Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Woohoo!! Optical/Coax/Line-Stage modSBM1 now complete!  (Read 10137 times)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Woohoo!! Optical/Coax/Line-Stage modSBM1 now complete!
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2005, 12:40:04 PM »
can you run optical & coax out at the same time??

loooks nice!!

Yep, it'll definitely be able to send out optical and coax signals at the same time.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Todd R

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2005, 12:44:04 PM »
How about a line-stage mod to an M1 and skip the SBM completely. Can be done, but damn there's little room for error on that PCB...
dB-

Could be possible, I don't own an M1 so I don't know what the design is like.  One thing to note though, the A/D of the SBM1 is an upgrade from the M1.  The M1 takes a 20 bit signal and uses the basic tdf (triangular dither function) to dither to 16 bits.  The SBM1 uses 24 bits initially and then uses sony's proprietary Sony Bit Mapping dither function to dither down to 16 bits.  The SBM dither process seems to be much more highly regarded than the tdf dither routine.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards

Offline Todd R

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2005, 12:48:53 PM »
Ok, I've had several people now inquire about me doing mods to their SBM1's.  Previously, this hadn't been something I wanted to get into.  But at this point, it looks like Doug Oade is no longer doing mods, so there is no one available to fill the gap like there was before.  And at least at this point, I am unemployed so I've got a lot more time available to me.  Bottom line, I'm leaning towards doing any of the mods I did to my SBM1 (coax, optical, line-stage) for other folks.  I spent some time this week looking into parts, etc., but need to spend a little more time on it.  Once I get things all figured out, I'll get back to the people who have inquired so far.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2005, 01:04:44 PM »
Todd, is it possible to bypass the SBM function and get a straight 24-bit output from the device? Is there enough room above the noise floor of the unit to even make this worthwhile?
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2005, 01:07:54 PM »
anyone know where i could find the panasonic TOTX178A that doug talks about?
i tried digikey and mouser but neither carry it.
also, is this really panasonic and not toshiba? i found a toshiba optical transmitter with the TOTX178A code.

http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/T/O/T/X/TOTX178A.shtml
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Todd R

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2005, 01:19:51 PM »
Todd, is it possible to bypass the SBM function and get a straight 24-bit output from the device? Is there enough room above the noise floor of the unit to even make this worthwhile?

I don't really know the answers to that.  But I seem to recall reading a post by Doug a long time ago on the old Oade board saying the chip that is used by Sony could be used to provide 24 bits.  I have no idea whether the rest of the design/signal path of the SBM1 would allow for 24 bits though.  The SBM1 when it was released was an amazing piece of portable gear for providing high quality 16 bit data.  Even today after some tweaking the SBM1 design can really hold its own over modern designs using present day semiconductors at 16 bits.  But my guess for 24 bits it wouldn't be worth it.  I would imagine that as you say, the noise floor of this whole design would not be low enough to justify modding it and using it as a 24 bit encoder. 

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2005, 02:53:57 PM »
+T todd......here's to #400   :)
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Todd R

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2005, 02:55:59 PM »
Thanks, Cap'n!  Bakatcha. :)

Offline Todd R

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2005, 03:51:56 PM »
Ok, I've decided to go ahead and perform line/opti/coax mods to SBM1's for people who want them.  I've contacted those who have already expressed interest.  If you're interested in one, drop me a line and I fill you in on details.

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2005, 04:34:07 PM »
todd...are you busy one day this weekend?
id love to come up for a few hours for jb3 repair attempt before you get swamped by SBM1s!
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline Todd R

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2005, 04:39:51 PM »
This weekend is probably going to be pretty busy for me, holiday weekend and all.  Weekdays are better -- maybe sometime after work you can swing by?

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2005, 10:44:47 AM »
Very cool ! +T
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline Aaron734

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • One Man Wolf Pack
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2005, 01:38:48 PM »
Ok, I've decided to go ahead and perform line/opti/coax mods to SBM1's for people who want them.  I've contacted those who have already expressed interest.  If you're interested in one, drop me a line and I fill you in on details.

:), +t Todd R, Those mods look great!
Live Rig:

mk21 / mk22 > KC10 > cmc6 > V3 > Mixpre 6ii

Home Playback:

Vinyl: Rega Planar 3 with Exact 2 MM Cartridge > McIntosh MA252 > Audioquest Rocket 33 > Focal Aria 926

CD / Stream: Bluesound NODE / NAD C538 > Audioquest Carbon COAX > Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M > Audioquest Red River XLR > > McIntosh MA252 > Audioquest Rocket 33 >  Focal Aria 926

Office Playback:

NAD C328 > Klipsch RP-400M

Detroit Then, Denver, Now.

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2005, 02:58:13 PM »
I can see it now....coming soon little stickers on a bunch of SBM-1's  "This unit modified by ToddSounds".  Todd, no shit you should try modding a UA-5.  Since the Oades will only modify their own you could make a tidy little profit on modding ones for folks who dont have Oade units (like me  8) ) as well. We should get some of the CO folks to go in on one off ebay for you to experiment on, if successful we could have a community unit that the CO crew could use in times of need. Just thinking outloud.....+T again :)
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2005, 07:09:58 PM »
i have an extra un-modded UA5 that Todd could use to experiment with (if he wants it).

If it gets fried, no biggie. 

If it ends up working out, we coulld put it in the loaner program and pass it around and run some comparisons.

send a PM if you are interested, Todd.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 07:25:57 PM by keepongoin' »
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com