Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stealth electrets into UA-5?  (Read 2600 times)

Offline BradM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Stealth electrets into UA-5?
« on: November 23, 2006, 01:53:59 PM »
So far, I've been using two rigs:

• Oktava MC-012 > Edirol UA-5 > Creative Nomad JB3 (with the UA-5 > JB3 link being optical)
  • SP-BMC3 > SP-SPSB1 > Creative Nomad JB3 (with the SPSB1 > JB3 link being analog line-in)

The SP-BMC3s are a pair of stealth (omni) electrets, and the SP-SPSB1 is a battery box (with bass roll-off).

What I'd like to try is

• SP-BMC3 > SP-SPSB1 > Edirol UA-5 > Creative Nomad JB3 (with the UA-5 > JB3 link being optical)

It'll take some heavy use of patch cables & adaptors to go from the 1/8" stereo plug coming out of the SP-SPSB1 to the UA-5, and I'm not sure exactly where to plug them in on it. The XLR mic ins on the UA-5 also accept 1/4" mono plugs, so I could do that (and not use phantom power), but do I need to fiddle with the Hi-Z/Lo-Z switch on the UA-5? I find the SPSB1 puts out something almost, but not quite, line level, so I don't know if the mic ins might be overloaded. (I'll be trying it out tonight, just to be sure.)

I know the UA-5 has a pair of RCA ins on the back, which I assume are line level, but I think there's a volume knob; the problem with this option is that the SP-BMC3 pair isn't quite matched, which is why I want to use the mic ins on the front, to be able to balance the channels.

The main reason I want to try this is to give me something that sounds better than going right from the stealths into the JB3, but which is lighter to carry than the full rig (which also needs a stand, and heavier cables, etc.). I'll still be using the full rig when/where I can, but it'll be nice to have a lighter option.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Aloha,
Brad
2015-07

03 / Pokey Lafarge / Ottawa, ON / Ritual
11 / PleasureCraft / Ottawa, ON / Irene's Pub

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: Stealth electrets into UA-5?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 03:08:25 PM »

• Oktava MC-012 > Edirol UA-5 > Creative Nomad JB3 (with the UA-5 > JB3 link being optical)
  • SP-BMC3 > SP-SPSB1 > Creative Nomad JB3 (with the SPSB1 > JB3 link being analog line-in)

The SP-BMC3s are a pair of stealth (omni) electrets, and the SP-SPSB1 is a battery box (with bass roll-off).

What I'd like to try is

• SP-BMC3 > SP-SPSB1 > Edirol UA-5 > Creative Nomad JB3 (with the UA-5 > JB3 link being optical)

It'll take some heavy use of patch cables & adaptors to go from the 1/8" stereo plug coming out of the SP-SPSB1 to the UA-5, and I'm not sure exactly where to plug them in on it. The XLR mic ins on the UA-5 also accept 1/4" mono plugs, so I could do that (and not use phantom power), but do I need to fiddle with the Hi-Z/Lo-Z switch on the UA-5? I find the SPSB1 puts out something almost, but not quite, line level, so I don't know if the mic ins might be overloaded. (I'll be trying it out tonight, just to be sure.)

I know the UA-5 has a pair of RCA ins on the back, which I assume are line level, but I think there's a volume knob; the problem with this option is that the SP-BMC3 pair isn't quite matched, which is why I want to use the mic ins on the front, to be able to balance the channels.

The main reason I want to try this is to give me something that sounds better than going right from the stealths into the JB3, but which is lighter to carry than the full rig (which also needs a stand, and heavier cables, etc.). I'll still be using the full rig when/where I can, but it'll be nice to have a lighter option.

Aloha,
Brad

Get a pair of AT853 with phantom adapters.  Plug right into the front of the UA5.  Small, quick setup, nice sound...

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline aberg

• Needs to get out more...
  • Team Canada
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 03:23:37 PM »

What I'd like to try is

Aloha,
Brad

Hey Brad, I think I can help you out here.

If you can find a female 1/8" to dual 1/4" male mono adapter, plug into the front. Of course, don't use phantom power and set it to Hi-Z. I'm pretty sure high impedence is synonymous with unbalanced gear, which your batt box most definitely is. You would then be powering the SP mics with the box, and taking advantage of the gain on the UA-5. That should work nicely.

I'll see ya for Mule in Toronto and we can talk about it more then if you'd like. I will be doing the same thing with my AT943's occasionally.

Cheers!

Offline BradM

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 08:15:04 AM »

If you can find a female 1/8" to dual 1/4" male mono adapter, plug into the front. Of course, don't use phantom power and set it to Hi-Z. I'm pretty sure high impedence is synonymous with unbalanced gear, which your batt box most definitely is. You would then be powering the SP mics with the box, and taking advantage of the gain on the UA-5. That should work nicely.

I'll see ya for Mule in Toronto and we can talk about it more then if you'd like. I will be doing the same thing with my AT943's occasionally.

Cheers!

Thanks, man, that's what I figured. I'll try out the arrangement on Saturday for The John Henrys (after checking it out in the basement) and see how it sounds. The day after Gov't Mule (where I'll be using the full rig; see you there :)), I'll be at Gypsy Co-op for Mr. Something Something, and might use the "mid" rig, as I figure it's a pretty small venue and my stand may be obtrusive. (I'm hoping to have dinner there a couple of hours before the show, which'll give me a chance to case the joint.)

Aloha,
Brad
2015-07

Offline aberg

• Needs to get out more...
  • Team Canada
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 04:27:06 PM »

Cheers!

Thanks, man, that's what I figured. I'll try out the arrangement on Saturday for The John Henrys (after checking it out in the basement) and see how it sounds. The day after Gov't Mule (where I'll be using the full rig; see you there :)), I'll be at Gypsy Co-op for Mr. Something Something, and might use the "mid" rig, as I figure it's a pretty small venue and my stand may be obtrusive. (I'm hoping to have dinner there a couple of hours before the show, which'll give me a chance to case the joint.)

Aloha,
Brad

Sounds good. Mule should be fun. I believe they will be roping off a section for us tapers so definitely bring your full rig as we won't have to worry about people messing with our stuff. *hopefully*

Offline BradM

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 10:23:51 AM »
I tried it, and the results were pretty good. I first tried it in the basement, and immediately noticed that the SP-SPSB1 puts out a lot higher level than my mics: when using the Oktavas (with -10db pads, usually) in clubs, I leave the level knobs on the UA-5 up about 80%-90% of max. With the SP-BMC3 > SP-SPSB1, I had them at about 50% of max.

It's not the best recording, but I think it's better than what would have come out without the UA-5. I'll keep it as an option for situations where there isn't a good place to set a stand (ideally with other support available; the venue in this case has an arch about 10' from the stage, DFC, with a 3' inside width), or when I want to carry less gear (it actually wasn't that much lighter, which surprised me a bit).

Aloha,
Brad
2015-07

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com