Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best Hi-MD deck for taping?  (Read 7698 times)

Offline redbook

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Best Hi-MD deck for taping?
« on: March 02, 2006, 12:21:02 PM »
I'm looking for a backup deck, specially small for stealthy situations when JB3 is too big, I know MT is great but it is too expensive for a secondary deck
I'm going towards a used cheap Hi-MD from Ebay

Any experiences with Hi-MDs? What's the best model for taping? Any model with levels, opt out?
Any feedback is appreciated

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Best Hi-MD deck for taping?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 01:12:21 PM »
You might want to check the minidisc foums at minidisc.org.  But, the RH10 seems to be a popular model, it has a great display that is perfect for checking your levels in the dark.  Like all Sony decks, you have to access levels through a menu rather than directly with Sharp MDs.  No optical out on any models, the only way is to use the USB port.  Look for threads about SonicStage as well.

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 01:15:09 PM »
I'm looking for a backup deck, specially small for stealthy situations when JB3 is too big, I know MT is great but it is too expensive for a secondary deck
I'm going towards a used cheap Hi-MD from Ebay

Any experiences with Hi-MDs? What's the best model for taping? Any model with levels, opt out?
Any feedback is appreciated

There are no cheap portible models with optical out.

I would recomend the MZ-RH10 over the MZ-RH910 becasue it comes with a better battery and it has a backlight.  
If you do not need a mic in for electret mics than there might even be cheaper models with just a line in.    

check www.minidisco.com to see what models you like.  I would highly recomend getting one of the newer Hi-MD (2nd gen) models, like the ones I mentioned above.
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Depechemode1993

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 08:42:17 PM »
I know this model is a bit pricey but the Sony MZ-M100. since its a blacklit screen, its very nice for the dark in venues. also nice with adjusting the levels. as it tells you when you are over. my taper buddy has it and he says its just like a mini PCM-M1. I am hoping to get one soon.

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 12:39:33 AM »
So far as I can tell, all Hi-MD recorders have the same preamp and recording mechanism.  Sony has never said otherwise. The models differ in features and appearance, but not in the quality of the recording.  You can check the basics here  http://www.minidisc.org/part_Hi-MD_Sony.html

Flintstone

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 08:10:56 PM »
The M100 is basically an RH10 that comes with a mic and allows you to upload to a Mac rather than a PC.

Offline Rob D

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 12:21:10 AM »
regarding Flinstone's comment:
So far as I can tell, all Hi-MD recorders have the same preamp and recording mechanism.  Sony has never said otherwise. The models differ in features and appearance, but not in the quality of the recording.  You can check the basics here  http://www.minidisc.org/part_Hi-MD_Sony.html

= = =

I agree.  I compared the  mic pre noise and gain performance on the 900, 910 and RH-10 and could detect no difference. They're all remarkably quiet (~-125 dBA signal to noise) and have very high gain (~75dB).  A high-gain, noise performance comparison of the NH900 HIMD mic pre with some other popular recorder's internal pres is here: 

http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/MicroTrack_NH900_722Compare2.mov 

Rob D.

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 01:15:23 AM »
regarding Flinstone's comment:

= = =

I agree.  I compared the  mic pre noise and gain performance on the 900, 910 and RH-10 and could detect no difference. They're all remarkably quiet (~-125 dBA signal to noise) and have very high gain (~75dB).  A high-gain, noise performance comparison of the NH900 HIMD mic pre with some other popular recorder's internal pres is here: 

http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%20Preamps/MicroTrack_NH900_722Compare2.mov 

Rob D.

I agree too... The MD stuff is *very* good, at least for consumer level gear.  You can get very nice sound from the preamps, at least the newer HiMD with "lo sens" mic setting and manual levels.  Sound is even better if you use line in, either with a loud show or a (good) external preamp.  Combine that with ease of use, removeable media and great battery life, I think this is a really good starter or backup rig.

