Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Metering, was JB3 metering  (Read 14818 times)

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Metering, was JB3 metering
« on: November 02, 2003, 12:17:00 PM »
Someone over at JB3 metereing had found some handy external meters...  But they are like $100...

Here are some cheapies that require a little workshoping:
http://www.kelvin.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=K&Product_Code=841127

And some more:

http://www.hobbytron.net/audiosub.html

Not sure if these are the right things, but it is interesting...  Check out the star meter at Hobbytron...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline InfiniteOhms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • LMA Uploads
Re:Metering, was JB3 metering
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2003, 02:28:24 PM »
nice finds! +T

this one http://www.hobbytron.net/vk4305.html looks perfect ... just solder on a  stereo miniplug and plug it into the headphone jack of the jb3. it could probibly run off the same battery as a UA-5. you could even get a realy nice one http://www.hobbytron.net/vk4306.html.

Dissclamer: I dont know shit! the most advanced soldering / electrical building project i'v done is the jordan shapiro battery pack.
ADK A-51s LE's > Oade W-mod UA-5 > Zoom H4n Pro if I bother to drag out a full rig. More often just the H4N Pro. My LMA tapes

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2003, 06:19:03 PM »
nice finds! +T

this one http://www.hobbytron.net/vk4305.html looks perfect ... just solder on a  stereo miniplug and plug it into the headphone jack of the jb3. it could probibly run off the same battery as a UA-5. you could even get a realy nice one http://www.hobbytron.net/vk4306.html.

Dissclamer: I dont know shit! the most advanced soldering / electrical building project i'v done is the jordan shapiro battery pack.

Would it be better to hook these up somewhere else in the chain?  Seems to me that it would then take the headphone volume into account, which is not part of the recording...  so, the question is, is that the best place to put this in the signal chain?

Peace, and thanks-
Andrew
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2003, 09:14:55 PM »
Well, you could calibrate the headphone volume setting so that an over on the meter = probably about -2 on the deck or so. It may not be possible with every headphone output or this particular meter, though.

-Matt
Out of the game … for now?

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2003, 09:24:29 PM »
Could it be hooked up to the analog output of a preamp, assuming it has digital outputs being used for recording ?
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2003, 06:13:20 AM »
i think it would be better from the pre than the headphone jack.  using the headphone jack would suck up the batteriesof the jb3, no?

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2003, 09:42:36 AM »
i think it would be better from the pre than the headphone jack.  using the headphone jack would suck up the batteriesof the jb3, no?

jr

thats what i would think, if you were gonna go out of the jb3, why would you go out of the headphone output? it has 2 analog "line outs" on the back that would be much better right?

i think someone was saying before that going analog out of your pre wouldnt do a great job...

but im stuck with a jb3 and a ua5, the worst combo for metering. so i might be testing one of these out real soon

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2003, 09:50:33 AM »
i am buying the VU Meter - 2x15 LED Stereo VU Meter Kit
V-K4306 , it has terminal pins ready to be soldered to a 1/8 stereo jack, and seems to be ready to go with a tiny bit of soldering. il just build/make a handy little box for it... wish i had time before primus friday.... damn

from http://www.hobbytron.net/audiosub.html

assembled for 53.95, and a kit for 39.20. im just gonna stick with the pre-assembled package i believe

nice find!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 09:54:32 AM by caymanreview »

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2003, 09:51:19 AM »

jr

thats what i would think, if you were gonna go out of the jb3, why would you go out of the headphone output? it has 2 analog "line outs" on the back that would be much better right?

i think someone was saying before that going analog out of your pre wouldnt do a great job...

but im stuck with a jb3 and a ua5, the worst combo for metering. so i might be testing one of these out real soon

I am prolly going to be stuck with that as well pretty soon... depending on what pre I decide to purchase, so I am very interested in any results you might find if you test this...  I want to add some kind of nice meter to my setup, but I am just not sure where...

I think the line out might of the NJB3 might not be a bad idea... I just got my nomad, so I am not sure about this, but with every other portable audio player that I have had, the line out jack is not subject to the volume of the headphones, so we would not have to worry about that, if the nomad works the same way!

