Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 release information  (Read 110747 times)

Offline pgoelz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Edirol R-09 release information
« Reply #135 on: June 08, 2006, 07:31:59 AM »
Thanks for the info. Some real tests/graphs would be very welcome.
What is the max signal level that it can handle?

Max signal level.... you mean volts into the line input?  I don't have the test equipment to check that handy at the moment.  Maybe someone else can check it. 

Paul
Paul Goelz
Rochester Hills, MI USA
Music, model helis and astronomy website:
www.pgoelz.com

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #136 on: June 08, 2006, 10:12:35 AM »
Is anyone aware of any line stage mods being done on this unit?

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #137 on: June 10, 2006, 03:10:21 PM »
Hi,
  Well after much anticipation  ;D my R-09 is finally en route....FedEx has it and I should see it on Tuesday.....My question is what kind of SD cards are you guys using and where did you get them ?.....I would like to get a 4 gig , just to be safe .....What brands work ?....I dont know what kind of 2 gig cards Edirol have been testing...I use the 4gig 45X Kingston in my R-01 and HD-P2, it works flawlessly....Next I use a Mac (G5) and I understand that the 4gig cards need to be formatted on a PC so the R-09 can read/write to the whole card......How can I do this on my Mac ?? I also have a PC, but it's a long story...I understand one of the card manufacturers have a downloadable utility to format the card ......Is this available for Mac and anybody got a link ?... I have a show coming up in two weeks and I would like to use the R-09...
Thanks for all you help....

Peace
jk
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Offline vegas06

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #138 on: June 10, 2006, 05:01:20 PM »
For those who are curious as to how the Edirol R-09 performs.  I did a few quick tests using teh R-09, while miccing one of mt M-Audio DX-4 monitor speakers.
1. R-09's built in stereo mic input
2. AT822 straight into R-09's 1/8 mic input
3. AT822 mic fed into PSC Promix 3 mixer, fed into R-09's 1/8 line input

I have posted my results here:
http://lvproductions.net/audiosamples.htm

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #139 on: June 10, 2006, 05:40:16 PM »
For those who are curious as to how the Edirol R-09 performs.  I did a few quick tests using teh R-09, while miccing one of mt M-Audio DX-4 monitor speakers.

Excellen++++++++T

Well, the performance isn't really excellent, but your post is.

Hmm.  There is a fair amount of self-noise *in the preamp* on the AT822.

I'll have to think about this purchase a little more.  MD doesn't seem to have *that* much self noise even.  Of course, I don't know the input and recording levels involved.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #140 on: June 10, 2006, 05:44:16 PM »

Hey, one question: Did you move the AT822 between the two samples?

I noticed that the line-in version just seemed to have more "presence".  More of a stereo image in particular.  Maybe that is just the quality/influence of the builtin mic pre that I'm hearing.

Oh yeah, who is the singer?

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline jhfinn

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #141 on: June 10, 2006, 05:53:13 PM »
dixie chicks
Mics:Neumann KM150x2...LC3KA actives x4
Pres:Audioroot Femto(L)
Recorders: Edirol R44/Sony PCM-D50
Retired: Sony D10pro2 modified/ Sony TCD-D8

Offline Aaron41

• Needs to get out more...
  • Quack
« Reply #142 on: June 10, 2006, 06:23:48 PM »
Wow. I am really liking everything I'm reading so far. Might have to pick one of these up down the road.
"The pizza game has treated me well" - Evil Taper

Offline vegas06

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #143 on: June 10, 2006, 09:14:34 PM »

Excellen++++++++T

Well, the performance isn't really excellent, but your post is.

Hmm.  There is a fair amount of self-noise *in the preamp* on the AT822.

I'll have to think about this purchase a little more.  MD doesn't seem to have *that* much self noise even.  Of course, I don't know the input and recording levels involved.

Richard

Richard the noise that you are hearing from the AT822, is unfirtunately my computers fan noise, as I have 3 fans in my case that was running at the time.
Also, unfortunately the mic was in a slightly differnt position for the recording using my Promix 3 mixer.  I realized afterward that the mic was slightly off center to  he right of the woofer.  This might be the reason for the slightly better less bassy recording. 
However, due to the low cut filters and limiters in the Promix 3, most of the noise from my computer fan ws eliminated.  This could also be due to the fact that because of teh limiters in the mixer, I wsa able to feed the R-09 a stronger signal, hense eliminating the low sound floor.
This was just a quick test, to see what the R-09 could do, between built in mic, external mic, and mixer line in feed to R-09.

