Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Binaural Recording (latest thinking from tapers?)  (Read 17401 times)

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
Re: Binaural Recording (latest thinking from tapers?)
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2020, 08:23:42 AM »
sup with this site?

ordered > they cancelled and they deleted my login

registered new acct> ordered again > they cancelled both order and deleted account again

Great, my cc company called to confirm the transaction. Hopefully just because it’s a UK purchase and not a fraud.  :shrug:
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline MIQ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Stereo Mic Tools
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2020, 11:03:03 PM »
I received mine today.  Can't wait to use them.  Haven't opened the Senn packaging yet but it looks legit to me. :coolguy:

Offline MIQ

• Taperssection Regular
    • Stereo Mic Tools
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2020, 12:51:46 AM »
Started playing with the Ambeo mics tonight.  I used the iPhone video recorder and the Apogee Metarecorder app to make some test recordings.  Easy to get connected and worked very well.  The Apogee app will take some getting more familiar with but the WAV files sound nice so far.   :cheers:

Jerryfreak what app did you use for the Charlie Hunter recording you shared?

It is certainly more compact than the homemade JLI capsule mics>>homemade battery box>>R09HR I've been using and a lot slicker with the "hear through" capabilities of the headphones and iPhone interface. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 01:00:34 AM by MIQ »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2020, 12:55:59 AM »
metarecorder

though the ambeo provides a digital signal and its an ios native device so any recorder like rode or voicerecorderpro should work fine

i personally like the metarecorder interface

if recording at high bitrate use .CAF so you dont get cut off at 4GB
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline MIQ

• Taperssection Regular
    • Stereo Mic Tools
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2020, 01:05:25 AM »
if recording at high bitrate use .CAF so you dont get cut off at 4GB

Thanks for that!

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2020, 10:54:51 PM »
Mine arrived yesterday, looking forward to experimenting with it. Very handy purse carry along with the iPhone already carried can make it readily available practically anytime.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline fotoralf.be

• Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2020, 08:47:31 AM »
Anyone who wants to try binaural recording for the first time without breaking the bank? Try these for size:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/roland_wear_pro.htm

They're on sale at Thomann. The original price was well over 100 euros. Originally meant to be worn in your ears, they come with foams against wind noise and small crocodile clamps to attach them to your clothing etc.

Simply cut off the USB-type connector (it isn't a digital interface anyway) and mount a 1/8" stereo jack plug (yellow wire to the tip, red to the ring and screen to the sleeve) instead, connect it to any recorder with plug-in power and there you go.

I've wrapped a pair of them in faux fur and it's now dangling in front of my street-side window, so I can start a recording whenever there's something of interest going on outside - all this without risking any expensive equipment.

Here's a few examples:

Street atmosphere with covidiots protesting half a block away:
http://www.fotoralf.de/audio/covidioten.mp3

The same scene on a calmer Sunday morning:
http://www.fotoralf.de/audio/sonntag.mp3

...and the only goal in the Champions Leage finals, last week:
http://www.fotoralf.be/audio/Tooor.mp3

If you're worried about their slightly higher noise level then just don't try to record the grass growing. Otherwise they're the greatest fun to be had for under ten quid. And no, I have no idea how they'll behave at Death Metal concerts or next to nuclear blasts. ;-)

Ralf

Photography and industrial audioscapes from Western Europe. - Sound examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf - Blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2020, 08:50:58 AM »
how do they handle loud sounds?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline fotoralf.be

• Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2020, 08:59:02 AM »
how do they handle loud sounds?

How come I knew you'd ask this? Well, once more, especially for you...

And no, I have no idea how they'll behave at Death Metal concerts or next to nuclear blasts.

All I can say is that they do cope with the sirens of police cars and ambulances passing below said window at a distance of some 10 feet.

Ralf
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 09:01:25 AM by fotoralf.be »
Photography and industrial audioscapes from Western Europe. - Sound examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf - Blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2020, 09:02:16 AM »
sorry i missed that last line!

Offline fotoralf.be

• Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2020, 03:26:02 PM »
More Sennheiser Ambeo Headsets on ebay Germany, new for 49.99 euros...

Ralf

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2020, 11:09:20 AM »
Just wanted to chime in on the general discussion about Binaural - I'm transferring DATs that have been long stored for another taper and in those tapes is a 1996 David Murray Octet show from Yoshi's in Oakland promoting the album Dark Star: Music of the Grateful Dead. The taper used Sonic Studios DSM6 into a Sony D7 and it sounds unbelievable. Playback through my 2.1 desk monitor setup or Beyer DT880 cans is present, clear and immersive.

Binaural doesn't work for every situation but when it does work it's remarkable. I guess those who quibble might call this HRTF. Either way it's a smoking tape.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 11:11:38 AM by goodcooker »
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2020, 02:25:50 PM »
^ Would love to take a gander if possible!
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2020, 02:29:01 PM »
Just wanted to chime in on the general discussion about Binaural - I'm transferring DATs that have been long stored for another taper and in those tapes is a 1996 David Murray Octet show from Yoshi's in Oakland promoting the album Dark Star: Music of the Grateful Dead. The taper used Sonic Studios DSM6 into a Sony D7 and it sounds unbelievable. Playback through my 2.1 desk monitor setup or Beyer DT880 cans is present, clear and immersive.

Binaural doesn't work for every situation but when it does work it's remarkable. I guess those who quibble might call this HRTF. Either way it's a smoking tape.

location is everything!

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2020, 03:53:34 AM »

location is everything!
Totally True. I had a good taping buddy who moved to Oregon and worked for Leonard at Sonic Studios. about 1992/3 they moved to Oregon. after then a few of us had pairs of DSM3's then a DSM6 pair was owned by one of us. If you had good location and a good PA those tapes (almost all into DAT) can be very sweet.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com