Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: (Probably dumb) turntable/cart question  (Read 2949 times)

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Southern Shelter
(Probably dumb) turntable/cart question
« on: December 30, 2006, 01:27:35 AM »
I just bought a Stanton T.50, and while I've been reading up, a lot of TT stuff is new to me.  It came with a Stanton 500.V3 cartridge, and I'm interested in upgrading that soon.  How do I know what cartridges are compatible with my arm?  Or is it universal?

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
Re: (Probably dumb) turntable/cart question
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 02:59:24 AM »
I recently picked up a Rega P1 w/ an Ortofon cartridge - sounds great (really), but I will want to upgrade eventually as well. This might be a good place to start...

http://www.needledoctor.com/
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 10:35:30 AM »
I recently picked up a Rega P1 w/ an Ortofon cartridge - sounds great (really), but I will want to upgrade eventually as well. This might be a good place to start...

http://www.needledoctor.com/

Yeah, I've been looking at Needle Doctor, but I haven't found anything that addresses compatibility; don't want to make the mistake of ordering something I can't use.

I've been suspecting I can use -any- cartridge so far as it working with my arm/table, but don't know if that's a dumb n00b idea  ???

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 10:45:56 AM »
Sloan, afaik, standard cartridges are universally compatible  with standard tonearms.  Nonstandard cartridges include some really small ones that b&o used on its turntables in the 70s and 80s.

Yours looks to be standard, so you should be all set

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 11:03:04 AM »
Awesome, thanks y'all.

cshepherd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 12:06:13 PM »
Hi Sloan,
I think for simplicity's sake, you should go with another Stanton cartridge.  We recently tried to mount a Rega cartridge on our Roksan Radius 5 table.  The mounting holes lined up but the screws were not long enough to accommodate the headshell on the Nima tonearm.  A big +T for buying a turntable and getting a new cart.  Fresh carts will keep your records in good shape.  Just don't go crazy upgading a $100 table.  A Stanton 505 V3 cart should be all that your new table needs.

Chris
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 12:10:57 PM by cshepherd »

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 03:48:56 AM »
I'd been looking at Stanton 681 EEE MkIII, you think that'd be overkill?  I will probably upgrade the TT in a year or two, and there's at least a chance I could re-use the cart in something else, plus I'm still looking at only about $130.  Do you think improvement wouldn't be audible over the 505 V3?

cshepherd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 01:52:15 PM »
Hi Sloan,
Unless you upgrade to a $700 or $800 table, whatever you buy next will come with a new cartridge.  Additionally, a typical MM cart will only sound its best for 500 hours or so (basically a year of light to medium use).   Is the table new or used?  If it's new, I would wear the stock cart out.  If the table is used, I'd replace the cart asap with the same model and spend the extra $90 on some cherry records at Fantasyland in Atlanta.  Inexpensive tables need to be inexpensive to maintain or you start throwing good money after bad.

Chris

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006, 02:08:31 PM »
Hi Sloan,
Unless you upgrade to a $700 or $800 table, whatever you buy next will come with a new cartridge.  Additionally, a typical MM cart will only sound its best for 500 hours or so (basically a year of light to medium use).   Is the table new or used?  If it's new, I would wear the stock cart out.  If the table is used, I'd replace the cart asap with the same model and spend the extra $90 on some cherry records at Fantasyland in Atlanta.  Inexpensive tables need to be inexpensive to maintain or you start throwing good money after bad.

Chris
The TT/cart I have are new.  You make sense, and I can definitely spend money on more vinyl without a problem  ;D

Thanks again

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.115 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com