Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rycote BBG Windshield, BBG Windjammer and very strong winds  (Read 5241 times)

Offline mjwin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Rycote BBG Windshield, BBG Windjammer and very strong winds
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2022, 02:53:29 PM »
I don't have an AT822, but use a similar kind of stereo mic (AT BP4025) which I find excellent for handheld use when out and about - City ambiance, etc. Typically, I use this with a Rycote BBG & fur, which is pretty effective for most situations. For the next step up in wind protection I have an original Rode Blimp. It works well in pretty extreme conditions and provides a much bigger airspace around the mic. The internal suspension also makes a difference.  The Rode Blimp is quite a bit less expensive than the Rycote modular windshields, mainly because it's a "one size fits all" design.  It comes with a variety of mic clips & there are no other options. I think the newer version uses the Rycote "lyre" suspension, which is an improvement over the rubber band arrangement used in my original.

If your signal is actually clipping from the wind bursts,  the problem might be as much with your recorder input stage as the mic. One thing that I've noticed, moving from a Tascam DR100 mkIII to a Mixpre 6, is that the Mixpre's high-pass filter actually works to prevent much of the low-frequency overload. When I first got the recorder I was actually very surprised, since I'd assumed that it was the mic which was clipping! The Mixpre filter operates in the  preamp stage of the recorder before the digital conversion and prevents the latter from clipping.  I'm not sure about the Zoom F3 and a cursory internet search doesn't tell me much about its filtering. But this is something to bear in mind.

Of course, sometimes no amount of wind protection will help,  but don't forget that getting close to the ground,  standing in the lea of a large object, or using your body as a windshield, are all useful tactics.  An ordinary fleece jacket thrown over the mic can be effective, too. The slight high frequency loss can be compensated for in post and anything is better than distortion!

Offline gihl

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2022, 11:00:40 PM »
I just saw your post and thanks for your advice!  :)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 11:03:50 PM by gihl »
BP4025, BP4029, Zoom F3

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2022, 11:03:56 AM »
Dealing with windnoise that makes it past whatever windscreen- If the recorder's input stage isn't overloading you can play around with low cut filtering and/or DSP wind noise reduction routines afterward.  That way you can dial things in while listening to minimize the impact of the filtering as much as possible. If the input stage of the recorder is overloading, or the wind noise is triggering the limiter unwantedly, better to apply low-cut at the recorder or at the microphone itself if that's an option.  The recorder's high-pass/low-cut filtering may offer more options (F8 allows for a wide range of low-cut corner frequencies that can be set differently for each channel, not sure about F3), but it depends on where it is applied in the signal chain as to whether it will prevent input-stage overload / limiter-triggering or not.  You can monitor with headphones out of the recorder while playing around with that setting on a windy day or in front of a fan to determine where best to set it. Low cut applied at the microphone itself will affect the signal before it even reaches the recorder but is usually a simple off/on switch with a non-adjustable corner frequency.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline gihl

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2022, 05:22:36 AM »
The AT822 microphone has a low-frequency roll-off switch.
The Zoom F3 can also use a high pass filter.
I will test it!
Thank you so much!  :D
BP4025, BP4029, Zoom F3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com