Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Let's talk Canon digital SLRs... Part 2  (Read 82573 times)

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Let's talk Canon digital SLRs... Part 2
« Reply #255 on: April 19, 2012, 10:32:36 PM »
The 7D has sealing and a Magnesium alloy body.

I think the big gripe about the 60D body (not from me personally) is that it has a polycarbonate boy and is thus more prone to breakage. 

On your purchase, I'd suggest waiting until the new model comes out and there will probably be some great prices on the older bodies.

#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #256 on: April 20, 2012, 09:11:23 AM »
Which new model? I've only heard of the 5dIII which is already out and the new 1D which just got announced. Is there a rumor that the 60D or 7D is getting replaced soon?

A couple of things I don't like from playing around with a 7D:
1) I found it hard to select just the center point for AF selection. Seems like it requires 2 button presses - hit the + button and then the multifunction button then select the focal point? I never actually got this to work while playing with it, so I'm not sure if it will remember this setting after you turn the camera off. With my 20D, I compose with the center AF point, hold the shutter button to keep it locked and then compose the shot by moving the camera. I hate having to keep pressing the shutter button to get the camera to randomly select the point I'm trying to focus on. Probably not a big deal if there's plenty of light, but when shooting wide open the DOF is too narrow to let the camera pick a focal point.
2) Live view: I also never really got this to work. I'm use to using the viewfinder, but it would be nice if the live view was also automatically on - again when using a small DOF/wide open lens it would be cool to be able to quickly check the focus with the 10x magnification. Ideally, I'd focus and compose using the viewfinder then just glance quickly down to see the 10x magnified focal center point on the LCD and if it looks good, hit the shutter button.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #257 on: April 20, 2012, 09:53:44 AM »
7D mark II has been rumored for awhile.
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #258 on: April 20, 2012, 11:52:44 AM »
Yeah, I've seen rumors of the 7DII for over a year. I was thinking if it was coming soon, it would have been announced this week. My guess now is September. I have a vacation in July, so I'm thinking about making the move to upgrade then. Would suck to buy right before the new model is announced though.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline Datfly

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #259 on: April 21, 2012, 07:49:11 AM »
Which new model? I've only heard of the 5dIII which is already out and the new 1D which just got announced. Is there a rumor that the 60D or 7D is getting replaced soon?

A couple of things I don't like from playing around with a 7D:
1) I found it hard to select just the center point for AF selection. Seems like it requires 2 button presses - hit the + button and then the multifunction button then select the focal point? I never actually got this to work while playing with it, so I'm not sure if it will remember this setting after you turn the camera off. With my 20D, I compose with the center AF point, hold the shutter button to keep it locked and then compose the shot by moving the camera. I hate having to keep pressing the shutter button to get the camera to randomly select the point I'm trying to focus on. Probably not a big deal if there's plenty of light, but when shooting wide open the DOF is too narrow to let the camera pick a focal point.
2) Live view: I also never really got this to work. I'm use to using the viewfinder, but it would be nice if the live view was also automatically on - again when using a small DOF/wide open lens it would be cool to be able to quickly check the focus with the 10x magnification. Ideally, I'd focus and compose using the viewfinder then just glance quickly down to see the 10x magnified focal center point on the LCD and if it looks good, hit the shutter button.

John,

I set my camera up & I now use the rear focus technique and I will never go back to using the front "original" shutter button to focus again.

In a nut shell rear focusing is using a custom function on your camera that allows you to "move" the shutter focus button to the back * button.
You then keep your thumb pressed on that to track & focus & then use the shutter to take the picture.
This allows you to track a object and keep it in focus. If at any time you want to recompose the image just release the focus button, recompose & shoot.
No more switching to one shot.

This link may explain it better:
http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2011/09/13/rear-focus-tutorial/

or

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/backbutton_af_article.shtml#showAll
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 07:51:06 AM by Datfly »
Mics: Schoeps MK41's - Ass't Shure & Sennheiser for stage
Pre-Amps: Naiant Tinybox 2.2 o/t 
Cables: Nbob Actives V1
Recorders: Zoom F8nPro - F3 - H6 x 3 + Tascam DR-2d x 2
Panasonic ZS100 4K X 2
Sony NX80 4K | Sony AX700 4K  X 4 Camcorders
Canon 5D MK III
Canon 300 2.8 IS II | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II | Canon 24-70 2.8 II | Canon 16-35 4.0

Offline Datfly

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #260 on: April 21, 2012, 07:58:23 AM »
Interesting that the 60D has some sealing. It isn't advertised to have any. The 7D has sealing and a Magnesium alloy body. I'm trying to decide between the 60D, saving up for a bit for the 7D or saving up some more and getting the new 5D.  I like the 20D, but at least 50% of my shots aren't focused well and for that reason I don't use it much. I like low-light, nightime and indoor photography, so having a good auto focus is important. From what I've read the 5DIII>7D>60D in that regard.

