Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Can I tape with my laptop?  (Read 2865 times)

Offline phishmarisol

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Team MP3 Baby
Can I tape with my laptop?
« on: March 29, 2004, 02:10:49 AM »
I have read up about system requirements and I know I have that stuff fine.  But I have no idea what a sound card even really is and if I would need one other than what came in my computer.  Also, all my taping is SBD > Recording unit.  What kind of cable would I use?  Right now I am using a JB3 with an analog cable and I would prefer to be able to use a $10 cable with the laptop instead of a $150 cable!  Just thinking about this as an option and all responses are appreciated.

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • They're baaack! ??
Re:Can I tape with my laptop?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 10:34:57 AM »
I believe you will need some sort of A/D convertor b/w the SBD and the laptop.  I do not know of anyway to run straight into the laptop.  UA5 is def a cheap way to go, I saw one in the yard sale for 200 shipped, with DIY digimod(to allow for JB3 simult.).And then you go from UA5 to laptop via usb.  There may be other cheaper A/D's for laptop, Im not sure of their prices tho.
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 11:19:34 AM »
If you're always getting a board feed then there's no reason why you couldn't get a VXPocket & use the XLR ins from the board. Just be sure the sbd doesn't send you phantom or you shall suffer the BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! factor.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline phishmarisol

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team MP3 Baby
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 03:55:45 PM »
Just be sure the sbd doesn't send you phantom or you shall suffer the BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! factor.

Thanks, but I have no idea what this means.

jpschust

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 04:48:32 PM »
well if the sbd sends you phantom (which it wont because you are going out of the tape outs normally) you will fry the card and possibly your computer, hence the boom factor.

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 05:05:22 PM »
Thanks for that cover, Jonny.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004, 09:04:39 AM »
a suggestion, google digigram vxpocket v2.  it is a soundcard that is compatable with most laptops.  then read everything about the soundcard.  that should help you get that much closer to taping in the field with your laptop.  it is VERY possible and if you have SBD access, power shouldn't be that hard to get.  good luck and +T

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2004, 06:51:34 PM »
don't forget the Echo Indigo

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2004, 11:56:33 AM »
does the indigo have inputs?  i'm not sure it does.
ok, if you're only taping from the soundboard, just get a device that has an a/d converter in it, you do not need mic pres.  the vxpocket will work but still the a/d is being performed by the card which is inserted into the laptop, and is not ideal because of the interference that can be introduced by the surrounding electronics.  also, on the same thought process here, do not use the inputs on your laptop, the a/d will be crap.   you want an external device to do your a/d conversion for you.
the ua-5 is a good option, you can also try an egosys u24 (or u2a if you can find it used) or the emagic devices, they used to be called 2|6 and 6|2 but the names are slightly different now.  all of these connect via usb and have analog inputs and do the a/d conversion outside of your laptop.  the quality of the a/d may not be the best but it will be better than whatever soundcard is inherent in your laptop.  these devices typically run under the $200 mark.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2004, 04:20:24 PM »
the Indigo IO has an 1/8" stereo input, but like simp says you proabbly want an outboard a/d

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.106 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com