Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: B9Audio microphone discussion  (Read 63948 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: B9Audio microphone discussion
« Reply #135 on: April 10, 2019, 05:36:34 PM »
Sounds like a fun listening test. I'll try and give a listen tonight if I get the opportunity. How would you like us to submit our answers?

I'm strongly considering trying one or two of your figure-8s as a Mid-channel microphones in my multichannel arrays, but haven't gotten around to doing anything about it yet.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline b9audio

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • B9audio
« Reply #136 on: April 11, 2019, 01:01:50 AM »
Sounds like a fun listening test. I'll try and give a listen tonight if I get the opportunity. How would you like us to submit our answers?

I'm strongly considering trying one or two of your figure-8s as a Mid-channel microphones in my multichannel arrays, but haven't gotten around to doing anything about it yet.

PM me your answer. Will do other fun test when I have time. Want to do VR/Surround next time.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #137 on: April 11, 2019, 09:25:47 AM »
Will do.  Didn't get a chance to listen last night, but will do so once I get home next week.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline b9audio

• Taperssection Regular
    • B9audio
« Reply #138 on: April 13, 2019, 02:33:07 AM »
FSM44V, side address cardioid pair. Flexible Stereo Microphone, user can change capsule and mount for other stereo setup.

Offline b9audio

• Taperssection Regular
    • B9audio
« Reply #139 on: April 16, 2019, 05:56:57 AM »
Still not yet receive correct answer. This B9audio FSM44V could be yours as soon as you are the first one give the right answer.

Offline b9audio

• Taperssection Regular
    • B9audio
« Reply #140 on: April 22, 2019, 04:10:33 AM »
Here is the answer.
https://youtu.be/vT2KO2t0rFo

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #141 on: April 23, 2019, 03:22:41 PM »
I've still not made the time to listen properly but look forward to doing so, if only to test my perception of stereo microphone configurations.   I see the youtube link with answers posted immediately above is the same link that was posted previously.  So as not to spoil the self-test, will I be able to avoid inadvertently seeing the answers until after doing the listening?

Offline b9audio

• Taperssection Regular
    • B9audio
« Reply #142 on: July 12, 2019, 12:00:46 PM »
Develop the a very flexible stereo microphone. It can be almost the same as a fixed single body stereo microphone, but can be re-configured when you need to do so.
This is a demo of a small spaced stereo between coincident Xy and ORTF.
https://youtu.be/rVaBwgWnvpQ

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #143 on: July 14, 2019, 12:26:28 PM »
Develop the a very flexible stereo microphone. It can be almost the same as a fixed single body stereo microphone, but can be re-configured when you need to do so.
This is a demo of a small spaced stereo between coincident Xy and ORTF.
https://youtu.be/rVaBwgWnvpQ

How does that do xy or mid-side?  It looks like the microphones are spaced apart horizontally.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline b9audio

• Taperssection Regular
    • B9audio
« Reply #144 on: July 16, 2019, 01:58:55 AM »
This is the XY setting. The MS setting can be configured with the same bracket with end address M and a standard figure-8.

Offline b9audio

• Taperssection Regular
    • B9audio
« Reply #145 on: September 11, 2019, 09:49:48 AM »
Glad to see the new kid in town.

Offline lmgbtapes

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #146 on: September 11, 2019, 04:55:56 PM »
Recorded a nearly sold out rock show with CM150f DINa in a less than ideal position- in the corner of the room near the SBD

https://images.app.goo.gl/SkxhPJu18ak6tBd48 <- Sbd Visible near bottom left of image. Mics were as tucked into the corner as possible directly next to the wall.

They performed rather admirably considering the circumstances. EQ'd to reduce some low end boominess and applied a de-esser.

https://archive.org/details/tmg2019-08-28

I recorded a show from the same band in a different venue the following night. Mics were in more ideal position DFC roughly 30' back. DINa was PAS. I matrix'd it with some CA-14s I had on stage- I am a big fan of the band's drummer and love the capture from the kit with CA14 on stage lip. Let me know if anyone wants the B9 raws and I can upload.

https://archive.org/details/tmg2019-08-29

Offline b9audio

• Taperssection Regular
    • B9audio
« Reply #147 on: September 12, 2019, 01:07:11 AM »
During developing B9audio series products, there're several possibilities:
1. Single one body design. Includes capsules, pre-stage, and XLR plug in a single body. Same as most microphones.
2. Inter-changeable, capsules as pure capsules. Pre-stage and XLR can be a single body, or the XLR can be separated by a cable (CMP1C) or by a low profile boom (BM xxx C).
3. Inter-changeable, capsules always built together with pre-stage. Such as MKH8000, or CCM, that the XLR part could be separated to insert optional module. Not a bad idea, since the electronics could be optimised and always low-impedance, and balanced.

Modern electronics technology makes it possibly to shrink down in some way, but not in the other, such as the true condenser capsules and XLR connectors. XLR maybe bulkier than modern connectors, but it is already an established standard that is so popular, and doesn't seem to be replaceable.

