Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording with gear using 32bit Float - The Recording Experience  (Read 9987 times)

Offline ideal77dlr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
Re: Recording with gear using 32bit Float - The Recording Experience
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2019, 03:57:57 PM »
Would this - very small and inexpensive - box work for recording loud music then? If I understand the logic of 32 bit float, surely it would??

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/09/14/tentacle-sync%E2%80%8B-introduces-track-e-32-bit-floating-point-audio-recorder/
Sony D7 DAT : Edirol R-09HR : CA-11s (cards & OMNIs): CA-14s : SP-CMC-2s : CA-1900

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2019, 04:47:02 PM »
yes but its mono

it is discussed here

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=191874.0

any recorder can record "loud music", provided you select a microphone with the proper sensitivity.

this is why people prefer DPA 4061s over the 4060s. Both can handle similar high SPL, but the 4061 has an output thats more appropriate for our application

as for the "logic of 32 bit float", you dont need 32 bits (or even 24-bit for that matter) to make a great recording... in fact there are tons of great recordings on 16bit digital and many more from analog gear that offered equivalent 70-80 dB dynamic range that 12-14 bits would allow.

Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline ideal77dlr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2019, 05:26:09 AM »
yes but its mono

it is discussed here

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=191874.0

any recorder can record "loud music", provided you select a microphone with the proper sensitivity.

this is why people prefer DPA 4061s over the 4060s. Both can handle similar high SPL, but the 4061 has an output thats more appropriate for our application

as for the "logic of 32 bit float", you dont need 32 bits (or even 24-bit for that matter) to make a great recording... in fact there are tons of great recordings on 16bit digital and many more from analog gear that offered equivalent 70-80 dB dynamic range that 12-14 bits would allow.

We’ll no, not all recorders that don’t have technology like this can record loud music. If I plug my mics into a voice recorder it won’t be able to handle it.

I know you don’t need 32 bit float to make a good recording. Funny enough I’ve made plenty of good recordings without it. That’s not the point of the discussion.

The deal breaker for me would be Mono, but I’d imagine it’s only a matter of time until the 32 Bit Float option is available via a very, very small handhand recorder like the Roland.
Sony D7 DAT : Edirol R-09HR : CA-11s (cards & OMNIs): CA-14s : SP-CMC-2s : CA-1900

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2019, 05:38:43 AM »
We’ll no, not all recorders that don’t have technology like this can record loud music. If I plug my mics into a voice recorder it won’t be able to handle it.

nor can this, necessarily. They havent released any specs on max input level yet. i wouldnt expect it to be much out of range of the normal handheld, say 0 to +4 dBV or so, which very hot mics or a SBD could still overload

I know you don’t need 32 bit float to make a good recording. Funny enough I’ve made plenty of good recordings without it. That’s not the point of the discussion.

it kind of is, as it seems a lot of people misconstrue 32bit as being able to get around the practical limitations of the analog stages that precede it.

This other thread with a technical discussion of 32-bit float is worth a look, the input level limitations are discussed extensively

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=192100.0
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com