Offline vegas06

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #144 on: June 10, 2006, 09:20:08 PM »
Hey, one question: Did you move the AT822 between the two samples?

I noticed that the line-in version just seemed to have more "presence".  More of a stereo image in particular.  Maybe that is just the quality/influence of the builtin mic pre that I'm hearing.

Oh yeah, who is the singer?

Richard

Richard, yes, the mic was in a slightly different position for the recording using my Promix 3 mixer. 
I realized afterward that the mic was slightly off center to the right of the woofer. 
This might be the reason for the slightly better more accurate stereo. 
Also, because of the low cut filters and limiters in the Promix 3, most of the noise from my computer fan was eliminated, and I was able to feed the R-09 a hotter signal eliminating the low sound floor.

Much  more detailed tests to come, using my mixer a matched pair of Rode NT5 mics (BTW, I don' want to hear it, the NT5's have worked great for me  ;D).
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 09:43:19 PM by vegas06 »

Offline Ruari

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #145 on: June 10, 2006, 11:04:18 PM »
I taped an acoustic guitar/fiddle jam with the R-09 and was very pleased; more challengingly, I taped myself on Highland Bagpipes and found that the sound is very good even from the internal mics; although it is possible that the Microtrack with its supplied T-mic gave a slightly bassier, fuller sound.  It is very unusual to find a small pocket recorder that will do anything like an acceptable job of taping bagpipes (I can hear the jokes comiing already) but really, Minidisc  (my Sharp 877) doesn't work at all.  The ATRAC-3  MD compression system seems to reproduce high >20 Khz harmonics in the audible <20 Khz spectrum ,causing a high whistling interference.  Cassettes are just unacceptable for bagpipes, the dynamic range is too low.   No such probs with the R-09 (or the Microtrack).  The ease of use, & Duracell AA batteries (which haven't run down, unlike the internal Microtrack battery) makes this the clear winner over the  Microtrack for me.  After 30 years I can actually tape bagpipes and it have it sound pretty good, like the real thing.  I'm chuffed.  No need for that PC interface, preamps, mics etc I was thinking of buying.

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #146 on: June 11, 2006, 09:21:43 AM »

After 30 years I can actually tape bagpipes and it have it sound pretty good, like the real thing.  I'm chuffed.

where's the torrent, y0   8)

Offline humbugu

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #147 on: June 11, 2006, 12:01:32 PM »
After 30 years I can actually tape bagpipes and it have it sound pretty good, like the real thing.  I'm chuffed.
MP3 or WAV?

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #148 on: June 11, 2006, 03:40:34 PM »

Richard the noise that you are hearing from the AT822, is unfirtunately my computers fan noise, as I have 3 fans in my case that was running at the time.
Also, unfortunately the mic was in a slightly differnt position for the recording using my Promix 3 mixer.  I realized afterward that the mic was slightly off center to  he right of the woofer.  This might be the reason for the slightly better less bassy recording.

vegas06, THANKS a lot for clearing that up. I was beginning to question my current pre-order for the R-09, and wondering if I should perhaps cancel it. Now I'm feeling a lot more confident about the purchase, and if nothing else, I want to try it out and see how I like it.

Also, do I hear you typing on your keyboard in the first R-09 sound sample?  ;D

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #149 on: June 11, 2006, 04:29:10 PM »
Used my R-09 in the field last night for the first time, also ran my R1 at the same time but I did not run a comparison test. Had zero problems running either unit. The R-09 is a breeze to use in the field under dark conditions. The display on the R-09 is always lit at a low level which is all you need to see everything clearly in a dark environment. If you use the hold button on the R-1, you can't turn the backlight on unless you disengage the hold button. On the R1, you have to toggle between display modes to view the recording levels and then see the time elapsed/remaining screen, where on the R-09, all the info is viewable on one screen.

Unlike both the R-1 and the MicroTrack, you have the ability to rename a file directly with the R-09. One big hindrance with the R-09 is that the unit resets it's default naming scheme with every formatted card you put in the unit. So if you’re recording a show using two different SD cards, at the end of the night you will have two different files, one on each card, with the same file name. ex-R09_0001.wav on card one - and R09_0001.wav on card two. So be careful not to overwrite one of the files when downloading both SD cards to your PC/MAC
dB-

CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com