Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best discrete mic for recording concerts  (Read 2979 times)

Offline -jnl-

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Best discrete mic for recording concerts
« on: September 21, 2019, 07:08:15 PM »
Hello all!

I got a camera that does really good 4k video for concerts, the sony rx100 mk7.  It has an external mic jack.  Which mic works best for recording concerts with a lot of bass?  I need the mic to be small.  No bigger than the one below i tried.

I tried this one:  https://www.amazon.ca/Rode-VideoMicro-Compact-Camera-Microphone/dp/B015R0IQGW/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
and it was terrible whenever any bass would kick in.  Totally distorted the sound and made it useless.

I tried adjusting the mic setting in the camera, and that made it even worse.

I might actually consider buying 2 mics and using one on my phone to record just audio, and one on the camera.  And then use whichever one works out best.

I am actually surprised at how poor the mic did since my cell phone (Huawei Mate 20 Pro) actually takes really good concert audio, even when strong bass kicks in its still usable.

If you want to see the camera in action this is the first time I tried the camera (sorry, i did a terrible job with zooming and holding it steady, was trying to figure the camera out....and i kept pressing the opposite direction for zoom that i wanted)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjse50OBvLE&list=PL30OplNkcvwTRDmAlmQQ5BN5hiCxWLxFo

Offline -jnl-

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Best discrete mic for recording concerts
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 07:27:47 PM »
What are the technical specs i should be looking for in a mic that will allow it to handle strong bass??

Offline -jnl-

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 07:32:02 PM »
Another question:  does the length of the cord between the camera and mic make much difference in the sound quality?  because i couldnt mount the mic on the camera, i had to use a much longer cord.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 09:27:16 PM »
What are the technical specs i should be looking for in a mic that will allow it to handle strong bass??
high max spl handling (>120 dB)

there are all kinds of options from $100 to thousands of dollars. what is your budget?

Another question:  does the length of the cord between the camera and mic make much difference in the sound quality?  because i couldnt mount the mic on the camera, i had to use a much longer cord.

for your purposes, no. if you were running 20+ feet, maybe subject to noise
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com