Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Free Video Editing Software?  (Read 5763 times)

ThePiedPiper

• Trade Count: (0)
Free Video Editing Software?
« on: May 17, 2019, 12:39:42 AM »
Is there any real good free video editing software out there that someone can recommend?

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Free Video Editing Software?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 06:28:17 AM »
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 06:56:31 AM »
Which platform?
On Mac, I have yet to exhaust the possibilities in the included iMovie - but I like to keep things simple and not clutter my computer and brain - others may feel it is limited.
Only time I deviate is to create my graphics in Keynote (to export them as movies with transparent background for use as overlay in the video)
Otherwise DaVinci Resolve as mentioned already if you are ok with a steeper learning curve.
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RĂ˜DE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

Offline Ronmac

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 08:06:10 AM »
DaVinci Resolve is the hands down winner in free editing software (it also includes the Fairlight audio editor) and colour correction,but......

you absolutely must respect the hardware requirements, especially GPU, as it relies entirely on your graphic card for processing power.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 05:01:37 PM »
DaVinci Resolve is the hands down winner in free editing software (it also includes the Fairlight audio editor) and colour correction,but......

you absolutely must respect the hardware requirements, especially GPU, as it relies entirely on your graphic card for processing power.

This is very true, and what caused me to uninstall it.  My minimal-spec GPU was not up to the task, and video is such a small part of what I do, it was not worth upgrading.

Sony Vegas is my main video editor, though not at all free.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

ThePiedPiper

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 10:34:06 AM »
Amazing responses !! THANK YOU. I've decided to try my hand at all these suggestions and see if one works better with my (limited) brain and (limited) video skills. So far the first suggestion, ShotCut, is really impressive.  I also found one from NCH that is free to home users, and I use to use their WavPad program a lot for audio, but this one felt a little "clumsy" (for lack of better words) to me.

:headphones:

Offline fguidry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Kaleponi - Slack Key in California
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 01:36:20 AM »
For those using REAPER for audio there's a useful video editing capability included these days.

I've done blog posts on both Shotcut http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2017/08/06/can-shotcut-cut-a-lampg-video/ and Hitfilm http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2017/09/06/lampg-video-in-hitfilm-express-2017/ and both programs have been enhanced since my look at them.

Fran

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 09:15:00 PM »
^ Thanks for the suggestion on Hitfilm.

I already have Resolve which I love, but it's overkill for some work.

This looks really nice for simple edits where I don't need to color grade (maybe it does it, but I'd still use Resolve for that)...but the big thing is it looks like it does 360 video, which Resolve doesn't do.

The only thing I've found that does 360 is Premiere and I'd prefer not to buy any software since I don't do a ton of video.

Hitfilm looks like it will run on a lower grade machine too. I think that is probably the best option if you don't have a $400+ video card and are just doing basic edits.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2019, 05:26:35 PM »
Which platform?
On Mac, I have yet to exhaust the possibilities in the included iMovie - but I like to keep things simple and not clutter my computer and brain - others may feel it is limited.
Only time I deviate is to create my graphics in Keynote (to export them as movies with transparent background for use as overlay in the video)
GREAT IDEA! THANK YOU!

:hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm: :o :o :o
<image of lightbulb going on in my head>
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline lodavyes

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2023, 03:21:45 PM »
Hey everyone! I totally get the struggle of finding good free video editing software. One option that I've found pretty awesome is Hit Film Express. It's got a lot of powerful features and a user-friendly interface, which makes it great for beginners. Besides Hit Film Express, there are a few other options worth checking out. One is Shotcut, which is known for its simplicity and wide range of features. Another popular choice is OpenShot, which offers a user-friendly interface and supports multiple platforms. For those who prefer a cloud-based solution, WeVideo is a great option with its intuitive editing tools. Choose a video editor based on your preferences and needs.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 03:41:55 AM by lodavyes »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com