounds nice.

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 01:41:13 PM »
Well, got the Outlaw 990 in yesterday and that thing is HUGE! It's larger than either of my amps and just barely fits in my rack. Took some pics of my system now as I am almost done. The only thing I am waiting on is a pair of VSA VR-1s and a VSA LCR-15. Everything else is good for now...

You can also see the butcher blocks I built for my amps (inspired by Carl Becks amp-stands). I just purchased a butcher block from Lowes, added polyuerathane (sp?), drilled, added spikes. They are very solid and work perfectly. Enjoy...

Brad

« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 01:46:12 PM by bkirby »

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 01:58:43 PM »
Nice! +t for sharing. Just wondering, does the outlaw have any bass management for tuning the crossover frequencies and blend btw. the main speakers and sub?

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 02:06:12 PM »
Yes, the Outlaw has all sorts of adjustments for each channel, and the crossovers are adjustable from 40Hz to I believe 200Hz. I played around with it briefly last night, but will tweak later. Everything is fully adjustable and the DA sounds pretty good so far just for 2-channel. I haven't listened to anything 24bit yet, but hope to this evening... So far, I like this thing, but we'll see later on down the line...

The only thing I can figure out right now is how to turn off the sub when playing just CDs. I know there is a way to do it, but haven't figured it out yet...

cshepherd

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 02:40:34 PM »
I would recommend leaving your amps on 24/7 for best sound quality.  Solid state gear takes even longer to warm up than tube gear.  I think the bigger the amp, the longer the warm up.  We had a customer from Portland bring a DK Designs amp to audition some of our speakers.  Huge amp, tons of power (at least 150w), sounded awful when we turned it on.  Which was kinda funny because he just paid $1400 for it on eBay (msrp $3250), the remote's input selector didn't work and it didn't have a power cord (none of which was listed in the auction).  It was the first time he opened the box up.  He didn't like the amp and left it with us for the afternoon to play with it while he had lunch with friends down here.  To get to the point, it took every bit of three hours of continuous playing before we could even take it seriously.  It continued to improve throughout the afternoon.  By the time he left late that afternoon, he was happy with the amp and had bought a set of speakers.

If you consider a typical listening session of maybe two hours, a beefy solid state amp will not have the time to warm up, leaving you little opportunity to enjoy the potential of your amplifier.

my .02,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 03:45:40 PM by cshepherd »

Offline shane

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2006, 03:06:37 PM »
Reading this thread has peeked my interest in the 990.   I wsa looking at Outlaw Audio's website and it looks like they may have what I'm looking for.  Excuse my ignorance but what's the difference between a what they call a preamp/processor and a receiver?

Shane

Offline shane

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2006, 03:08:49 PM »
Think I just answered my own question.  No amplifier section in the 990

Shane

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2006, 04:13:14 PM »

Shane

Yes, you are correct. The model 990 is only a preamp. Amplification comes from separate outboard units...

Brad

BobW

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2006, 10:47:12 PM »

Shane

Yes, you are correct. The model 990 is only a preamp. Amplification comes from separate outboard units...

Brad

Does it have a video screen for DVD-A menuing ?

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2006, 02:30:06 PM »
There is no video screen on the unit, but or course it shows the DVD-A menu on the TV display! Still happy wiht my purchase so far, but not completely sold on the 2-channel perfomance. We'll see as time goes on...

cshepherd

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2006, 02:51:27 PM »
There is no video screen on the unit, but or course it shows the DVD-A menu on the TV display! Still happy wiht my purchase so far, but not completely sold on the 2-channel perfomance. We'll see as time goes on...

Make sure the unit's got at least 50 hours of playback time before you make any harsh judgements on it.  It will continue to improve after the 50 hour mark, but you should be getting about 80% by that time.

Chris

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com