The price between the 5D III & the 7D is 2,000.00!
I have shot with all three you mention and your best bet is the 7D for the price.
The 60D is nice & the swivel screen is pretty cool but the auto focus & tracking on the 7D
outperform the 60D for sure.

If you have the 20D & upgrade to one of these beauties you will drop your jaw at the sheer size of the file!
Make sure to get bigger CF cards too.
I put my 20D in my car for "grab" shots and I laugh evertime I see the tiny LCD screen!

What will you mainly be shooting?
Panasonic ZS100 4K X 2
Canon 5D MK III
Canon 300 2.8 IS II | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II | Canon 24-70 2.8 II | Canon 16-35 4.0

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #261 on: April 21, 2012, 10:35:55 AM »
Datfly,

so  do you like the 5dIII and or the IDx? I hoping to get these bodies when funds are there. They appear to have better AF and focus selection.

Do you like any of the camera's mentioned above, I know the 1Dx is not out yet but the specs about the focus area seems to be very good.

just looking for some advice

Offline Datfly

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #262 on: April 21, 2012, 10:51:29 AM »
Datfly,

so  do you like the 5dIII and or the IDx? I hoping to get these bodies when funds are there. They appear to have better AF and focus selection.

Do you like any of the camera's mentioned above, I know the 1Dx is not out yet but the specs about the focus area seems to be very good.

BFT,

I primarily do bird photography so for me the Mark IV with the 1.3 crop factor and 10 FPS is my workhorse.
I keep it on my 300 2.8 around my shoulder for grab & flight shots and I have the 7D with the 1.6 crop factor on my 500 4.0 lens
& tripod for reach, birds in trees, swimming ducks etc.

The 1DX is just way too much $ for me & for a FF camera the 5D Mark III will do just fine.

I will add the 5D III for the superb dynamic range & the lightning fast auto focus & tracking plus
the option for FF landscapes that I "intend" to do one day.
I rented the 5D3 from Lensrental.com for one week to decide if I wanted to spend the 3,500.00 on it. I do & will.
The 6 FPS did not hinder me and the files were butter smooth. A stunning camera that is clean at some high ISO's.

Check some of my recent shots with the 5D3 here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/floridanaturephotography/
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 10:54:07 AM by Datfly »
Panasonic ZS100 4K X 2
Canon 5D MK III

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #263 on: April 21, 2012, 11:07:40 AM »
Datfly,

BFT,

I primarily do bird photography so for me the Mark IV with the 1.3 crop factor and 10 FPS is my workhorse.
I keep it on my 300 2.8 around my shoulder for grab & flight shots and I have the 7D with the 1.6 crop factor on my 500 4.0 lens

The 1DX is just way too much $ for me & for a FF camera the 5D Mark III will do just fine.

I will add the 5D III for the superb dynamic range & the lightning fast auto focus & tracking plus
I rented the 5D3 from Lensrental.com for one week to decide if I wanted to spend the 3,500.00 on it. I do & will.
The 6 FPS did not hinder me and the files were butter smooth. A stunning camera that is clean at some high ISO's.

thanks so much

I am looking for low light performance with good auto focus, I mainly take photos of people and indoor shots. I use the 40D with "L" glass and i am looking for another body, but an upgrade also.
there has been rumors of light leak on the 5DMIII, which canon said they will address soon.

wow went to the link GREAT  pics

now you say the Mark IV is your work horse for auto focus and tracking will the 1Dx be on par with it also like the 5DMIII?

thank you
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 11:13:26 AM by bluntforcetrauma »

Offline Datfly

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #264 on: April 21, 2012, 11:31:52 AM »
Datfly,

BFT,

thanks so much

I am looking for low light performance with good auto focus, I mainly take photos of people and indoor shots. I use the 40D with "L" glass and i am looking for another body, but an upgrade also.
there has been rumors of light leak on the 5DMIII, which canon said they will address soon.

wow went to the link GREAT  pics

now you say the Mark IV is your work horse for auto focus and tracking will the 1Dx be on par with it also like the 5DMIII?

thank you

From what I have read the autofocus system of the 5D3 is the same as the 1DX but the 1DX has more FPS.
If low light is your main priority stay away from the 7D, too much noise for that & go for the 5D3 that excels
in low light at higer ISO's.