Peace-
~AP

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2003, 09:52:54 AM »
yeah, they are not subject to volume increases and decreases, its just the direct signal of that the jb3 is getting, just analog

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2003, 09:53:51 AM »
V-K4306 , it has terminal pins ready to be soldered to a 1/8 stereo jack, and seems to be ready to go with a tiny bit of soldering. il just build/make a handy little box for it... wish i had time before primus friday.... damn

assembled for 53.95, and a kit for 39.20. im just gonna stick with the pre-assembled package i believe

nice find!

Sorry for the thread change- I presume you are not stealthing at the Primus concert?    I saw on dat-heads that some people were having some problems taking in a complete rig, so I was thinking about stealthing...

At any rate, I am going to be taping them on Sunday in Detroit - trade SHNs?

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2003, 09:56:38 AM »
primus is allowing open taping

must have been problems with the venue and not the band

we can definantly trade shn's. it will be my first run with the 3 mic mix... 2 cards and 1 omni... should be interesting
« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 11:49:05 AM by caymanreview »

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2003, 02:01:55 PM »
when i saw strokes/kings of leon a few weeks ago at the state theatre they were hard core about security.  they actually went up one leg, moved my junk to the other side, and then went down the other leg.  i know that strokes aren't open taping or anything, but the security was tight nontheless.  just a heads up, i don't know what it'll be like for primus.

i did notice that if you go in the side door to the bar first, they don't check ya, and just make sure you have a ticket before you go into the actual venue...that might be easier for getting gear in.

goodluck, i'll be there, but not taping, i think there'll be enuf of you, and i promised my friends i would actually enjoy this concert tape free...but i'd love copies, if its at all possible...i got lots to trade.

ed

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2003, 03:02:01 PM »
when i saw strokes/kings of leon a few weeks ago at the state theatre they were hard core about security.  they actually went up one leg, moved my junk to the other side, and then went down the other leg.  i know that strokes aren't open taping or anything, but the security was tight nontheless.  just a heads up, i don't know what it'll be like for primus.

i did notice that if you go in the side door to the bar first, they don't check ya, and just make sure you have a ticket before you go into the actual venue...that might be easier for getting gear in.

goodluck, i'll be there, but not taping, i think there'll be enuf of you, and i promised my friends i would actually enjoy this concert tape free...but i'd love copies, if its at all possible...i got lots to trade.

ed

Thanks for the heads up.  I am thinking about calling up to the State and seeing how they are going to be about it.  I am also going there to see/tape Rat Dog, who will obviously be completely open, so I would imagine that I could talk to them then.

Peace.
Andrew

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2003, 03:58:19 PM »
what town are you seeing primus at the state theatre? im seeing them in chicago at the aragon

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2003, 04:29:01 PM »
We are seeing them in Detroit at the state theatre.  I have a GA balcony ticket... I am going to get there early to get in the front row of the balcony (hopefully...)

Peace-
Andrew

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2003, 05:16:12 PM »
about using a vu meter with a ua-5, i think that would be really easy and quite effective!  think about it...it has rca outs on the rear, if those are active while outputting a digital signal say to your jb3, then you can get accurate levels right off the pre before it even gets to the jb3, just get a y-adaptor for twin rca's > 1/8" stereo.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2003, 01:52:09 AM »
i wish you all well in your taping, i'll be running around with a big grin on my face.  If you see a fellow with a brown and yellow hungry howie's trucker hat on--thats me.  maybe i'll stop by the "section" and say hi to everyone before the show starts.  it'd be cool to meet some of you.

oh, and if you've never been to the state, there are two balcony's, the top one hangs out over the bottom one a bit.  but the bottom one is right above the board.

ed

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2003, 08:55:26 AM »

oh, and if you've never been to the state, there are two balcony's, the top one hangs out over the bottom one a bit.  but the bottom one is right above the board.

Hey man, this is where I will be (bottom)... dreads and beard... float through and check us out.  

Peace-
Andrew

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline jewgrass

• Taperssection Regular
  • Let's hear it for my band, Sexual Chocolate!
    • My concert pics
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2003, 02:03:28 PM »
nice finds! +T

Nice find!!  +T's all around!  I'm gonna order one right now and play around with it when I get back from FL.

"There's really only 3 kinds of beer in the world.  Warm beer.  Cold beer.  And NO beer."

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2003, 03:48:23 PM »
What do you guys plan on powering those mini-meters with?
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2003, 02:43:15 AM »

Hey man, this is where I will be (bottom)... dreads and beard... float through and check us out.  

