Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sonic Studios DSM-6SEH- couple of questions  (Read 2230 times)

Offline kenf.sound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Sonic Studios DSM-6SEH- couple of questions
« on: May 14, 2020, 12:10:31 PM »
Hello- I'm new to this forum. Thanks for all the great shared info.
I just pulled out my old set of DSM6s and powered them up w/ my Sony M-10. I remember an email w/ Guy about 5 years ago and he said the M-10 was perfect for powering the DSM mics. It's been about that long since I fired them up. I was surprised to hear that the mics have become really good 60Hz/EMR/noise pickups! I could barely find a place in the house that did't buzz like crazy. Every wall outlet was a source for hum and noise. I don't remember the DSMs doing that before. Could a component have failed in that crazy/cool custom jack assembly that Guy did? Any info is appreciated.
Also- I searched the forum for DSM/Sonic Studios and found a thread asking if anyone has the ability to service all the SS equipment out there since Leonard retired? I didn't see a response. Any info is appreciated.
Thanks again for this forum.
Cheers- Ken

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sonic Studios DSM-6SEH- couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 01:20:48 PM »
What do you usually record with those ? Nature?

I have 2 pairs of the DSM 1H.

I'll have to test mine out.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 01:28:36 PM »
Hi Ken, welcome to the forum.

Every wall outlet was a source for hum and noise.

The quick and easy "get the recording done" remedy may be to simply power the M10 with batteries rather than AC.

Furthering your troubleshooting, I'd begin by cleaning the contacts of the DSM plug and M10 jack well with isopropyl alcohol or electrical contact cleaner. Next try an alternate recorder to help determine if the noise pickup is in the M10 if you have access to one.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 02:15:11 PM »
Agreed on Gutbucket's advice. AFAIK, Leonard is retired and no longer working on his products.

Offline kenf.sound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 02:57:29 PM »
Hello- Thanks for the replies. Gutbucket- Sorry if I was unclear- the M-10 is battery powered. I meant that every wall outlet I get near is a source of hum I can hear in my phones. I'll try cleaning again. Thx. Beatkilla- Yes. I'm a sound designer and have used the DSM6s for ambiance capture and some 1st person SFX recording. I've also done some 1st person dialog recording. The mics can decode in an interesting way when mixed/played in various surround/"spatial" formats. They are just another cool tool in the toolbox! Thanks again, everyone. I'll update if I figure out what the problem is. Cheers- Ken

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 03:58:48 PM »
Happy to help.

The mics can decode in an interesting way when mixed/played in various surround/"spatial" formats. They are just another cool tool in the toolbox!

I recall that Lenard used to talk about that quite a bit.  I mostly do surround recording and played around with those aspects quite a bit before moving on to multi-microphone surround recording arrays.  A pair of alternate small omni mics will produce the same results when used in the same way. 

A few top quality alternates popular around here that are even smaller are DPA 4060 and AKG Sennheiser MKE2.  They provide a significantly increased SPL range of operation with similar self-noise to DSM, and although they use a similar unbalanced connection (can be used with balanced phantom power adapters), they have good shielding which outperforms some other miniature omni's I've used.  There are others and a number of less costly alternates, but those more or less define the top of the category.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 05:38:19 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 05:37:34 PM »
Yes Sennheiser MKE2, thanks for the correction.

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 06:00:15 PM »
A few top quality alternates popular around here that are even smaller are DPA 4060 and AKG Sennheiser MKE2.
And the Countryman B3 and B6.

(I'm a long time DPA4061 user)
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com