Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-680 MKii  (Read 93439 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Tascam DR-680 MKii
« Reply #225 on: December 26, 2019, 12:48:57 PM »
Edit: Well, the question is moot for tonight.  I don't have an XLR > TRS cable. Guess I'll just use two mics and get a feel for running the deck live.

If you want to run DUAL REC you'll need TRS into ch5/6 for the 3rd channel.
Without DUAL REC engaged you can use standard XLR cables to record up to four channels into chs1-4.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline TheBishop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #226 on: December 26, 2019, 01:33:26 PM »
Thanks!  I've been playing with it a little bit to try to get more familiar with it before I head out tonight. I agree with you that the gang function is more important that the DUAL REC function.  The level readout on this unit is quite a bit smaller and less well defined (there isn't much space between -16 and 0) than other units that I'm used to.  I'll just run conservatively to make sure I don't clip.

And thinking about it again, I may still run with the middle omni channel on input 3 with DUAL REC disabled just to see how it sounds.

It's funny, I feel like the leap I took going from cassette to DAT had a smaller learning curve than going from 2 inputs to 6.

I'll be recording another band tomorrow night, so at least I'll get some practice in with it.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #227 on: December 26, 2019, 02:04:09 PM »
The level readout on this unit is quite a bit smaller and less well defined (there isn't much space between -16 and 0) than other units that I'm used to.  I'll just run conservatively to make sure I don't clip.

True.  Given the metering, it generally works well for me to aim to peak around the little line (-16dbFS) without limiters engaged.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
« Reply #228 on: December 27, 2019, 10:44:56 AM »
Thanks!  I've been playing with it a little bit to try to get more familiar with it before I head out tonight. I agree with you that the gang function is more important that the DUAL REC function.  The level readout on this unit is quite a bit smaller and less well defined (there isn't much space between -16 and 0) than other units that I'm used to.  I'll just run conservatively to make sure I don't clip.

Exactly.
My only complaint on this machine is that spacing of the dB readout.
Other than that, its very clean and very user friendly.  The learning curve is short.  Sure I made some light errors when it was new to me, but nothing affecting a recording I could not change in post.
I like your Santa!  Great stuff; enjoy!
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Offline TheBishop

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #229 on: December 27, 2019, 03:28:00 PM »
Well I made it through my first show, and it looks like I did alright with the metering.

I was playing around with it a bit... I used high gain for the first set and low gain for the second set.  I can't hear any appreciable difference and I didn't have to turn my trim up too much for the second set, so I'll just go with low gain from now on.

All in all it was a successful night, and I'll be running it again tonight.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #230 on: December 27, 2019, 03:49:35 PM »
Congrats!

As long as you are able to dial in appropriate levels with the input-gain switch in either position, which way it is set won't matter much in typical taper situations. 

Exceptions:
Very high SPL material which would cause the input-stage to overload if set to high-gain. 
Extremely quiet recording situations where the noise-floor of the recorder may become audible if the input-stage gain were set to low-gain.

Offline lukpac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #231 on: December 27, 2019, 04:55:31 PM »
Congrats!

As long as you are able to dial in appropriate levels with the input-gain switch in either position, which way it is set won't matter much in typical taper situations. 

Exceptions:
Very high SPL material which would cause the input-stage to overload if set to high-gain. 
Extremely quiet recording situations where the noise-floor of the recorder may become audible if the input-stage gain were set to low-gain.

I *think* the MKII has better preamps (although I still haven’t done a direct comparison), but I did run into an issue with my original 680. Acoustic guitar and vocal (unamplified) into a 57 and 58 respectively, with the gain switches set to Low. The amount of hiss on the recording was pretty annoying. Since then I’ve leaned towards using High gain unless something is really loud and/or I’m using a condenser that puts out a high level.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #232 on: December 27, 2019, 05:41:43 PM »
Since then I’ve leaned towards using High gain unless something is really loud and/or I’m using a condenser that puts out a high level.