Peace-
Andrew

I'll try my hardest to make it there.  I have GA everywhere, so getting around shouldn't be too hard.

ed

Offline blu666z

• AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2003, 02:01:13 PM »
For the UA-5ers, any chance to make the meter accept an optical signal which I don't use on mine?

-Kevin

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2003, 05:22:34 PM »
about using a vu meter with a ua-5, i think that would be really easy and quite effective!  think about it...it has rca outs on the rear, if those are active while outputting a digital signal say to your jb3, then you can get accurate levels right off the pre before it even gets to the jb3, just get a y-adaptor for twin rca's > 1/8" stereo.

thats exactly what i plan on doing. il be ordering mine tomorrow, so il post back asap about it

Offline blu666z

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2003, 06:20:26 PM »
If I rememeber correctly you can change the levels being output on the RCAs.  Point being, the levels being sent on the RCAs don't always match those of the digital.

-Kevin

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2003, 02:40:40 PM »
For the UA-5ers, any chance to make the meter accept an optical signal which I don't use on mine?

-Kevin

I've had the same thought, but using the coax out.  As far as I can tell, it's not possible / easy to monitor the digital signal for levels.  The only devices I've seen are very expensive and involve doing D>A and then monitoring the analog output.  Calibration is obviously key...

What I thought would be a fun diy project turned into a wild goose chase.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2003, 05:31:07 PM »
If I rememeber correctly you can change the levels being output on the RCAs.  Point being, the levels being sent on the RCAs don't always match those of the digital.

-Kevin

how do you change the rca's output?

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2003, 09:08:53 PM »

-Kevin

how do you change the rca's output?

One of the knobs on the front does it... I think the one above the phones jack
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline blu666z

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2003, 03:31:09 PM »
I am at work right now and can't check but I think Lee has it right.  One is the headphones level and the other is output.

-Kevin

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2003, 11:43:22 PM »
yes it says output above it, i havent messed with it to see if it does change the rca outs, assuming that it does. all the way up would put it at line level correct? making the meter accurate?

cpclark

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2003, 05:17:33 PM »
im looking at my ua-5 right now, there is a master output knob on the front that controls all levels going out both dig and analog i believe, and then there is a seperate knob on the back between the optical and rca ins and outs that controls the analog in and out level, thats what everyone is referring to as the level knob for analog, i just keep it dead center in the middle for 0 gain if i were to use analog line level

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2003, 05:50:40 PM »
that knob does not affect digi outs

cpclark

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2003, 06:01:14 PM »
ah, thanks for the info, wasnt sure

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2003, 06:03:46 PM »
yeah, that is just the analog output, and it does affect the rca outs to my knowledge, i just haventtested it for sure, i will be doing that tonight, also ordering the meter i mentioned on page 1 tonight too

Offline mizary

• Taperssection Member
  • Bam!
    • Go buy some Elvis stuff!
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2003, 04:38:11 PM »
I think the line out might of the NJB3 might not be a bad idea... I just got my nomad, so I am not sure about this, but with every other portable audio player that I have had, the line out jack is not subject to the volume of the headphones, so we would not have to worry about that, if the nomad works the same way!

What about this idea??

Unless the line-out on the jb3 eats the batteries (which it might) this seems like the best solution...

And did anyone even mention how they are planning to power the meter?  Will 9.6v batteries (like for the ua5) work?  Would it be possible to run both off one battery?

--mizary

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2003, 04:47:18 PM »
Are you guys really having so much trouble with the metering that you're gonna try something like the options posted here?

I ran a modSBM-1 for a while and could always tell where my levels were by the -2dB indicator lights.  I imagine with practice you could fairly easily do the same with the UA5.  Just a thought...seems like a lot of effort for something you'll get used to after a short period of time.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline mizary

• Taperssection Member
  • Bam!
    • Go buy some Elvis stuff!
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2003, 04:55:08 PM »
I just like the flashing lights...  :)

The UA-5 is kinda boring with it's one little light...  :)

Also I think people just like DIY projects...

--mizary
Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2003, 05:00:46 PM »
i just like the project myself

i just wish i had a 2db light for each channel, then i would be satisfied

Offline Electric Cowgirl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2003, 01:33:18 PM »
I agree Dustin!  If there was a -2db light for each channel I would be VERY satisfied with my UA5.  

