Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: FLAC tagging question (xACT)  (Read 9228 times)

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
FLAC tagging question (xACT)
« on: June 03, 2011, 02:00:36 PM »
I had a show with a song that has an ellipsis in the title (as an example: Find It...Quick!). I used xACT for the tagging if that matters. Problem is that the song title shows "###" instead of "..."

I'm wondering if anyone knows if this issue is related to:

1. xACT tagging the file wrong?
2. other programs reading the tag wrong?
3. the "." not being a supported character for FLAC tags so it gets replaced by "#" no matter what software is used to tag/read the file?
4. some other issue I'm not aware of?

If the "..." is not supported what do people usually put in it's place? I don't like the "###" in there. I guess I might use a comma or underscore if I have to.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 02:02:43 PM by ashevillain »

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: FLAC tagging question (xACT)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 02:41:45 PM »
I had this problem recently and I put spaces in between the periods.  Makes for a very long song name when playing in your favorite player, but it's better than seeing #'s. 

example: "Monkey . . . Knife . . . Fight"
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 03:07:59 PM »
You know what's weird? I just manually typed the title for that track instead of letting it pull the name from the text file and it appears to have worked. It reads just fine with the "..." in Toast, Cog and VLC. I guess the problem is in xACT (or maybe the shntool functionality) pulling info from text file...must not like the consecutive periods. I had the same problem when using the shntool len function to create the setlist with the track times.

It will be interesting when I burn the discs with Toast (using CD-text)...in this case it might depend on whether my CD player will display that character.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 03:37:25 PM »
I think it's a bug in xACT as I have seen this issue with various characters in xACT (the look fine in Foobar or a player - pull up in xACT and the characters are replaced with #'s). 

Typically I see these issues with non-ASCII characters (i.e. Unicode characters)

Such as:
ü

So the period may not be the same period that is in the ASCII character set -> Is it an existing TAG or one you entered - have you tried rewriting it?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 03:40:57 PM by H²O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 03:53:04 PM »
So the period may not be the same period that is in the ASCII character set -> Is it an existing TAG or one you entered - have you tried rewriting it?

In my first post I had tagged the file with the Auto-name function and it appeared with the "###" characters in Toast, Cog and VLC. Also the shntool len function had the same characters.

In my second post I manually typed in the track name for the tag and it appeared with the correct "..." characters in the same 3 programs.

Offline H₂O

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 04:36:28 PM »
It could be converting ... (three ASCII) into … (a single Unicode Character) some text fields may do this automatically (i.e. in MS-Word).

It's funny I copied the ... char out of MS-Word and pasted it into this text field and it takes it but ends up converting it to
(                                  )
when I post the message - so maybe something similar is happening in SMF as well.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 04:42:30 PM by H²O »
LMA Recordings

List

Offline H₂O

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 04:41:41 PM »
In Unicode it is:

U+2026Horizontal Ellipsis
LMA Recordings

List

Offline H₂O

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 04:44:40 PM »
My guess is that it is a type bug somewhere xACT where a unicode char is being cast to a ascii char - but this is only a guess - Scott Brown would be able to shed light on this (if it is a bug at all).
LMA Recordings

List

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 01:33:09 PM »
xACT is (was) just calling the command line "metaflac" command.  The way cocoa works, though, was converting any unicode arguments I was passing to metaflac.  I spent a bunch of time yesterday and this morning to change the way tags are working.  xACT no longer call the command line "metaflac" and will read and write the tags directly.  i've also added support for album art

need to do some more testing and cleanup tomorrow

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 02:54:47 PM by scb »

Offline H₂O

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 03:54:52 PM »
THX - One other request - can you add in the ability to add in tags using a cue file or when you split a larger file using a cue file it will tag the new files based on the information in the cue file?
LMA Recordings

List

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 03:58:11 PM »
THX - One other request - can you add in the ability to add in tags using a cue file or when you split a larger file using a cue file it will tag the new files based on the information in the cue file?

Do cue sheets even hold that type data? I thought they only held the split point data, not tagging data.

Offline H₂O

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 04:03:21 PM »
Cue files can hold:
 - Artist
 - Album/Venue info
 - Track Name
 - Track Number

People use them in foobar/Cog/VLC to play CD "images" and provide the same information found in seperate tagged files  (i.e. instead of a tracked version of DSoM there is a single FLAC file   with an associated CUE file - this allows for preservation of Pregap,   etc).  I would think this may bleed over into our realm at some point where some purests want a single FLAC and associated CUE file instead of a bunch FLAC files.

Think of like the FLAC file is the entire audio stream of the CD and that the CUE file is the Table of contents with CD-Text.   EAC allows you to generate these from a CD with the correct options selected.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 04:14:41 PM by H²O »
LMA Recordings

List

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 08:41:08 PM »
i can take a look at it and see how much work it might be.  also need to think how i'd actually do the interface

Offline scb

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 12:22:22 PM »
ok, got something working.  needs some testing, though.  I need to make sure I didn't break the existing track name functionality

Offline H₂O

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 12:23:42 PM »
I would think you could just add a check box to the shntool screen "on split attempt to tag" or something like that.  Or just make it automatic on a shntool split using a cue file with corresponding fields.

I don't know how integrated the two are - if at all.
LMA Recordings

List

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com