Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: do dats go bad from being frozen?  (Read 2106 times)

rabhan

• Trade Count: (0)
do dats go bad from being frozen?
« on: December 28, 2003, 09:50:24 AM »
i just found a box of dats that have been in my car for over a month. the outside temps have varied from 25 to 60degrees from day to night or so. some days not as cold, some not as hot. are these blanks still usable? they are still in the shrinkwrap, so, i wouldnt think that moisture could enter them. any feedback is appreciated.....

-jon

Offline Kwonfidelity

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Press Record!!!
Re:do dats go bad from being frozen?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2003, 10:00:08 AM »
Did you shock them?  Meaning did you bring them from cold temp to warm temp immediately?  If so, I would refrain from using them as condensation may have accumulated on the tape and left residue then you're going to drag that part of the tape across you heads.  If they have been out in your car, they have been going from extreme cold to warm, but gradually so they don't get shocked as badly as walking them in from extreme cold to room temp.  In my mind, you're taking a $40 risk.

Shocking applies to equipment also.  Avoid it!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2003, 10:01:18 AM by Kwonfidelity »
Southern Recording, Inc.
High Fidelity Audio Capture

rabhan

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2003, 10:17:49 AM »
no, definately not shocking them, they have just been in my car for about a month going thru the normal temp changes. however, when it has been like 30degrees outside, i have heated up the car to drive, is that shocking them?

Offline Mark

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2003, 11:19:46 AM »
You should be fine as long as they aren't below freezing temp then "shocked" by bringing them inside your home of ~70 degrees.  Moisture could build if that is the case, but otherwise, I wouldn't worry.  Bring them to temp gradually.

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2003, 05:21:20 PM »
if they did get moisture in them, i'd just let them dry, see if they work.  make sure you let them sit for a while, i know that shocking your deck isn't good right D?  i guess on his d8 the drive was frozen, and it just had to make it up to room temp and it was ok.  kinda weird, but i don't like to leave my stuff in my car, just in case, cold hot, or theft.. none are good..  
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2003, 11:02:28 PM »
i had some get frozen, leaked on, and then i dryed them in the microwave.  no probrem ;D

jr
we all live downstream.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com