Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: NOW FINISHED Upgrade my speakers, or add on?  (Read 3971 times)

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
NOW FINISHED Upgrade my speakers, or add on?
« on: February 22, 2007, 02:02:44 PM »
My playback system is as follows:

Pioneer DV-588A DVD-A/SACD Player, Squeezebox 3 > Belden 1804A Silver RCA Cable > Jolida 102B > Canare 4S8 Star Quad speaker cable > Athena S3 speakers

I am very happy with this system. I like the way it images and the very well defined mids and highs. However, the low end is lacking a little omph. For this, Athena recommends the P2 or P3 subwoofer as an add on for the S3 (one sub per speakers > 2 subs total). Since I just want a little extra low end, I'm thinking a sub may be overkill. Plus, they are hard to come by anymore, as they're discontinued. They would also double as speaker stands, which is a good thing.

So, my dillema is whether to search for the Athena subs and add them on to the system or get an entirely new pair of floor speakers up to $600/pair total. Would something like the Athena AS-F2.2 give me the sound I like with the little extra low end? Should I even think about something like Magnepan MMGs? Or going to a smaller, but slightly higher end monitor like VR1s?

I don't listen at very high volumes (hence the 20 wpc Jolida), but I do appreciate the efficiency of my Athena S3s.

Thanks in advance for the help!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 09:59:10 AM by bgalizio »

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: Upgrade my speakers, or add on?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 02:18:43 PM »
get a sub. i like velodyne personally. you dont *have* to match subs to speakers. thats what crossovers are for.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline bgalizio

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 02:21:25 PM »
get a sub. i like velodyne personally. you dont *have* to match subs to speakers. thats what crossovers are for.

If I were to get a sub, I would prefer sticking with the ones that match the Athena S3s. For one, they'd get these speakers off the floor (which they should be anyway). Also, I'd have to send my Jolida out for a sub-out if I get a different sub (the Athena subs attach via rails at the bottom of the S3s).

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 02:29:44 PM »

If I were to get a sub, I would prefer sticking with the ones that match the Athena S3s. For one, they'd get these speakers off the floor (which they should be anyway). Also, I'd have to send my Jolida out for a sub-out if I get a different sub (the Athena subs attach via rails at the bottom of the S3s).

my velodyne rules.  Does the jolida have a preamp out?  You can run a sub off that.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline bgalizio

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 02:34:44 PM »

my velodyne rules.  Does the jolida have a preamp out?  You can run a sub off that.

Another thing I can add on (I believe) from the factory. But currently, I don't have a sub or pre out.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 04:06:55 PM by bgalizio »

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 04:05:46 PM »

Anothing thing I can add on (I believe) from the factory. But currently, I don't have a sub or pre out.

I think you can still run speaker outputs into most subs, and then run out of the sub into your mains, but alas, I've never done that, so I can't really speak to it.  My sub has speaker inputs too though.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 05:49:00 PM »
I'm going to sell my Von Schweikert VR-2100's
all yours for $600 if you want.
:)
they image and project, and have impact.
excellent speakers.  I would keep them, but I found a deal on some other models that I couldn't pass up.  now these have to go.
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,79435.0.html
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 05:50:45 PM by Nick's Picks »

Offline bgalizio

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 05:58:57 PM »
I'm going to sell my Von Schweikert VR-2100's
all yours for $600 if you want.
:)
they image and project, and have impact.
excellent speakers.  I would keep them, but I found a deal on some other models that I couldn't pass up.  now these have to go.
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,79435.0.html

Those do look sweet, but now is not the time for me to buy. Any upgrading would be done post-wedding/honeymoon (July at the earliest).

cshepherd

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 07:13:30 PM »
Have you thought about moving up to something like the Horn Shoppe Horns ($800 factory direct).  They're high efficiency speakers like the Athena's and are designed on tube amps.  There are at least a couple folks who own sets around this board. It's hard to find anything negative written on them. 

If you feel like you have to have a sub, I would go with the Athena sub/speaker stand.  You'll achieve better linearity in sound because all the speakers will be properly time aligned...not to mention that's likely how the Athena 3's were voiced.  The notion of putting a sub wherever you wanted could not be further from the truth.

I should also say that if you can't properly place speakers in your room, it really doesn't matter what kind of speaker you have.  Nothing works when the speakers aren't set up properly.  If the sub/speaker stand addition would solve that problem for you.  I see that as your only possible solution.

Chris

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 09:22:28 PM »
Any upgrading would be done post-wedding/honeymoon.

You just keep telling your self that  ;D ;D ;D

I like my vandersteen sub quite a bit. But if you can get subs by the company that makes your monitors, that would be the way I would go it if were me - purely to lower the hassle factor and get a well integrated result.  From what I saw in the user manual, the Athena sub has a crossover built in to matched the response of the monitors so you might not need another output from your amp, just chain the speakers and subs as recommended above.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline tiberiusbkirk

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 10:38:53 PM »
If your Jolida integrated amp has Pre-out/Main in, you can split a sub signal into that.
that's how I did it with my NAD receiver. BTW I had the Athena's predesessors, A pr of Sound dynamics RTS 3, RTS 7 and their small RTS 800 sub.
I have a simple system now, a pr of soliloquy 5 and a vintage tandberg receiver, and still the neighbor complains about the bass. From a Bob Dylan CD, no less. I think that's a testament as how well the system pairs together.

Offline bgalizio

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 09:04:31 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. I think at this point I may be better served searching for the matching Athena subs, as I like the sound of this system, and it would add a little more bass (keep that knob near minimum). Like I said, it would also raise the speakers, which would be nice, as my imaging is good, but squatty. It sounds like the players are sort of small.

Any upgrading would be done post-wedding/honeymoon.

You just keep telling your self that  ;D ;D ;D

Heh. That's bonus time for me at work, which I always allow myself some fun with the money. Last year it was the R-4.

Offline nihilistic0

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • wat
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 11:39:55 PM »
some velodyne love I see

I have one, it's by far the best piece of equipment I've bought

SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP-SPSB-1 (no rolloff) > Tascam DR-05

Offline bgalizio

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 09:58:34 AM »
I ended up with the matching Athena P3 subs. They were a sweet price (new, blowout stock), and an early birthday present. They do exactly what I wanted them to do - raise the speakers, provide a touch more deep bass.

Thanks again for all the opinions!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com