Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Metering, was JB3 metering  (Read 14820 times)

cpclark

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:Metering, was JB3 metering
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2003, 05:17:33 PM »
im looking at my ua-5 right now, there is a master output knob on the front that controls all levels going out both dig and analog i believe, and then there is a seperate knob on the back between the optical and rca ins and outs that controls the analog in and out level, thats what everyone is referring to as the level knob for analog, i just keep it dead center in the middle for 0 gain if i were to use analog line level

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2003, 05:50:40 PM »
that knob does not affect digi outs

cpclark

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2003, 06:01:14 PM »
ah, thanks for the info, wasnt sure

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2003, 06:03:46 PM »
yeah, that is just the analog output, and it does affect the rca outs to my knowledge, i just haventtested it for sure, i will be doing that tonight, also ordering the meter i mentioned on page 1 tonight too

Offline mizary

• Taperssection Member
  • Bam!
    • Go buy some Elvis stuff!
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2003, 04:38:11 PM »
I think the line out might of the NJB3 might not be a bad idea... I just got my nomad, so I am not sure about this, but with every other portable audio player that I have had, the line out jack is not subject to the volume of the headphones, so we would not have to worry about that, if the nomad works the same way!

What about this idea??

Unless the line-out on the jb3 eats the batteries (which it might) this seems like the best solution...

And did anyone even mention how they are planning to power the meter?  Will 9.6v batteries (like for the ua5) work?  Would it be possible to run both off one battery?

--mizary

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2003, 04:47:18 PM »
Are you guys really having so much trouble with the metering that you're gonna try something like the options posted here?

I ran a modSBM-1 for a while and could always tell where my levels were by the -2dB indicator lights.  I imagine with practice you could fairly easily do the same with the UA5.  Just a thought...seems like a lot of effort for something you'll get used to after a short period of time.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline mizary

• Taperssection Member
  • Bam!
    • Go buy some Elvis stuff!
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2003, 04:55:08 PM »
I just like the flashing lights...  :)

The UA-5 is kinda boring with it's one little light...  :)

Also I think people just like DIY projects...

--mizary
Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2003, 05:00:46 PM »
i just like the project myself

i just wish i had a 2db light for each channel, then i would be satisfied

Offline Electric Cowgirl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2003, 01:33:18 PM »
I agree Dustin!  If there was a -2db light for each channel I would be VERY satisfied with my UA5.  

Do you have the manual???  If so can you check into the Master Output knob.  I want to know what it says about gain on the RCA outputs, I can't find my manual.  Seems like all the way down is line level, but I can't remember for sure.
AKG480->w-UA5->fujitsu lifebook

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2003, 02:57:29 PM »
that would be something to be finding out

i found my ua5 box... but no manual in it... damn

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2003, 06:37:34 PM »
I agree Dustin!  If there was a -2db light for each channel I would be VERY satisfied with my UA5.  

Do you have the manual???  If so can you check into the Master Output knob.  I want to know what it says about gain on the RCA outputs, I can't find my manual.  Seems like all the way down is line level, but I can't remember for sure.

I have it!

It says: "Master Volume: This adjusts the volume that is output from the headphone jack and the Master output jacks" -  and the manual designates that the master output jacks are the RCA outputs.

Guess that means the analog out isn't a good idea either... ???

HTH-
Andrew
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2003, 09:39:24 AM »
considering the fact that i have never once used headphones with my ua5 in the field, i will just turn the output to line level and leave it alone. shouldnt be a problem

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2003, 03:15:00 PM »
i am buying the VU Meter - 2x15 LED Stereo VU Meter Kit
V-K4306 , it has terminal pins ready to be soldered to a 1/8 stereo jack, and seems to be ready to go with a tiny bit of soldering. il just build/make a handy little box for it... wish i had time before primus friday.... damn

from http://www.hobbytron.net/audiosub.html

assembled for 53.95, and a kit for 39.20. im just gonna stick with the pre-assembled package i believe

nice find!

did you check the power and consumption.  gonna have to make and or carry another battery pack to use it, "POWER SUPPLY: 10 to 15VDC / 300mA max." thats what it says...  still looks like a badass little thing. i might have to get one.. but lookes like more fun to build it..  
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2003, 03:23:57 PM »

well jeez...it's got a -3dB light...what's one dB between friends  ;)

edit oh...just realized you probably want one for each channel huh?  Bet those LEDs cost at least a nickel each.  I hear ya!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 03:26:24 PM by dklein »
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2003, 04:03:46 PM »
i am buying the VU Meter - 2x15 LED Stereo VU Meter Kit
V-K4306 , it has terminal pins ready to be soldered to a 1/8 stereo jack, and seems to be ready to go with a tiny bit of soldering. il just build/make a handy little box for it... wish i had time before primus friday.... damn

from http://www.hobbytron.net/audiosub.html

assembled for 53.95, and a kit for 39.20. im just gonna stick with the pre-assembled package i believe

nice find!

did you check the power and consumption.  gonna have to make and or carry another battery pack to use it, "POWER SUPPLY: 10 to 15VDC / 300mA max." thats what it says...  still looks like a badass little thing. i might have to get one.. but lookes like more fun to build it..  

hmm i thought it ran on 9v. but running on 10v, i have a rc battery pack here laying around not getting used... so im all set

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com