Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: (Probably stupid) Mic Config Question  (Read 2130 times)

Offline Oysterhead00

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
    • My Ugly Page In Need Of A Huge Makeover
(Probably stupid) Mic Config Question
« on: June 29, 2006, 07:56:11 PM »
...so I've read all the posts, printed out the Shure info, have the template for mics, and have read the DPA University stuff.  Now, here's the stupid question...if I set up my mics in the X/Y pattern (or any other with a 90-degree or great angle) from a good distance away from the stacks/audio source, is that a good idea?  I picture my mics pointing at two walls with the audio source a good distance away from the mics line of site in the middle.  I have cards so this would seem like a bad idea.  However, I understand that our ears don't point foward and take in audio from the sides so maybe it better replicates that.  Basically, what I'm asking is would the 90-degree + configs loose their effectiveness at a far distance?  What if you are greatly off center, should you angle the mics so that the center of the right angle (the 45degree imaginary line) aims to the center of the stage?

I'm a technomoron so I'm assuming it works from anywhere and there is a prefectly good reason that I just don't understand.  Thanks!
Big Rig:  SMK-H8K/U or MSH-1O > PS-2 > AD-20 > CJB3
Sm Rig:  SS DSM-6S (or SP-CMC-12 > SPBM-2)  > MD-MT77
ISO: Cheap iRiver 120 or 140 :)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: (Probably stupid) Mic Config Question
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 09:41:09 PM »
The basic X/Y, DIN, ORTF, NOS configurations are starting points. I personally think it's a good idea to try them all with your mics at one time or another to get an idea of how each one sounds with your microphones.

Generally, the further the spread between the microphone caps, the more "air" you will have in your recording. I have found that wide spacing can sometimes give you a "dull" sound. X/Y, coincident,  sounds "truer", to me but with less channel separation than the near coincident techniques. Again, these are generalizations.

You are right, that using the basic coincident and near coincident techniques from a distance, your microphones will be pointed outside of the actual stage area. Maybe at the walls. So, I think it's best to get closer with cardioids. Hyper-cardioids will bring the sound closer using the same technique, so many tapers section recordists use hyper-cardioid capsules in the OTS.

My advice is to go out and start doing it. Try different things. Many recordists aim their microphones at the stacks, many use the standard patterns... To me there is no right or wrong. Use what sounds good to you with your equipment and the venues you record in. Sometimes you will make a bad recording... That's how you learn. When I used to ski I figured if I didn't fall a few times I wasn't learning anyhthing... YMMV

Against common wisdom, I plan to try using cardioids and hyper-cardioids baffled at Red Rocks this weekend. Why? I've never done it and want to hear what it sounds like...
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com