Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: XLR as line-in on mod UA5???  (Read 4032 times)

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
XLR as line-in on mod UA5???
« on: September 27, 2005, 01:27:37 PM »
I've thought about using the XLR inputs on my WMod+ as the line-in from SBDs. 

My thinking is that this will run the SBD thru the pre-amp, coloring the sound, whereas running through the RCA inputs doesn't.  I would like to use the XLRs though as the gain knowbs are very easy to get to compared to the volume kowb for the RCAs.

Also, aren't the XLRs set to "unity" when set to zero, or that the SBD signal is being fed without any gain at this point??? 

I want to try this, but don't want to blow up my UA5 at the same time...

Any thoughts on this???

Thanks,

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline philR

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: XLR as line-in on mod UA5???
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 01:32:05 PM »
i did it many times when i had my ua-5 with no problems.  only once was the signal from the board too hot to use the XLR's. 
Neumann AK40 > LC3KA > KM100 > V2 > 744t

Offline fozzy

• move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 02:00:30 PM »
I would also suggest you verify that you do not turn on Phantom Power.  I know its obvious but it was part of my routine while booting up the UA5
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline philR

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 02:02:53 PM »
I would also suggest you verify that you do not turn on Phantom Power.  I know its obvious but it was part of my routine while booting up the UA5
yeah, just ask the soundguy about that.  i know yonder's board it didn't matter if you had phantom power on or not.  ymmv
Neumann AK40 > LC3KA > KM100 > V2 > 744t

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 02:28:52 PM »

Oh, yeah...  Knowing me, I'd hit out of habit nad kill osmething...

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 05:26:30 PM »
yeah, just ask the soundguy about that.  i know yonder's board it didn't matter if you had phantom power on or not.  ymmv
I doubt there are any pro consoles that would be affected by a phantom signal...  I've actually been thinking about this myself... sort of.  I'm trying to find a way to have a nice portable (easily adjustable) 4chan matrix rig and still afford to keep my v2.  I'm thinking of adding a digimod ua5 to the rig and using it as an adc when going 2chan from the v2, and then having the 2nd set of pre's for 4mic matrix or board/mic mixing.  I read some time ago that somebody was having problems with the board being too hot for the xlr's on a u-a5 and I think he bought a pair of attentuaters to fix.  I know the v2 has some substantial gain range so I may be able to take the +4db board into the v2 when doing a mic/board matrix... I haven't tried it yet though.  In most cases I will be able to have the board source adjusted to my liking... I don't do too many big acts where there is a million patchers or a patch bay involved.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Dutchman1101

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 10:42:12 PM »
I'm sorry if this is a total thread jack but I been having a static problem on my recordings lately and it has been ever since I got a board patch at a DSO show. I don’t think I turned on my phantom power button. The signal was real hot. I mean I turned down the sensitivity knobs all the way and the peak light was still going off like crazy. The recording came out great though. Could this maybe be what is causing my problem? Could that have done something to my XLR inputs? I'm in the process of narrowing things down bit by bit. I just got a new optical cable and I think maybe that could have been what was causing the prob.

Offline yemncsu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Two man enter one man leave!
    • Downhome Groove.com
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 06:43:27 PM »
I have had to replace 2 optical cables due to sporadic pops with the UA-5.  Definately not static as pops would occur, again sporadically, about every 20 seconds or so.  Optical cable replacement has fixed it twice. 

I have run the UA-5 SBDs through the XLRs a few times.  The peak light was very active, however, the tapes were excellent.

Josh
ADK A-51TL>UA-5>MTII

jimmc

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005, 11:18:00 PM »
I have had to replace 2 optical cables due to sporadic pops with the UA-5.  Definately not static as pops would occur, again sporadically, about every 20 seconds or so.  Optical cable replacement has fixed it twice. 

I have run the UA-5 SBDs through the XLRs a few times.  The peak light was very active, however, the tapes were excellent.

Josh

Exact same thing w/ me. I'm on my second optical cable. Also, if you are using right angle adapters, try a test run w/o them. Just use your optical cable from UA-5 > JB3. I had a bad RS right angle adapter that ruined a recording for me last winter. When I tested everything and ditched the adapter, the static/pops were gone. I now just use a straight optical cable, but soon I want to get a cable w/ a built in right angle adapter.

Offline Dutchman1101

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2005, 09:28:49 PM »
Well guys the static is still there. I taped North Mississippi last night and it all over the tape. I was using my new optical cable too. I sent Doug an e-mail to have him look at. Lets hope he responds this time  ???

Edit: Spelling
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005, 11:08:52 PM by Dutchman1101 »

jimmc

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2005, 01:51:11 AM »
That sucks.  Good luck and +T for your troubles.

Offline Dutchman1101

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2005, 09:15:58 AM »
That sucks.  Good luck and +T for your troubles.

It does suck becuase it sounds like I wont have a pre for Panic 10/28 or the Fillmore shows (if I can find tix  ???). +T backatcha.

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2005, 04:59:25 PM »
Well guys the static is still there. I taped North Mississippi last night and it all over the tape. I was using my new optical cable too.

Have you addressed the cable seating issue with your JB3? i.e. grind down the lip near the optical input
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Dutchman1101

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2005, 08:46:34 PM »
Well guys the static is still there. I taped North Mississippi last night and it all over the tape. I was using my new optical cable too.

Have you addressed the cable seating issue with your JB3? i.e. grind down the lip near the optical input

I do have a JB3 with out the lip. The new optical cable I just purchased would sit fine with an unmodded JB3. I just can't figure it out. Like I said before Hopefully Doug responds to my e-mail this time.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com