Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need help EQing this recording  (Read 1197 times)

Offline bigchuck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Need help EQing this recording
« on: October 06, 2005, 09:41:55 PM »
Hi,

A friend of mine recorded Arlo Guthrie on 10-4-05 for me.  He was on the left, three rows back, right in front of the stack, so he got a great recording( he was running CSB>NJB3).  The sound quality is great, however, the volume is extremely low.  The crowd also gets kind of loud at times(compared to the talking and singing).  Anyway, I was wondering if someone could tell me the best way to get this to listenable quality, while preserving the sound the best I can.  I have cooledit 2.1 and acidpro 3.0 to work with.

I have provided a yousendit link of a sample of the master.  It has Arlo talking, and part of Mr. Tambourine Man.  Just copy and past the link and replace the hxxp with http.

hxxp://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2EVER6PI1O0S12XEDXDGGS3GH8

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Note:  I have to turn the volume all the way up and wear headphones to hear what Arlo is saying.

Thanks,
Charlie

Offline dgodwin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
Re: Need help EQing this recording
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 10:27:44 PM »
Welcome Charlie:

In your preferred audio editing program, I'd start by giving it a good 30 db boost to both channels.  It'll make some of the applause clip, but since it's applause, it's not a big deal.  When you take a listen, you'll hear some noise in the recording which is caused by the hard drive on the jb3 when recording via the analog in.  Anyways, take a listen, and then decide whether or not its worth persuing any further.  You may want to try and compress the recording to even out the levels between the applause and the song intros and songs themself.  You may want to try some noise reduction on the hard drive noises, or you may just want to leave it as is (what I would do FWIW) and go see Arlo again!  Hope this helps.  +t for your troubles...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com