The 5D3 IS on par or slightly better at tracking & focusing tan my Mark IV !!!!!

My advice is rent it for a few days or a week before you shell out thousands.

Datfly
Panasonic ZS100 4K X 2
Canon 5D MK III

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #265 on: April 22, 2012, 12:08:06 AM »

The 5DIII will be perfect for you then, great pro-level autofocus from the 1DX and excellent low light performance.  I have had my 5DIII for a few weeks now and love it... a lot.  I also upgraded from a 40D with an L lens (I only have one actually, 35mm 1.4L) and the difference is, not surprisingly, immense.  The best $3500 I ever spent (although I did get $210 cashback by buying it from J&R using my Discover card).  I'm not so sure if the light leak issue is really a big deal or more of a non-issue
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 12:12:50 AM by su6oxone »

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #266 on: April 30, 2012, 10:39:31 PM »

The 5DIII will be perfect for you then, great pro-level autofocus from the 1DX and excellent low light performance.  I have had my 5DIII for a few weeks now and love it... a lot.  I also upgraded from a 40D with an L lens (I only have one actually, 35mm 1.4L) and the difference is, not surprisingly, immense.  The best $3500 I ever spent (although I did get $210 cashback by buying it from J&R using my Discover card).  I'm not so sure if the light leak issue is really a big deal or more of a non-issue

thanks for the information. Seems I will be setting up the proverbial envelope savings account stashed under the mattress.

I know this has been discussed everywhere but......
I have been using Canon since 1979 ( i was 12), I just recently was asked while at one of my weekly Rotary meetings was to take a picture and someone handed me a NIKON, it was a DSLR and snapped off a few shots, ( ended up in the local paper), I liked the feel and the ability to use a DSLR and kind of dress it down for a simple point and shoot type of pic.  With My canon 40D as of now I sometimes have a hard time adjusting for a simple on the go photo that is really just a pic of the moment instead of a " work of art" type of pic.

so are there any NIKON><CANON users?

anyone use both NIKON and CANON now? $$$$$$$$$

Anyone use Canon for 20 years then switch to NIKON? or vice versa?

any and all personal experiences welcomed.

thank you

Offline Datfly

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #267 on: May 01, 2012, 06:17:41 AM »

thanks for the information. Seems I will be setting up the proverbial envelope savings account stashed under the mattress.

I know this has been discussed everywhere but......
I have been using Canon since 1979 ( i was 12), I just recently was asked while at one of my weekly Rotary meetings was to take a picture and someone handed me a NIKON, it was a DSLR and snapped off a few shots, ( ended up in the local paper), I liked the feel and the ability to use a DSLR and kind of dress it down for a simple point and shoot type of pic.  With My canon 40D as of now I sometimes have a hard time adjusting for a simple on the go photo that is really just a pic of the moment instead of a " work of art" type of pic.

so are there any NIKON><CANON users?

anyone use both NIKON and CANON now? $$$$$$$$$

Anyone use Canon for 20 years then switch to NIKON? or vice versa?

any and all personal experiences welcomed.

thank you

I have always hear Nikon is better on the ergonomics side.
I think both systems are top quality and I tell other photographers who ask
buy the system that most of your friends or fellow photographers use and this way
you will always have help.

Nikon used to be way more expensive then Canon but now they are almost the same.
The only dual Nikon / Canon people I know are wildlife photographers who need the Nikon
200-400 lens.

The Nikon D8000 30-some MP is Amazing!! I was drooling over the images.............
Panasonic ZS100 4K X 2
Canon 5D MK III

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #268 on: May 01, 2012, 10:04:13 AM »
you mean the D800 ;)
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #269 on: May 01, 2012, 10:33:06 AM »
With My canon 40D as of now I sometimes have a hard time adjusting for a simple on the go photo that is really just a pic of the moment instead of a " work of art" type of pic.
I have always hear Nikon is better on the ergonomics side.

IME Pentax has the best ergos, followed by pretty-good Nikon, and then pretty-bad Canon (especially their prosumer or consumer models).  Regardless of brand / make / model and ergo quality, it's mostly just a question of getting accustomed to your particular camera and / or lens for the type of shooting you do -- unless what you want to do is buried deep in an on-screen menu and there's no option to re-map hard buttons or create shortcuts, in which case no amount of practice will help.  Shoot a lot, even just for practice, to help build the muscle and brain memory and it'll become second nature in due time.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 11:01:43 AM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com