Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cheap Asian (air cushioned) mic stands: which one to get?  (Read 2950 times)

Offline sunjan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
Cheap Asian (air cushioned) mic stands: which one to get?
« on: May 25, 2009, 04:47:13 AM »
Hi all,

I've been reading up on mic stands, and SWMBO gave me a budget of $50 incl shipping to pick up a cheap stand.  :-\
Since I live on the wrong side of the pond, most US retailers are out of bounds, because of the high shipping.

So I came up with this bunch of cheap Asian stands on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190308721474
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170333696611
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260357288800
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250429562869
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180360381940

I don't really know which specs to prioritize. Some (but not all) are air cushioned - is this a killear feature?
Or should I just get the one that's tallest? What about the mount/connector, is there any thread/diameter to aviod?

I'd really appreciate if you guys with more experience can take a look at these and tell if anyone stand out as better than the rest?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 05:16:59 AM by sunjan »
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
Re: Cheap Asian mic stands: which one should I get?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 09:47:59 AM »
Hi--I think you need to find people who already have the items you're considering, and ask them what their experience has been. The budget-priced stands that I've used have varied widely in the basic qualities of material and design. I've used two kinds that became unusable after the first use because the metal of the legs bent when a little bit of downward pressure was put on the stand itself; after that, the stand leaned permanently to one side or the other. You won't find anything on a spec sheet that will warn you about that.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline sanaka

• Taperssection Regular
  • Perpetual n00b
    • My first Dead show
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 05:52:47 PM »
Hey sunjan, you helped me alot with basic info on stands etc., so I'll share this: do what I do and just mull things over and over until you talk yourself into getting what you want  ;D I just ordered the Manfrotto 13' 'Master' stand. So it's $95 versus $40. Guaranteed it'll last over 2 times as long, and be way nicer to use that whole time, than a cheapo. Good Luck either way!

Peace,
Sanaka

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 05:59:03 PM »
I have the first one on your list. Used it several times and it seems well built & sturdy. I think I got it becasue it was recommended by someone on this board.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 06:15:43 AM »
I think you need to find people who already have the items you're considering, and ask them what their experience has been.

I guess you're right, but it'll be a long shot, given that these brands are pretty unknown. I list them here anyway, maybe they will come up in a search if anyone is looking: Konova BMK-L2600FP, Mr Studio One LD0282, Pourflex W2560, Quantuum AIR 260cm, Renee Studiosupply MK2.8...

I'm the meantime I'll do some more nagging, maybe I'll get a Manfrotto/Bogen in the end :-P
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 11:23:19 AM »
I have two cheap-o Amvona stands from eBay that take a licking and keep on ticking. I've never had to do more than tighten the clamps on them.

edit: Oh, and mine are NOT air cushioned, however they do have a spring for cushioning in each section if one should fail. More than good enough for me.

Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline beeco

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Copyright 2008, a production of Camp Totally Lit
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 01:39:27 PM »
I have two cheap-o Amvona stands from eBay that take a licking and keep on ticking. I've never had to do more than tighten the clamps on them.

edit: Oh, and mine are NOT air cushioned, however they do have a spring for cushioning in each section if one should fail. More than good enough for me.

I also bought the Amvona spring-cushioned 9-footer off eBay.  I think I paid under $40, including shipping.  It's a tad on the large side when collapsed, but otherwise it serves it's purpose well and seems very sturdy.  I feel it was totally worth the price as I needed something smaller than my ridiculous 17-ft Manfrotto and my "vintage" 6-footer that is starting to deteriorate. 
Now you see it:  ADK 51TL,  or MK4/41>KC5>CMC6, or AT4051b/4049a > Wendt X2 > R-09HR
Now you don't:   CA-14c  or DPA4061 > CA ST-9100 > R-09HR

"Wait a minute, this sounds like rock and or roll!" Reverend Lovejoy

Offline litmus

• Taperssection Regular
    • big microscope: live music and liberal rants
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 02:03:09 PM »
i recently bought an amvona dynatran AS-303 9-footer on ebay for under $35 shipped. haven't battle-tested it yet (will be doing so at bonnaroo in a couple of weeks), but the 'trial' runs in the garage lead me to believe that it's going to be sturdy, lightweight and more than suitable for my somewhat pedestrian needs. factor in a few more bucks for the adapters and hardware to get the mics mounted, obviously, but overall a pretty 'cheap' solution.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com