^ This is the technically correct answer.  To achieve lowest noise one wants most of the gain applied at the earliest analog stage rather than added via subsequent stages.  In addition to amplifying the signal, each subsequent amplification stage also amplifies the noise of all gain-stages preceding it.

Since most tapers are using condenser mics and recording in high noise-floor environments, the noise-floor of the recorder's input stage is usually be buried too deeply to matter.

Offline Twenty8

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #233 on: February 22, 2020, 06:22:40 AM »
How do you get the output of the Stereo Mix track?
While the manual tells you how to set it up, it tells you nothing about the result.  I have these settings, but would have no clue how to get the files.
I would assume obtaining a Stereo Mix from my 680mkii would involve hooking up a bit-box (like a DR2d or M10) to the RCA outs on the side?

Page 31 is a strange page of the manual.  The Dual Recording explanation is also I little unusual.

Offline lukpac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #234 on: February 22, 2020, 03:41:27 PM »
How do you get the output of the Stereo Mix track?
While the manual tells you how to set it up, it tells you nothing about the result.  I have these settings, but would have no clue how to get the files.
I would assume obtaining a Stereo Mix from my 680mkii would involve hooking up a bit-box (like a DR2d or M10) to the RCA outs on the side?

Page 31 is a strange page of the manual.  The Dual Recording explanation is also I little unusual.

What do you mean by "get the output"? Files? Analog out? Digital out?

Normally one would just make sure you were recording the stereo track in addition to the individual tracks.

Offline Twenty8

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #235 on: February 23, 2020, 07:38:31 AM »
Yes, the files.  While I know I can get the stereo mix that I adjusted with the mix/mix pan functions using the RCAs on the side of the unit (patching), but I have never seen stereo mix files recorded on the card.  I have used dual record before, but haven't in a long time.  I figured there would be a 5/6 or MIX track when I go to process the recording.  My card will have my 4 recorded channels and thats it.  No stereo mix.

Offline lukpac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #236 on: February 23, 2020, 09:33:40 AM »
Yes, the files.  While I know I can get the stereo mix that I adjusted with the mix/mix pan functions using the RCAs on the side of the unit (patching), but I have never seen stereo mix files recorded on the card.  I have used dual record before, but haven't in a long time.  I figured there would be a 5/6 or MIX track when I go to process the recording.  My card will have my 4 recorded channels and thats it.  No stereo mix.

You just have to arm that track like you arm the others. MIX/LOCK button on the right. You’ll see the dot below the L/R meter show up or go away as you press it.

Offline Twenty8

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #237 on: February 23, 2020, 12:43:42 PM »

You just have to arm that track like you arm the others. MIX/LOCK button on the right. You’ll see the dot below the L/R meter show up or go away as you press it.

Thank you.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #238 on: February 24, 2020, 09:43:23 AM »
Look for the dot as Twenty8 mentions to confirm that the stereo track is being recorded.  It will consist either of the monitor mix of chs 1-6 (duplicating the headphone output, and RCA outs when they are set to L/R) or of the digital input to be recorded separately from chs 1-6, depending on how you set it up.  When activated, the stereo file is recorded simultaneously and in sync with the other channels.  Its start and stop times will be identical to the other channels

Regardless of how you have the recorder set to write chs 1-6 files (mono, stereo, or polyfile) the stereo track file is always a 2 channel stereo file and will have "ST" in the file name.  If you want to play back that file on the recorder, you need to push the MULTI/STEREO button on the top face, which switches the machine between multichannel and stereo mode.  You cannot playback both the multichannel and stereo file simultaneously on the machine.

Offline taper420

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #239 on: March 11, 2020, 11:47:44 PM »
Got this cool little gadget from China today. It's a USB step-up converter with switchable 9V or 12V output and it runs the 680(mkii). I also did some testing on a V3 and posted results here: https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=193811.0
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 01:55:30 PM by taper420 »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.121 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com