Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Do LDC's attenuate less with distance than SDC's?  (Read 1450 times)

Offline connloyalist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Do LDC's attenuate less with distance than SDC's?
« on: March 17, 2014, 07:09:57 AM »
I would appreciate some education on something. Somewhere I read something to the affect that an SDC will attenuate more with distance from a sound source than an LDC will. In other words, if you get the same level out of an SDC and an LDC at distance X then moving to distance 2X or 3X the level of the SDC will be less than the LDC. All this of course assuming the same polar pattern. 

Correct, grain of truth or bunk?

Regards, Christine

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Do LDC's attenuate less with distance than SDC's?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 09:45:27 AM »
Bunk.

In addition to the polar pattern being identical, the sensitivity would also need to be the same.  Differences in sensitivity between the two microphones will make the largest differences in output level regardless of polar pattern.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline connloyalist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Do LDC's attenuate less with distance than SDC's?
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 12:57:25 PM »
Thank you for clearing that up for me  :)

Regards, Christine

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com