Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Transferring cassettes on Mac OS  (Read 6866 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: Transferring cassettes on Mac OS
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2020, 06:00:54 PM »
I can send you my old SE-U55

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Onkyo-SE-U55-USB-Digital-Audio-Processor-for-computers-Japan/293626730464?hash=item445d8457e0:g:UYUAAOSwo69excLw

No one seems to want it but it does an excellent job at 16/44 cassette transfers.

There is almost no learning curve.

^thats what you want! and a generous offer.
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2020, 06:12:57 PM »
you can also use any of the numerous digital recorders by tascam, zoom, and others, which can also be found starting around $100 and are a useful addition to your toolkit. even the small voice recorders by olympus and sony will offer better performance than the mac line-in

I was wondering if anyone was going to post this idea.

I use my MixPre-6 to record tapes and vinyl to convert to digital.

The extra step is a PITA, but it's really not that bad.

Looks like the OP has plenty of options from their sig.

Tape player > Line in on the M10 will work great.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2020, 06:15:21 PM »

really any of the modern digital recorders do fine when fed a nice hot line signal
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2020, 06:54:03 PM »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Onkyo-SE-U55-USB-Digital-Audio-Processor-for-computers-Japan/293626730464?hash=item445d8457e0:g:UYUAAOSwo69excLw

No one seems to want it but it does an excellent job at 16/44 cassette transfers.

Appreciate the offer.  I found this: "To record from an analog source with the SE-U55 (using a Mac), you go into the analog line in or use the mic input."  Do you know how this would work with my current hardware?  None of my three units seem to have inputs...
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2020, 06:57:52 PM »

really any of the modern digital recorders do fine when fed a nice hot line signal

Ah!!  Now I'm getting it!!  So obvious in retrospect, I feel a little silly.  I've got literally about a dozen decks within a few feet of me.  D'oh!!  Thanks to all who replied, I appreciate it!
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2020, 09:05:13 PM »
i feel silly for not seeing your sig!

the M10 would be fine for cassettes

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2020, 04:14:08 PM »
^ this. Run line in on one of the recorders you list in your sig.
One of them likely can output usb, and act as a sound card.

But, I'd recommend a different workflow, based on prior experience.
Just record the line in input, then upload the file to your mac later.
Tape head alignment and pitch correction likely more important than most everything digital.

Even on modern macs, system scheduling issues can mean that your usb input to buffer process can get screwed up without an overt sign.
Running tape deck > recorder is super simple and rock solid.
Nice to be able to import and track whenever you have time, and simultaneously just churn through your pile of cassettes any time you walk by, day and night, until it's done.
Finally, a bit of research on which of those older shows are available to torrent or whatever can save a ton of time and energy. Tracking 1200 cassettes will take forever.

Have fun!
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2020, 07:28:21 AM »
I use two digi SD recorders for my transfers. I've had a MAC, had Windows used Echo boxes to convert etc. IMO, the easiest way is cassette > Digi recorder. The PMD661 has 1/8" analog in, and the DR 680 has RCA analog ins
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2020, 07:50:33 PM »

Running tape deck > recorder is super simple and rock solid.
Nice to be able to import and track whenever you have time, and simultaneously just churn through your pile of cassettes any time you walk by, day and night, until it's done.
Finally, a bit of research on which of those older shows are available to torrent or whatever can save a ton of time and energy. Tracking 1200 cassettes will take forever.

Yep, this is the plan.  Just ordered RCA to 1/8" stereo cable, will patch from deck to line in on M10.  I'll start churning away at the stack of cassettes then import and track at my leisure.
Fortunately 90+% of the tapes have already been transferred.  I have about 60 interview/radio show cassettes that I'm sending away for transfer.  The digitization place says they'll convert to 128bit mp3 which is adequate enough for me as they're only mostly spoken word.  I have another 50 tapes that are concert recordings though and those I want to transfer myself at the highest quality possible. 

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2020, 10:43:43 AM »

Appreciate the offer.  I found this: "To record from an analog source with the SE-U55 (using a Mac), you go into the analog line in or use the mic input."  Do you know how this would work with my current hardware?  None of my three units seem to have inputs...

Macs? Wait... don't all macs have USB ports? SE-U55 is a USB A>D unit. It's (OMG I'm gonna say it: "Old School" now!)

The other thing I would try (back on the early 2000s) is RCA out form the cassette deck to RCA in on the SBM-1, then COAX out from there to any digi-in recorder. I think jerryfreak said he has the SBM-1 you'd want ( I can't believe I still remember this stuff) and I can send you a PMD661 for the tail end. Then you'd just need to transfer files off the card. Once you set up the sound prefs on your mac(s), though, you can pull clean USB in audio and record in sound studio, which is what I did to all those DATs from 2001-2011. I have a ton of crap you could use for this, just ping me.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 12:34:55 PM by jb63 »
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Nine Inch Nails Live Archive
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2020, 08:26:20 PM »
I've found my newer Macs to be a PITA when it comes to using any sort of USB interface when it comes to connecting audio. Some aren't even recognized and won't record anything less than 44.1 kHZ (I had some LP DATs). I ran around for months before just coming down and using a Marantz PMD 671 to transfer the tapes to. Then copy it from the CF card.
http://www.ninlive.com]
http://www.ryanjonik.com
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0, Babynbox
Recorders: M10, A10, Zoom F8n, Marantz PMD-620 (Concert Mod), TCD-D8
Transfers: Everything you want

Offline GroundHog420

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Sonic Archives
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2020, 03:43:45 PM »
Hi all - It looks like I'm a tad late to this thread already, but all I was going to offer was the solution that a few others have suggested - using a recording unit and then off-loading the files into the computer. I've been using my trusty Edirol R-04 as a cassette transfer interface for years now, and then when the built-in drive starts to fill up, I just transfer the files to the computer via a USB cable. The only difference in my case is that I've got an offline PC dedicated for audio processing, as I'm not really a fan of the audio software available for Macs; but hey, that's just my personal preference. Good luck with your transfers!
Hey man, that common sense shit won't fly around here, we're from Portland, we're edgy & different or something  ???
she kept playing with the balls for around 2 years after i thought i had seen it all from them.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com