Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Modern all-in-one recorder help  (Read 36 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Modern all-in-one recorder help
« on: Today at 12:44:35 AM »
Hi All — Long time no see!

My old Fostex FR-2LE finally bit the dust and I'm in need of a new 2-4 channel recorder.  I have about a week to get one in-hand before my next recording and I have no clue about the current landscape of recorder options.  What better place to take advantage of the hive mind and identify a good replacement recorder?

Looking for something that roughly satisfies the following:
  • ~$500-ish, but not set in stone.
  • 2-4 channels of 48v phantom power (though I'm not opposed to more channels)
  • Min of 24-bit / 48 hz (I assume everything these days will do this)
  • Low noise analog components / internal preamps / ADC at high-ish gain.  I record a bunch of unamplified choral music and while the ambient noise floor relative to source sound isn't particularly low in the field — even with dead quiet audiences (e.g. HVAC) — I'd rather not add to it unnecessarily with noisy analog circuitry
  • Internal / onboard battery power of minumum 3 hours actual with 2-ch P48 / 10 ma draw
  • Ideally a plug for an external DC power source
  • Seamless WAV splitting
  • Non-proprietary media, e.g. SD
  • Non-proprietary file format, e.g. WAV / BWF (I assume everything is WAV / BWF?)
  • While not critical at all, I'd prefer to NOT have built-in X/Y mics sticking off the side / end (what a waste of space)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

These days I record mostly choral and organ music, with the occasional amplified bluegrass mixed in.  I anticipate getting back to louder amplified shows at some point in the next ~6 years (when the kiddo starts driving himself around).
« Last Edit: Today at 12:50:21 AM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline breakonthru

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Modern all-in-one recorder help
« Reply #1 on: Today at 01:17:33 AM »
welcome back!

certainly many users who could help a bit if you take the time to search and post in threads that are more topical to that which you seek

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com