Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: which of these black friday deal TVs would you pick and why?  (Read 11740 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
Re: which of these black friday deal TVs would you pick and why?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 07:16:28 PM »
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisense-55-class-h6510g-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-android-tv/6429406.p

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-class-led-4-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-android-tv/6422762.p

I dont have either set   but a few observations :
dont expect the world @ these prices
a fair bit cheaper than comparable brand name sets

If I was forced to choose I would opt for the Hisense as its a off brand  that I have heard of before. 
If I was you I would save for a projector but for what they are   both seem decent spec wise.

edited to add
the other set has a bunch more and slightly higher reviews

« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 07:18:44 PM by seethreepo »
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 03:34:42 PM »
i think we are upping our budget to this 58"

mostly because it completely fills the little nook in the wall within an inch

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SAMSUNG-58-Class-4K-Crystal-UHD-2160P-LED-Smart-TV-with-HDR-UN58TU7000-2020/820835173

wife is hung up on it not being 120Hz

i told her she's not a gamer and its not necessary. And that there is really no need to 'future proof' a $400 TV

thoughts?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 03:43:49 PM »

$278 next year this time.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 04:12:25 PM »
exactly. so far down the curve that im not worried about the depreciation. buy a much much better spec'd TV for that space for $300 in 3 years

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 04:28:18 PM »

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SAMSUNG-58-Class-4K-Crystal-UHD-2160P-LED-Smart-TV-with-HDR-UN58TU7000-2020/820835173

i told her she's not a gamer and its not necessary. And that there is really no need to 'future proof' a $400 TV

thoughts?

Get the basic stuff right that is most important for your application.  Must have the gotta-have stuff, don't worry about the nice-to-have niceties.

Does it have sufficient in/out? Listed as: "2 x HDMI; 1 x USB (2.0); 1 x Composite In (AV); 1 x Digital Audio Out (Optical); 1 x RF In (Terrestrial/Cable Input); 1 x Ethernet (LAN)"
^amazes me that so many TVs don't feature an analog audio out anymore.

Personally I wouldn't worry about the 60Hz refresh rate if not gaming.

This review site was helpful for me when I was selecting a new TV for my father a few years ago (link is direct to the page on that Samsung)- https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/tu7000
it was particularly helpful in comparative assessment given the three constraints I deemed most important for that situation- screen size (to fit in existing cabinet), sufficient contrast/brightness to work in a relatively bright sunlit room, and sufficiently wide viewing angle given the seating arrangement.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 08:09:28 PM »

thoughts?

Get the basic stuff right that is most important for your application.  Must have the gotta-have stuff, don't worry about the nice-to-have niceties.

Does it have sufficient in/out? Listed as: "2 x HDMI; 1 x USB (2.0); 1 x Composite In (AV); 1 x Digital Audio Out (Optical); 1 x RF In (Terrestrial/Cable Input); 1 x Ethernet (LAN)"
^amazes me that so many TVs don't feature an analog audio out anymore.

Personally I wouldn't worry about the 60Hz refresh rate if not gaming.

This review site was helpful for me when I was selecting a new TV for my father a few years ago (link is direct to the page on that Samsung)- https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/tu7000
it was particularly helpful in comparative assessment given the three constraints I deemed most important for that situation- screen size (to fit in existing cabinet), sufficient contrast/brightness to work in a relatively bright sunlit room, and sufficiently wide viewing angle given the seating arrangement.

Gutbucket

thanks for the rtings.com link. my tv died today so used their reviews to help make a decision

Hisense H8G
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 11:51:56 AM »
Right on. Good to hear it helped with the decision.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 02:43:45 PM »
In the end that $400 TV was 10 times better than the old one we had and it’s more than adequate for our needs and I’m sure we will get five years out of it before I move it to another room. I thought I’d keep the older one for another room but now that i’ve seen a newer one in my home those are going to be given away. a newer $200 tv of same size would be better than that

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 03:37:39 PM »
The pace of tech increase and cost decrease for panel TVs is astounding

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2021, 03:49:53 PM »
next thing you know we will be recording shows on our phones ;)

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2021, 09:58:59 PM »
In the end that $400 TV was 10 times better than the old one we had and it’s more than adequate for our needs and I’m sure we will get five years out of it before I move it to another room. I thought I’d keep the older one for another room but now that i’ve seen a newer one in my home those are going to be given away. a newer $200 tv of same size would be better than that

i agree im just a little miffed the LG i just had to replace wasnt that old. probably 3-4 years old.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2021, 10:50:30 PM »
yeah i guess thats the price of planned obsolescence. remember when you were a kid and a TV was a 10+ year proposition?

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2021, 08:52:10 AM »
+1 on Rtings.com for TV reviews - that is my go-to site.  Don't forget to go through their "Calibration Settings" page for your model to get the best out of it and to turn off all of the noise reduction, motion interpolation, and other manufacturer features that don't help or in some cases make things worse.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2021, 09:09:30 AM »
+1 on Rtings.com for TV reviews - that is my go-to site.  Don't forget to go through their "Calibration Settings" page for your model to get the best out of it and to turn off all of the noise reduction, motion interpolation, and other manufacturer features that don't help or in some cases make things worse.

great tip thanks

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.119 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com