Do you have the manual???  If so can you check into the Master Output knob.  I want to know what it says about gain on the RCA outputs, I can't find my manual.  Seems like all the way down is line level, but I can't remember for sure.
AKG480->w-UA5->fujitsu lifebook

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2003, 02:57:29 PM »
that would be something to be finding out

i found my ua5 box... but no manual in it... damn

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2003, 06:37:34 PM »
I agree Dustin!  If there was a -2db light for each channel I would be VERY satisfied with my UA5.  

Do you have the manual???  If so can you check into the Master Output knob.  I want to know what it says about gain on the RCA outputs, I can't find my manual.  Seems like all the way down is line level, but I can't remember for sure.

I have it!

It says: "Master Volume: This adjusts the volume that is output from the headphone jack and the Master output jacks" -  and the manual designates that the master output jacks are the RCA outputs.

Guess that means the analog out isn't a good idea either... ???

HTH-
Andrew

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2003, 09:39:24 AM »
considering the fact that i have never once used headphones with my ua5 in the field, i will just turn the output to line level and leave it alone. shouldnt be a problem

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2003, 03:15:00 PM »

nice find!

did you check the power and consumption.  gonna have to make and or carry another battery pack to use it, "POWER SUPPLY: 10 to 15VDC / 300mA max." thats what it says...  still looks like a badass little thing. i might have to get one.. but lookes like more fun to build it..  
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2003, 03:23:57 PM »

well jeez...it's got a -3dB light...what's one dB between friends  ;)

edit oh...just realized you probably want one for each channel huh?  Bet those LEDs cost at least a nickel each.  I hear ya!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 03:26:24 PM by dklein »
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2003, 04:03:46 PM »

nice find!

did you check the power and consumption.  gonna have to make and or carry another battery pack to use it, "POWER SUPPLY: 10 to 15VDC / 300mA max." thats what it says...  still looks like a badass little thing. i might have to get one.. but lookes like more fun to build it..  

hmm i thought it ran on 9v. but running on 10v, i have a rc battery pack here laying around not getting used... so im all set

Offline Nick in Edinboro

« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2003, 05:05:14 PM »
I ran a modSBM-1 for a while and could always tell where my levels were by the -2dB indicator lights.  I imagine with practice you could fairly easily do the same with the UA5.  Just a thought...seems like a lot of effort for something you'll get used to after a short period of time.

Like most of the other peeps said.. if it came with independant LED's for both channel it'd be cool.. Since one of my mic's runs on average 2db below the other it'd be nice to have something "graphic" to even it out.

Anyone ordered or tried this out yet?  Could a 9v power the metering thing ya think?

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2003, 05:07:34 PM »
since it is 10, i would bet that my 9.6v rc battery will work, and would think a regular 9v battery would do it

i was thinking it was 9v anyway, must have been wrong

Offline Nick in Edinboro

« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2003, 03:24:43 PM »
Ya I'm wrong too, 9.6v here as well.. Please post if anyone goes through with this as I'd love to see if it works out.  If so I'm making an order!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2003, 01:55:06 PM »
Heh...alright, I fired up my warm-mod-UA5 and JB3 last night and played around a bit at home in prep for a wmUA5 v. V3 comparison I'm attempting tonight and...I now know better what you guys are going through!  Sheesh...a -3dB LED for each channel would've done the trick, I can't believe they only put in one LED.  Those bozos.  And yeah, the JB3 meters suck.  I'm sorry I ever questioned your collective intentions on this one!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2003, 02:03:58 PM »
all I do is increase the gain in one channel unil the LED lights up, back off a bit until it stops and repeat for the other channel.  If it gets louder and the LED comes on again for more than a brief flicker, I back both channels down equally.  Seemed to work fine the few times I ran the ua5>PDA (poor meters like the JB3).
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2004, 12:52:42 PM »
Did anyone hook any of these external meters up yet and run it?  I know a few people were saying they were going to try them out...  I am still interested in this, cause the JB3 meters, well, suck!

If someone can give a report, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks-
Pfife

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

jimmc

« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2004, 09:06:15 PM »
Did anyone hook any of these external meters up yet and run it?  I know a few people were saying they were going to try them out...  I am still interested in this, cause the JB3 meters, well, suck!

If someone can give a report, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks-
Pfife

Bump

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.158 seconds with 77 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com