Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Big Thumbs UP for the Lavry Black  (Read 1480 times)

Offline Weirdness

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • ...driftin' and dreamin'...
Big Thumbs UP for the Lavry Black
« on: August 22, 2008, 01:44:30 PM »
Howdy folks!!!
     I have been keeping an eye on this DAC since it first came out as I used to run a Benchmark DAC1 and there was a lot of talk that this was a superior unit sonically.  I have been without the Benchmark for some time so I can't really say that I ever got a chance to A/B them but I will say that the Lavry DA10 is a great sounding unit regardless.  I would say that it's a bit more juicy and involving and it makes an absolute night and day difference for the Squeezebox that much is for certain.  Now that both my analog and digital sources as well as the rest of my system have been upgraded to a point that I am quite satisfied, I must say that the Squeezebox was a disappointment on it's own.  When I ditched the DAC1 and CEC transport that I was previously using I picked up an Arcam CD23t which has a version of the DCS "ring dac" in it and let's just say that it made the squeezebox sound pretty dull in comparison.  Anyways, with the recent discussion of a possible Lavry ADC for field recording I figured that there would be a lot of people that might be interested in this particular unit.  You definitely get all of the detail with this unit but it has both a very exciting musical character while being silky smooth at the same time.  Haven't tried out the headphone portion yet but I would expect that it does a great job for anyone but the extremely picky.  Not much of a headphone listener yet but there may come a time when I will be so it's always nice to have the option.  Anyways, I've only had it for a day so the honeymoon isn't over yet but without question it's a significant upgrade over the internal DAC in the squeezebox.  It should be for the price but it's always nice to hear a night and day difference as opposed to a "I think it sounds a bit better" type of reaction. 

Another word to the wise, if you are running a squeezebox with an external DAC, make sure that you defeat the volume control.  I thought that this was automatic when running digital out but you have to change the audio settings in squeezecenter to make the change.  Some have said that it makes no difference but I could definitely notice a positive change after defeating the volume control. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com