Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Izotope program question  (Read 3785 times)

Offline markbalogh

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Izotope program question
« on: December 05, 2019, 04:44:18 PM »
Can someone explain the "de-rustle" feature in Izotope. I occasionally record stealth with mics under my collar and if I move a bit too much I will get a "rustling sound". Will the "de-rustle" feature work on something like that and if so what would the technique be. Thanks.

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Izotope program question
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 05:52:20 PM »
Yes, it removes the noise or rustle generated by a lavalier microphone rubbing or brushing against a person's clothing during a recording.

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/rx/features/de-rustle.html

Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline sdc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 09:06:12 PM »
It's really frustrating that both de-rustle and de-wind are both only in the (much) more expensive version of the program.  Me?  I'm saving my pennies. 

Offline markbalogh

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 08:03:05 AM »
Thanks for the comments so far.

Another follow up question for all... Do you run the program to scrub the entire file, like you would do w/ the vinyl click/pop remover or is it for "spot" cleaning only? Thanks.

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 08:06:44 AM »
Thanks for the comments so far.

Another follow up question for all... Do you run the program to scrub the entire file, like you would do w/ the vinyl click/pop remover or is it for "spot" cleaning only? Thanks.

I've found with the correct settings I can run de-click on the whole file without issue.  Spectral Repair can only be done on individual spots.  It's time consuming but the results are worth it.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 10:08:29 AM »
bump to be in thread, I am considering purchasing izotope SOON for cassette transfers; and might I add Ben Turnbull has been helpful to me in realizing this is the product for me. which module, as is, would be recommended for analog to digi transfers?
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline EmRR

• Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 09:49:00 AM »
bump to be in thread, I am considering purchasing izotope SOON for cassette transfers; and might I add Ben Turnbull has been helpful to me in realizing this is the product for me. which module, as is, would be recommended for analog to digi transfers?

You can apply a pretty good amount of de-noise to tape.  Use it within RX7 instead of as a plug in, and select the highest quality render (D?).  Do it in multiple passes if needed, I'll typically do an overall light pass, then possibly a second pass for specific noisy regions, which could be spots in time or an overall frequency range. 

Related but different from music work, I have used de-noise with spoken word content in a room with an air conditioner running full blast, reduced it to a low hiss with two passes of roughly -12 for different aspects of the noise.  Room sounds silent.  Previously the AC was extremely distracting and masked some low level speech.   The voices sound somewhat different, there is a penalty, but they don't have obvious artifacts.  A person not familiar with the raw audio would not think it sounded off. 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 02:02:57 PM by EmRR »
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com