Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices' new 32 channel, 36 track, 16 mic/line preamp premium the Scorpio  (Read 8137 times)

Offline IronFilm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
Price isn’t that surprising considering a new 788t goes for $6849.

Nice, but I don’t need that capacity.  And as noted, geared more for production sound.

I strongly doubt there are many 788T being sold new at full price, most people would rather buy new a 688

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
I strongly doubt there are many 788T being sold new at full price, most people would rather buy new a 688

A friend of mine is a camera op for a major sports broadcasting network in the US. They buy 10 -20 new 788s every year. Dont underestimate the deep pockets of the broadcast industry. Not everyone is an independent stuck with a Zoom.

He did tell me not long ago that they are considering replacing the 788s with something new and this new deck may be it.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
I guess those broadcast guys who are working for big companies which are set in their ways and don't want to bother trying anything different

But for any individuals buying it for themselves?? I doubt it

Offline old and in the way

• Taperssection Regular
Anyone need a kidney .I got an extra for 8995.00

An oddly precise figure you want for your Kidney ;-)

I'd ask for more but there's a lot of miles on it

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
looks cool, but can't imagine any tapers would have a need for 32 channels? even if you're running 4 sets of mics and a board feed (which is rather extreme to begin with), a mixpre-10T would serve just fine.

Even in the film world (that the Scorpio is targeted at) many many users will never use all 32 channels, they'd be buying the Scorpio for its many other benefits and often be running just a couple to ten ish or so channels at once on many shoots.

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
Going to make a wild guess today for when the "Scorpio Micro" will happen, am thinking: late 2020 or earlier it will ship! (fingers crossed)

Sound Devices was impressive in pushing out heaps of MixPre recorders quickly. But if we ignore the M variants, as they're just "small" differences, then they had three: 3 / 6 / 10T. 

The last of them was the MixPre10T, which has a roughly year and half gap between the 10T shipping and when Scorpio will ship. 

Thus if we figure out a similar product development cycle for the next big release then this will come in late 2020, which is roughly a year and half from now. 

However hopefully the product development for a "Scorpio Micro" will be faster than making the Scorpio from scratch (which is totally different to the MixPre10T which came just before it!), so maaaaaybe we can see a Scorpio Micro at NAB 2020? ;-)

Offline lukpac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
looks cool, but can't imagine any tapers would have a need for 32 channels? even if you're running 4 sets of mics and a board feed (which is rather extreme to begin with), a mixpre-10T would serve just fine.

Depends on what kind of "taping" you're doing. Most everything I do these days is multitrack, rather than board/room, so this would be welcome. That said, I can't justify spending $9,000 on it.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com