Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DVD-R Drive Puzzler  (Read 1192 times)

kskreider

• Trade Count: (0)
DVD-R Drive Puzzler
« on: May 14, 2006, 08:31:47 PM »
So I have owned my Sony RB30 desktop less than a year.  (One year warranty up in July)

I have gone through 2 (two) Sony brand DVD-R's (DW-D22a's).  The first came with the machine it totally died, then the second was the first's warranteed replacement and it does the same thing that my current drive, a NEC ND3540a does.  The drive will play, burn and otherwise recognize all DVD-+R media, homebrewed or not, but it will not recognize any CD-R media at all.  No Data CD's, no audio cd's, no blank cd's, nothing.  I am so puzzled.  Due to the fact that this happened with my Sony brand drive too (identical symptons) this must me due to a driver, or a chipset, right?  I tried uninstalling and re-installing the hardware with no help.  Then I tried to do a system restore back to the last three (about 2 weeks back) and none of the three restores took.  I am confused on what to try next.

Should I try to re-install some kind of chipset utility?  Should I swap the slave (CD-ROM) with the master (NEC)?  Should I just physically yank it and reboot a few times before physically putting it back in?  I am approaching being totally baffled.  A Sony tech told me that if a problem persisted past three attempted repairs I could ask for a refund.  I like the PC, but I am quickly realizing that for the $500 I should have built my own like last time. 

I am going to begin by un-installing some of my CD-related software (i.e. AnyDVD) etc and see if that works.  I am open to suggestions.

TIA.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: DVD-R Drive Puzzler
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 09:01:39 PM »
FWIW, I have a dedicated DVD-R (Sony) drive and a dedicated CD-R (Plextor) drive.
My Sony, I don't have the model # handy, does recognize anything I put in it.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com