Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: state of shntool/shorten/flac/mkwact on pc?  (Read 4683 times)

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: state of shntool/shorten/flac/mkwact on pc?
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2005, 10:39:42 AM »
I swear someone wrote an FFP checker ... I think it was Kevin (blu666? on here).
Out of the game … for now?

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2005, 12:07:38 PM »
>>and while i know that the torrent checks the files, that doesnt mean that the files that are supposed to be in a torrent are there. the outside md5 helps verify that...<<

the ffp file's purpose is to check if every file that's in the fileset is there..

(Forgive me if this already exists in xAct, I've not yet used it.)  But AFAIK there's currently no programmatic way to check the fileset against the FFP - it requires one to manually open the FFP and visually scan through each filename in the FFP to confirm its existence in the download directory.  I think the ideal solution:  don't bother with MD5s, but instead create an "FFP checker" feature one may use to select the FFP and target directory, and then programmatically check that each file in the FFP <1> exists in the target directory and <2> passes checksum verification.  Include a real-time, scrolling result set (no limit on viewable results, in contrast with FLAC Front End's limited log display) with a visual calling out of errors, and...excellent.  Add a context menu (pop-up) option to "Check FFP" without having to designate the FFP file or directory (assume FFP file right-clicked to access the context menu, and the current directory of the FFP file) and...woohoo!

FYI, it is in xACT.

Not only is it overkill because the md5 is built into FLAC, but checksum verifying is also built into bit torrent.  Your download wont show 100% until it has verified every bit is there.

True, but only if you're d/ling via BT.  Not all recordings are shared via BT.

Yes, but the statement specifically referred to torrented files.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2005, 01:17:51 PM »
ok i'll have a working shntool GUI for windows tonight

big T scott.  this is very cool!

As for the md5 on flacs issue.  With my multitrack files I often span 2-3 dvds so I md5 the whole file set and then each backup disc individually.  I allso include cue files and txt files and sometimes even pictures in my backups so the flac test feature is only part of the battle for me in my verification.  I also perfer the bennefit and ease of a 1 click backup/test

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2005, 11:27:00 AM »

(Forgive me if this already exists in xAct, I've not yet used it.)  But AFAIK there's currently no programmatic way to check the fileset against the FFP

yes it exists in xact, and it now exists in the xact for windows that i made

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com