I would rate the MD as better than the AD20, and *almost* as good as a stock UA5.  I don't know why so many people are running NJB3 analog in.  Well, I guess they are waiting for something to put in front of it...

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline redbook

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 07:10:32 AM »
I would rate the MD as better than the AD20, and *almost* as good as a stock UA5.  I don't know why so many people are running NJB3 analog in.  Well, I guess they are waiting for something to put in front of it...

you talking about the ADC right?

zowie

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 10:16:47 AM »
I would recomend the MZ-RH10 over the MZ-RH910 becasue it comes with a better battery and it has a backlight.  

Agree!  I ignored that advice and bought the 910 because I couldn't see spending an extra $40 for a better display.  I shoulda spent it. It's impossible to read during a show without shining a pen light on it.

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 10:28:25 AM »
yep, I can't read the display at all at a show.  The battery is almost twice as good too.  900mah vs 1450mah The RH10 has a aluminum case too.

Oh well, other than the backlight I love the 910.
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

nameloc01

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2006, 08:05:29 PM »
i have a mzrh910, i would strongly suggest getting a unit that has a backlit display.i have to use a mini-maglite to see mine at shows,its really not too bad but it is another thing you dont want security noticing while you're trying to stealth a show.i'm not sure if they all come with one,but make sure you get a dry battery dock attachment,its a nice feature to have when recording the extra long shows.

Depechemode1993

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006, 03:46:50 PM »
and allows you to upload to a Mac rather than a PC.

thats why I need it.  ;)

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spare some change and testify!
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2006, 07:05:30 PM »
There's a new 3rd generation of Hi-MD recorder on the way this spring/early summer and it looks like the perfect Hi-MD for live tapers (everyone here).  I have owned several MD's and currently own the RH910 and RH10.  I usually record with the RH10 and keep the RH910 out for road trips and whatnots.  But, this new recorder my cause me to sell my RH10. 

Take a http://www.mp3-player.de/artikel.php?ArtNr=3057

Some of the specs mentioned or suggested:

From what we've heard (but cannot confirm), there will be:

- PC/Mac compatibility akin to the MZ-M10/100.
- High Definition Digital Amp.
- Possible full USB2.0 compliance, which is somewhat impossible due to a limitation of the hardware/disc.
- The only Hi-MD recording unit that will be released this year, possibly the last ever created.
- An option to keep manual record settings ON even when the unit is off, instead of the unit automatically resorting to Automatic Gain Control (AGC) when the unit is powered off and on.
- An option to turn off auto-track mark.
- Other additions that will make live recording much more intuitive.
- Cost will hover around $275-325USD (349Euro) at debut.
- Line in, mic in, headphone out, 5mW output and 6-band EQ.
- Aluminium body.

What we can assume:

- Easy and nonrestrictive upload of any recorded tracks due to advancements in Sonicstage 3.4, which it will ship with.
- Adjustable mic sensitivity (as the levels are clearly displayed via unit).
- Ability to charge via USB, like second generation Hi-MD units.
- Ability to record in all of the new ATRAC3plus bitrates, e.g. 192kbps + 352kbps
- OLED display (clearly displayed on picture).
- Uses NiMH gumstick battery with high possibility of AA-battery addon pack for enhanced battery life.

Looks great and I may have to bite the bullet and get this one, especially if the manual record levels spec is TRUE.  More discussion on the MDCF link thread: http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=14640

« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 07:09:55 PM by mrsoul »
It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe.  Sir Francis Crick

nameloc01

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2006, 02:09:10 PM »
There's a new 3rd generation of Hi-MD recorder on the way this spring/early summer and it looks like the perfect Hi-MD for live tapers (everyone here).  I have owned several MD's and currently own the RH910 and RH10.  I usually record with the RH10 and keep the RH910 out for road trips and whatnots.  But, this new recorder my cause me to sell my RH10. 