2 years after CMP1 announced, FSM series built upon CMP1C, a pre-stage that the XLR plug was separated from a single body. And this makes it possible to build a very flexible stereo microphone. No matter it is ORTF, XY, MS....
In this way, the user doesn't have to stock all kinds of microphones, instead, a single system that can be configured according to demand.
There will be some exciting new products coming out later, and it is so nice that name brands agreed to our point of view by releasing their new products.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #148 on: September 17, 2019, 12:07:44 PM »
I urge you to consider a super flexible stereo microphone variant:  A stereo microphone similar to CSM88 except with an interchangeable top capsule.  In other words, a bidirectional capsule permanently fixed to a stereo amplifier with 5 pin XLR, on the end of which the user can attach a second capsule of their choice - which can be any of your various side or end-address capsules.  It would provide many Blumlein/Mid-Side stereo configuration options in a single stereo microphone.

Various setup options:

1) C8 Bi-directional 2nd capsule - producing a CMS88 equivalent Blumlein crossed-8 pair (side-address orientation)
2) Side-address CV4 cardioid or CV5 supercardioid 2nd capsule - providing choice of Mid channel pattern for M/S stereo in side-address orientation.
3) End-address C2 omni, C3 subcardioid, C31 wide cardioid, C4 cardioid, C5 supercardioid, or C7 interference-tube gun 2nd capsule- choice of Mid channel pattern for M/S stereo in end-address orientation.

Options 1 and 2 provide "acoustically correct" vertically-coincident options. Option 3 provides end-address "stereo pencil microphone" configuration for applications where such an orientation is preferable: on camera video (likely to be the largest market), nature and location effects recording, Taperssection style concert taping rigs, etc. 

It represents a unique product no other manufacturer produces, via a design which satisfies the requirements of multiple markets, and it should not be difficult to implement as you already have all individual component elements developed except the housing. The "both capsules in-line with the mic body" configuration is an important differentiation from your current "side-by-side" X/Y side-address or "one-atop-the-other" M/S end-address coincident stereo options.  It would provide flexibility to the user in the form of a clear path forward regarding future purchases of additional 2nd capsules.  You win with return customers, customers win with modular flexibility in a unique system.

If you want to get fancy, you can offer it with a switchable M/S matrix in the amplifier providing direct L/R output in addition to M/S (but please not L/R only without M/S output)

I offer this suggestion because I've  thought about and wished for such a system for years.  I would be especially interested in the end-address configuration using a C7 interference-tube gun Mid, as I find myself looking around at "fixed" stereo short-shotgun options: Neumann RSM 191A as the reference; AKG MKH-418S; Audio Technica BP4029; the new Sanken CMS-50..

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #149 on: September 17, 2019, 06:02:56 PM »
I urge you to consider a super flexible stereo microphone variant:  A stereo microphone similar to CSM88 except with an interchangeable top capsule.  In other words, a bidirectional capsule permanently fixed to a stereo amplifier with 5 pin XLR, on the end of which the user can attach a second capsule of their choice - which can be any of your various side or end-address capsules.  It would provide many Blumlein/Mid-Side stereo configuration options in a single stereo microphone.

Various setup options:

1) C8 Bi-directional 2nd capsule - producing a CMS88 equivalent Blumlein crossed-8 pair (side-address orientation)
2) Side-address CV4 cardioid or CV5 supercardioid 2nd capsule - providing choice of Mid channel pattern for M/S stereo in side-address orientation.
3) End-address C2 omni, C3 subcardioid, C31 wide cardioid, C4 cardioid, C5 supercardioid, or C7 interference-tube gun 2nd capsule- choice of Mid channel pattern for M/S stereo in end-address orientation.

Options 1 and 2 provide "acoustically correct" vertically-coincident options. Option 3 provides end-address "stereo pencil microphone" configuration for applications where such an orientation is preferable: on camera video (likely to be the largest market), nature and location effects recording, Taperssection style concert taping rigs, etc. 

It represents a unique product no other manufacturer produces, via a design which satisfies the requirements of multiple markets, and it should not be difficult to implement as you already have all individual component elements developed except the housing. The "both capsules in-line with the mic body" configuration is an important differentiation from your current "side-by-side" X/Y side-address or "one-atop-the-other" M/S end-address coincident stereo options.  It would provide flexibility to the user in the form of a clear path forward regarding future purchases of additional 2nd capsules.  You win with return customers, customers win with modular flexibility in a unique system.

If you want to get fancy, you can offer it with a switchable M/S matrix in the amplifier providing direct L/R output in addition to M/S (but please not L/R only without M/S output)

I offer this suggestion because I've  thought about and wished for such a system for years.  I would be especially interested in the end-address configuration using a C7 interference-tube gun Mid, as I find myself looking around at "fixed" stereo short-shotgun options: Neumann RSM 191A as the reference; AKG MKH-418S; Audio Technica BP4029; the new Sanken CMS-50..

I second Gutbucket's request.  This is a VERY cool idea. :clapping:

My additional request that an optional end cap be sold such that this theoretical mic could be used without the second interchangeable capsule - in other words, the "bottom" fig8 mic on its own as a mono mic.  This would allow you to take that second capsule and use it elsewhere on another amplifier body.  For a use example: this would allow someone to quickly change between compact Blumlein and a Faulkner array with only two capsules and amplifiers.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com