Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Problems!  (Read 2100 times)

Offline ChitownTaper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Problems!
« on: July 12, 2004, 12:18:31 PM »
Hey!

So classically I don't run a test of my gear until 1 hr before I have to leave for a DVD shoot.  I'm running KM184>USBpre1.5 (24/48)>Peak 4LE (G4 powerbook 1gb RAM).  There is just a constant static across everything I record.  When I talk the static gets louder with my voice, when I it's quiet there's just a low static.  I tried switching to Spark ME, same problem.  I made sure that the sample rates matched, I tried switching to 16/48 and 16/44.1 and still the same problem.  Has anyone run into this before?  Any idea why this might be happening?  I'll take any advice anyone can give at this point!

Thanks!
Cal
Chitowntaper@comcast.net

jpschust

Re: Problems!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 03:20:55 PM »
first did you try swapping cables in and out to see if it might be a cable issue?

Offline ChitownTaper

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 03:30:39 PM »
I didn't try swapping cables out, no.  But I didn't because of this (i forgot to mention it in my post)...

When I plug headphones in and switch the knob to monitoring the Pre it's clear as day, no static or anything.  Then when I switch it to Computer and listen to what I've recorded it's got all the static.  So it's a problem somewhere after it get's to the pre. (i would imagine, i could be wrong)

thanks!
cal

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 03:34:45 PM »
let me say i dont know shit about macs, but i know i have to select my usbpre as the recording device in wavelab everytime because it defaults to microsoft mapper which records from the shitty mic on my vaio. sorry if this doesnt help. btwi thought you mac freaks never had problems.  ::)
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 05:55:07 PM »
Dre - You probably need to save your preferences sometime after selecting the UA-5, and never start up Wavelab without it connected and powered up
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline ChitownTaper

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 07:13:02 PM »
This is the first problem I've ever had with my Powerbook since I got it a year and a half ago.  Can't complain about that!

I talked with the guys and sound devices and apparently what happens is after the audio app launches the Audio Midi controller often reverts to 8bit.  I had to go in and manually change it back to 24/48. 

Sooooooo problem is solved.

Thanks all
Cal

Offline tactilius

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 12:35:48 AM »
I had the same exact 8-bit static problem; took me forever to figure out what was happening! 
And I still get caught by it, if I'm not careful- often with sad results  (I record my own band and often can't monitor the recording.)
Seems like it should be a simple enough bug to fix (not that I know the first thing about programming for OSX!)
  But it can definitely be tiring, switching apps to make sure that the audio prefs haven't started misbehaving.   Other than that, the USB is a decent box.      If anyone has any further insight into the issue drop me a line for sure
peace
Josh Roseman
mujician
http://jru.blogs.com/jru

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2004, 07:30:23 AM »
I've had issues while recording in Sound Studio on my 1 gHz iBook. I would gets clicks every few seconds. I recorded the aiff file and it was clear as a bell. While it's a pain to monitor I have just learned to let it work and all should be fine (yet to have any issues). Not sure if this is the same issue though. just similar.
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com