Take a http://www.mp3-player.de/artikel.php?ArtNr=3057

Some of the specs mentioned or suggested:

From what we've heard (but cannot confirm), there will be:

- PC/Mac compatibility akin to the MZ-M10/100.
- High Definition Digital Amp.
- Possible full USB2.0 compliance, which is somewhat impossible due to a limitation of the hardware/disc.
- The only Hi-MD recording unit that will be released this year, possibly the last ever created.
- An option to keep manual record settings ON even when the unit is off, instead of the unit automatically resorting to Automatic Gain Control (AGC) when the unit is powered off and on.
- An option to turn off auto-track mark.
- Other additions that will make live recording much more intuitive.
- Cost will hover around $275-325USD (349Euro) at debut.
- Line in, mic in, headphone out, 5mW output and 6-band EQ.
- Aluminium body.

What we can assume:

- Easy and nonrestrictive upload of any recorded tracks due to advancements in Sonicstage 3.4, which it will ship with.
- Adjustable mic sensitivity (as the levels are clearly displayed via unit).
- Ability to charge via USB, like second generation Hi-MD units.
- Ability to record in all of the new ATRAC3plus bitrates, e.g. 192kbps + 352kbps
- OLED display (clearly displayed on picture).
- Uses NiMH gumstick battery with high possibility of AA-battery addon pack for enhanced battery life.

Looks great and I may have to bite the bullet and get this one, especially if the manual record levels spec is TRUE.  More discussion on the MDCF link thread: http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=14640

thats the cats ass.

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2006, 08:11:44 PM »
You can buy the gumstick batteries on ebay any even some best buy/circuit city stores also might carry them.  I picked up an energizer 1300mah one for about $10 last year.  I dont think it lasts quite as long as they sony one that has 50 more mah but its nice to have as a spare and hella smaller then a AA inside the battery holder. 

I have the MZNH10 mostly because its got the OLED (backlit) and its the greatest thing ever. 
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline pelusa

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2006, 12:02:44 PM »
Now that the Edirol is out for several months for fixing the defective mic input jack, I am using the Sony RH910 for recording nature sounds.  I had originally planned for the sony to be the backup, as I hate learning yet another software program and prefer the CF cards.  But here I am.

Question:  I tried recording last night with the 910, and it takes 13 seconds to write a very short file (10-20 sec) to the minidisc.  Meaning, I can't record anything during that time period which can seem like a lifetime with nature recording.  I am using the 1 Gb Hi MD Sony disc, and recording in PCM mode which is necessary for avian vocalizations, ie no compression. 

Is the 13 second recording time a factor of the PCM recording, the 1 GB card, or do all recordings take that long to record to disc? 

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2006, 01:42:20 PM »
When you hit stop its writes what data is left in memory and then starts writing a table of contents to the disc.  15 seconds or so is about how long it takes.  If you hit the pause button it will not write the toc and you can start recording again instantly by pressing pause.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

nameloc01

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2006, 05:09:17 PM »
if you are even thinking about getting a hi-md. get one with a backlit display,if you dont just save your money.and if at all possible get the new sony.i beleive this model will function without automatically going into default automatic level set.the others you have to go into the menu every disc swap and reset the auto/manual mode.this can be a problem when time is a factor.i have a mz-m100(and an rh910) and i am already thinking of upgrading to the new model for that feature alone!!

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2006, 07:32:21 PM »
if you are even thinking about getting a hi-md. get one with a backlit display,if you dont just save your money.and if at all possible get the new sony.i beleive this model will function without automatically going into default automatic level set.the others you have to go into the menu every disc swap and reset the auto/manual mode.this can be a problem when time is a factor.i have a mz-m100(and an rh910) and i am already thinking of upgrading to the new model for that feature alone!!

Yep, what he said :)

I have the RH1 and being able to hit record and let it go is a fantastic feature.  The uploading of legacy mds doesnt hurt at all either.  If you sign up for the minidisco.com mailing list they will give you a 5% off your order code which is about $20 off the RH1 unit.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com